FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » He's an evil demon robot I tell you. (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: He's an evil demon robot I tell you.
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

- posted      Profile for peter the bookie           Edit/Delete Post 
before or after taxes?
Posts: 318 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Robot Mormon.

Hmmm.

He should procreate as often as possible. He builds a factory and goes into mass production.

He should spend time on a mission to convert those who have not heard the truth. He spends a year talking to the toaster and other assorted appliances about a personal relationship to God.

He should trace his family history. He prays for the soul of his dearly departed forebear, a 1946 Studebaker. (Would you believe a 1982 Commodore 64?)

He finally passes away due to a metalic reaction to blue Jello.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan- you obviously don't know ANYTHING about Mormons.

It's green jello! GREEN jello!

Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they had to pick a semi-informed contestant someday. Of course, probably had to fake a few wrong answers to get past the screening.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mockingbird
Member # 5640

- posted      Profile for Mockingbird   Email Mockingbird         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They don't pay less if it's different folks or the same guy over and over that's winning, right?
Yeah, but Kenny-boy's been averaging about $35,000 a day. I'm sure their average winner's take isn't anywhere close to that.

And yeah, I've started tuning in to Jeopardy lately just to see what happens to him, and what (or who) finally brings him down. The guy is amazing - he combines incredible quickness on the buzzer with his deep knowledge. I consider myself a pretty good trivia person, but he'd make toast of me.

I wonder if there's any way they can change the rule again and end his run? I wouldn't be surprised if they have contestants sign a contract that would allow that. On the other hand, I wonder if their viewership has gone up since Ken's gone on his run? That's the real bottom line.

quote:
before or after taxes?
Personal decision. Before is encouraged by some leaders but not mandatory. You have to decide for yourself what "income" really means.

[ July 02, 2004, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Mockingbird ]

Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
My interpretation is basically, some stuff like soscial security and what-not, get's cut off may pay-check before I even see it, so that I don't take 10% of, everything else though, 10% goes to tithing. But that's just me, everyone has their own ideas.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
while he might get higher than the average take on each show...he prob bumps their ratings since people want to see the amazing robotic morman [Smile]

the fact that he is tithing prob will interest more of the general public...it is not like people generally announce that they will be giving 10% of their take to the church on most game shows.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
How'd that come up? Did he announce it, or did Alex ask? "Speaking of the HUGE amount of money you sweeping in, are you giving any of it to that freakish church you belong to?" I just can't imagine asking someone about tithing like that. Please, please tell me he didn't volunteer the information...
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Trebek asked him what he was going to do with his boat-load of $. Robot said 10% to the church, then take the rest and take his wife on a Euro vacation. Pretty standard answer.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
my roomate said this guy was on sports center the other morning.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom used to be a huge Jeopardy fan, but quit watching it a few months ago. I just called her and told her about this guy (since Hatrack keeps me so well-informed) and now she's going to watch it today and see how he does.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
These episodes were filmed in February, and he's back in Utah now, so either he looses or they make him leave (I bet it's the former myself), anyways, the desicion to kick him off couldn't have been based on ratings, since it was filmed so long before it was aired.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mockingbird
Member # 5640

- posted      Profile for Mockingbird   Email Mockingbird         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
These episodes were filmed in February, and he's back in Utah now, so either he looses or they make him leave (I bet it's the former myself), anyways, the desicion to kick him off couldn't have been based on ratings, since it was filmed so long before it was aired.
Eeep. My bad. I knew that already; I just wasn't thinking carefully enough. Focusing on drafting a license agreement between postings can fry your brain.

So ... will they change the rule to prohibit future contestants from having such a long run? [Cool]

Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So ... will they change the rule to prohibit future contestants from having such a long run?
Never. They're getting too much press out of this. It's not like he's costing them a lot of extra [u]money [/u]compared to the publicity.

