FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Drool... (read: iTunes contest thread)

Author Topic: Drool... (read: iTunes contest thread)
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Apple is giving out prizes in anticipation of their 100 millionth song purchase from iTunes.

Starting on the 95 millionth song sold, Apple is giving away a special edition 20 gig iPod to each purchaser of each 100,000th song. At the 100 millionth? A 17" powerbook, a 40 gig iPod, and a gift certificate for 10,000 iTunes songs.

*drools*

You can watch the song-counter on their homepage. It updates every few minutes, showing off an average of 400-600 purchases a minute. Folks have already writted banners and graphing programs for fun.

This is one of the coolest promotions I've ever seen. It's made much more dramatic by the ability to watch the song counter creep up. They expect the first iPod to be given out tomorrow, with the contest probably ending in a week or two.

[ July 01, 2004, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Suneun ]

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Any bets on how fast sales skyrocket when the round numbers pop up? This is a great deal for them, a sales promotion that's fun to get drawn in by.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

well I'm _sure_ that several dozen geeks are happily compiling data, so we'll know =)

A lot of people (read: apple geeks) are curious whether shopping cart purchases are done simultaneously, or computed when each song gets downloaded. 'Cause at the current rates, it's about 10 songs a second, which means you _could_ try to purchase 100 songs at the right minute. But hundreds of other geeks will be doing the same thing.

[ July 01, 2004, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Suneun ]

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any money. If someone wins the powerbook, will they give it to me?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
If I win, I'll give it to you babe.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

You do understand that you have to buy songs to win, right? [Razz]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
It makes being generous about my potential winings a whole lot easier, I tell you what.

Hobbes [Smile]

[ July 01, 2004, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

hee hee hee

Actually, at the rate I'm going, I'll be lucky if I don't murder my present powerbook before the weekend is out.

[Mad] <-- emoticon of frustration

Suneun
Member # 3247

Annie, anything someone could help you out with? You're beyond your warranty?

And for those who are obsessive/bored/procrastinating... a listing of the numbers with a estimated DOA of the first give-away. (looks like it'll be about 3 am EST)

Annie
Member # 295

My computer's being fine... it's the blasted software that won't cooperate. I keep taking web design jobs and I have no idea what I'm doing.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
*cough*
*points at self*
*will gladly help with web design problems*

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
<--- knows a thing or two himself [Wink] .

[ July 02, 2004, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

They updated the official rules. The first give-away is at 95,100,000, but it's funny to see the spike in the chart because most people thought it was going to be given away at 95,000,000.

There's a free e-mail entry method. If you're in the iTunes store and are browsing songs, it shows you a "Tell a friend" link (showed up below the album picture for me). This lets you send an e-mail to a friend about the song/album. You can send this to itunes100@apple.com and it'll be submitted. No need to sign up for an account.

Suneun
Member # 3247

*bump*

In the next 2-3 hours, the 17" powerbook, 40 gig iPod, and 10,000 iTunes songs will be given out.

Check Apple and Countdown to see it creep towards 100 million.

Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- Runs a web design college on Mac OS X. I can help out if need be, Annie.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.