FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » He's an evil demon robot I tell you. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: He's an evil demon robot I tell you.
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, I thought this thread was going to be about Dick Cheney as portrayed in the Weekly World News. I mean, C'MON! Everyone knows he is an evil demon robot anyway...
Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Dagonee!

Ah, the time-travel world of pretaped TV shows, where he won't have lost until October . . . *eyes cross*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
More spoilers:
Tonight he loses!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems very fishy based on the final question he missed.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

From the article:

quote:
Even skeptics started to take that September spoiler seriously when King World took Jennings off for two weeks early in the November ratings sweeps in favor of the 2004 "Jeopardy!" College Championship. Jennings has been a major ratings boon for the long-running syndicated game show. Industry wags speculated that producers must not have had enough Jennings episodes to get through the sweeps and wanted to make sure his final appearance coincided with its end tomorrow night.

No one involved on the show, which is produced by Sony Pictures Television and distributed by King World, would comment on the audio clip on Kottke.org.

Interestingly, however, Jennings is scheduled to be a guest on tonight's "Late Show With David Letterman," which airs on CBS, which is owned by Viacom, which also owns King World.

And, in another of those incredible coincidences, "Nightline" -- which airs on ABC, many of whose stations carry "Jeopardy!" -- will this very night devote its entire broadcast to that show. ABC News correspondent Judy Muller will interview Jennings and show creator Merv Griffin, a "Nightline" rep told The Washington Post's TV Team, while emphasizing that the show is about "a day in the life of 'Jeopardy!,' " as opposed to, say, a show about Ken Jennings losing. Because they want to make sure we get word to you that Jennings is on "Nightline" tonight, but they don't want to be accused of letting the cat out of the bag about Jennings losing. I'm just guessing here that the "Nightline" folks do not even realize the episode is going to air during the November sweeps.

If he doesn't lose tonight, it's a masterful piece of misinformation. Either way it's fun.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heffaji
Member # 3669

- posted      Profile for Heffaji   Email Heffaji         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, I have to be back in Indiana where the show is aired after 7 instead of 3:30 at home.
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Doggone it, I'm not going to be home tonight. I'll have to tape it.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
So, is it just me, or does anyone gasp out "El Diablo Robotico?" when they see this thread title?

Wish I could watch it, but AFAIK, Jeopardy is still run in early afternoon here -- long before I get home. [Frown]

edit: they need a function to convert HTML to UBB, dammit!

[ November 30, 2004, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: xnera ]

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Eek!] It wasn't misinformation.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, maybe I just watched Quiz Show too recently . . . but did anyone else think he just didn't look all that upset? Ya think he was paid off?
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep....to the tune of over 2 million... [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but paid off by who? Aliens? Elvis? A second quiz show?
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Steadily dropping ratings (hey, there was a REASON tonight was leaked) might have prompted Jeopardy (or its advertisers) to pay him off. Say, an extra million or two for losing now? [Dont Know]

Yeah, I definitely saw Quiz Show too recently. [Wink]

Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he lost. And I've lost my will to watch Jeopardy. There's always the tournament of champions for him to reign genius down upon. [Big Grin]

LONG LIVE KEN JENNINGS!

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Jennings to become spokesman for MS Encarta.

quote:
Microsoft has tapped Jeopardy! king Ken Jennings, who recently finished his 75-game run on the show, to become the spokesman for its Encarta product line. Jennings will embark on a nationwide media tour called "Quiz the Whiz" that challenges news desks to stump the human encyclopedia with questions from Microsoft's Encarta Reference Library Premium 2005.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.