Dagonee
code:
P.S., sorry for the formatting - just testing a Firefox add-in.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

This guy is sure getting a lot of national press this week! He is up to nearly a million dollars now. I'm sure Jeopardy is loving it because it has made them a focal point and lots of people are tuning in to watch now after hearing about it.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/07/12/jeopardy.winner.ap/index.html

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom thought there must be a mormon on the "answers" staff of Jeopardy for a long time. They had responses like " the largest city west of Chicago prior to 1845" (What was Nauvoo) and a few about Joseph Smith.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Was it just my imagination, or did they change the rules (and double the prize money) in reaction to Who Wants to be a Millionaire ?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
If the Mormon Robot does need counseling, I know some people...
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Not to get confused with Fitz's thread -- but the titles are misleading some people....

FG [Big Grin]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This guy is sure getting a lot of national press this week! He is up to nearly a million dollars now.
Poor guy. What a waste of his time. He could have gotten it all in one night on "Millionaire".
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Poor guy. What a waste of his time. He could have gotten it all in one night on "Millionaire".
Though you need a bit more luck in Millionaire to win. Jepardy relies a bit more on your overall knowledge...if you don't know an answer or two that is ok, as long as overall you are better than the rest of the people who go up against you.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- refuses to say she was kidding.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beaver Dick Leigh
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Beaver Dick Leigh           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, what's that fella know? Get 'im in the wilderness and they all bleed red.
Posts: 145 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom and dad always thought the Jeapordy players got a lousy rap....harder than any other game show (how hard is it to spin a wheel), only 5 days max, and only the winner gets to keep the money.

I was gald to hear them lift the day restriction last year, and it is paying off for both the guy and the show....ratings are through the roof.

My money is that he loses; they mad a big deal out of lifting the restrictions, and can't go back on that now without it being breach of contract.

Also, Alex asked him if he could get to the longest consecutive run ever on a game show, but said he neede over 46 to beat it....so i don't think he got booted, he probably just lost.

After clearing over a million. [Big Grin]

You mean I could be paid for being a know-it-all? Wait, that means I need to be right too...nevermind...
[Evil]

Kwea
Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mockingbird
Member # 5640

Vague rumor around Utah (repeated on another message board) is that Ken hasn't lost; the show is just in hiatus for the summer and he'll be invited back in the fall to continue his reign. FWIW.

Also, Ken appeared on Letterman tonight and read "Top 10 things that annoy Alex Trebek". Some were funny ("Insist on buying a vowel") but a couple were rather off-color (e.g., "Buzz in without using your hands"). I was a little surprised that Ken didn't object to repeating those ones, after so much publicity about being a Mormon. Maybe he's hiding some naughtiness behind that choir-boy exterior. [Evil]

fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, what do you expect from an evil demon robot?
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Mockingbird -- maybe he didn't understand them [Big Grin] After all, if he's a naive' Mormon.....

[Wink]

FG

Kwea
Member # 2199

Spoiler warning..................
.I heard that he wins for at least the next two days, and easily breaks a million.......Mikey Evans, the gossip columnist, said it today on his "Holywood Report".

.Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
Short article in our Salina, Kansas paper about a couple who were in the audience when he won his 42nd and 43rd time. From the Salina Journal 13 July 04:

quote:

Television viewers Monday saw “Jeopardy” game show star Ken Jennings raise his winnings to $972,960.

Salinans Bart and Mary Tannahill say they saw the same Salt Lake City, Utah, software engineer eclipse the $1.4 million mark in late April.

The couple were in the studio audience in Culver City, Calif., for a taping of the popular game show, the 42nd- and 43rd-straight appearances for Jennings.

ABC Television aired his 29th show Monday when he won $52,000. The shows the Tannahills witnessed won’t be on until Sept. 9 and 10, they said.

So it sounds like he will be around at least all summer. He has an amazing range of factual knowledge and an understanding of how the game works.
Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Not to mention amazing finger speed...

Must be from being celibate for all those years before his marrage... [Evil]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

HEY! People, I depend on y'all to keep me updated on these critical news stories! [No No]

I hear tell he lost?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I heard an unconfirmed sort of rumor that he did finally lose, with a total of 2.1 million in winnings or something.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Spoiler alert! Spoiler alert!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10325-2004Sep9.html

(login: bugmenot2@aol.com/bugmenot)

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, I thought this thread was going to be about Dick Cheney as portrayed in the Weekly World News. I mean, C'MON! Everyone knows he is an evil demon robot anyway...
Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Thanks, Dagonee!

Ah, the time-travel world of pretaped TV shows, where he won't have lost until October . . . *eyes cross*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

More spoilers:
Tonight he loses!

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems very fishy based on the final question he missed.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

From the article:

quote:
Even skeptics started to take that September spoiler seriously when King World took Jennings off for two weeks early in the November ratings sweeps in favor of the 2004 "Jeopardy!" College Championship. Jennings has been a major ratings boon for the long-running syndicated game show. Industry wags speculated that producers must not have had enough Jennings episodes to get through the sweeps and wanted to make sure his final appearance coincided with its end tomorrow night.

No one involved on the show, which is produced by Sony Pictures Television and distributed by King World, would comment on the audio clip on Kottke.org.

Interestingly, however, Jennings is scheduled to be a guest on tonight's "Late Show With David Letterman," which airs on CBS, which is owned by Viacom, which also owns King World.

And, in another of those incredible coincidences, "Nightline" -- which airs on ABC, many of whose stations carry "Jeopardy!" -- will this very night devote its entire broadcast to that show. ABC News correspondent Judy Muller will interview Jennings and show creator Merv Griffin, a "Nightline" rep told The Washington Post's TV Team, while emphasizing that the show is about "a day in the life of 'Jeopardy!,' " as opposed to, say, a show about Ken Jennings losing. Because they want to make sure we get word to you that Jennings is on "Nightline" tonight, but they don't want to be accused of letting the cat out of the bag about Jennings losing. I'm just guessing here that the "Nightline" folks do not even realize the episode is going to air during the November sweeps.

If he doesn't lose tonight, it's a masterful piece of misinformation. Either way it's fun.

Dagonee

Heffaji
Member # 3669

- posted      Profile for Heffaji   Email Heffaji         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, I have to be back in Indiana where the show is aired after 7 instead of 3:30 at home.
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Doggone it, I'm not going to be home tonight. I'll have to tape it.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
So, is it just me, or does anyone gasp out "El Diablo Robotico?" when they see this thread title?

Wish I could watch it, but AFAIK, Jeopardy is still run in early afternoon here -- long before I get home. [Frown]

edit: they need a function to convert HTML to UBB, dammit!

[ November 30, 2004, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: xnera ]

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Eek!] It wasn't misinformation.
rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, maybe I just watched Quiz Show too recently . . . but did anyone else think he just didn't look all that upset? Ya think he was paid off?
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yep....to the tune of over 2 million... [Big Grin]
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but paid off by who? Aliens? Elvis? A second quiz show?
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Steadily dropping ratings (hey, there was a REASON tonight was leaked) might have prompted Jeopardy (or its advertisers) to pay him off. Say, an extra million or two for losing now? [Dont Know]

Yeah, I definitely saw Quiz Show too recently. [Wink]

Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he lost. And I've lost my will to watch Jeopardy. There's always the tournament of champions for him to reign genius down upon. [Big Grin]

LONG LIVE KEN JENNINGS!

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Jennings to become spokesman for MS Encarta.

quote:
Microsoft has tapped Jeopardy! king Ken Jennings, who recently finished his 75-game run on the show, to become the spokesman for its Encarta product line. Jennings will embark on a nationwide media tour called "Quiz the Whiz" that challenges news desks to stump the human encyclopedia with questions from Microsoft's Encarta Reference Library Premium 2005.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.