FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Someone actually interviews Bush instead of his press secretary

Author Topic: Someone actually interviews Bush instead of his press secretary
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/gate/archive/2004/07/01/worldviews.DTL

Bush's interviews have always been characterized by their, ah, non-spontaneous nature. That is, the answers are pretty much all known beforehand, even when the questions are not (to make it even more plain: stock answers are used when unexpected questions arise).

US reporters haven't been doing any hard hitting at all -- calling Bush on those evasions.

The irish reporter in the above article wasn't nearly as hard hitting as she could be (check the interview transcript), and even then got an official complaint made by the white house. For instance, she points out that in many people's viewpoints, the invasion of Iraq has increased the level of terrorism around the world, stating that terrorists attacks are now a near daily occurence while two years ago they were not. Bush just started talking about September 11th, as if that were some sort of cue for terrorists to increase their attacks.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted this the other day ^^
Bush just looks... so...

I'll rant about it a little later...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
It's called European Journalism. [Big Grin]

You don't let 'em leave 'till they've given you an answer. That is how journalism should be. Politicians should be forced to give real answers, and if they refuse to, make sure the people listening know that:

"Well since you're not going to answer that question, sir, moving right along..."

The thing to do is to be absolutely polite about it. *evil laugh*

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
The part I found disturbing was when she asked him about religion.

quote:
Q Do you believe that the hand of God is guiding you in this war on terror?

THE PRESIDENT: Listen, I think that God -- that my relationship with God is a very personal relationship. And I turn to the good Lord for strength. And I turn to the good Lord for guidance. I turn to the good Lord for forgiveness.

But the God I know is not one that -- the God I know is one that promotes peace and freedom. But I get great sustenance from my personal relationship. That doesn't make me think I'm a better person than you are, by the way. Because one of the great admonitions in the Good Book is, don't try to take a speck out of your eye if I've got a log in my own.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/06/20040625-2.html

What bothers me about it that he said he didn't think he was a better person than she was.

My question is, since she didn't ask, why would he have brought it up, unless he actually was thinking he was better than she was. It just seems like a really weird thing to say, but maybe it's just me.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard several people use qualifiers like that when discussing their spiritual beliefs. I think it's usually done over worry that they might offend the other person.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, he did not sound happy in that interview transcript.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
I think its interesting how they say things like, "Bush's tendency to respond by testily demanding ," and, "Bush replied increduously "

They should just report how the interview took place, not write it like a book.

Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you listen to the interview or read the transcript? I can easily see how those adjectives fit in. I doubt it's much of an exaggeration.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Promethius: I agree.

[rant]
It bugs me no end when reporters editorialize. Let the columnists add their interpretations, the reporters have an obligation to present the facts as objectively as possible.

If you can read a news article and determine the political beliefs of the reporter, that reporter has not done his or her job.
[/rant]

Suneun: Just removing the adverbs wouild be enough.

"Bush's tendency to respond by testily demanding ," and, "Bush replied increduously "

"Bush's tendency to respond by demanding ," and, "Bush replied "

Just as informative and it avoids loaded words that can color the readser's opinions. Keep in mind that I'm not attempting to defend Mr. Bush - I'm opposed to the vast majority of his presidency, in fact - but I despise sloppy reporting.

[ July 02, 2004, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepherdess
Member # 6115

- posted      Profile for Shepherdess   Email Shepherdess         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Chris--reporters will always be influenced by their political beliefs, even when they are simply choosing what to report (and what to omit)!

The sad thing is when they are so sure they're being "even handed" that they can no longer detect and filter their own biases.

Posts: 107 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0624/primetime/primetime56_1c.smil

I posted this video the other day. Use Real Media to play it.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slacker
Member # 2559

- posted      Profile for slacker   Email slacker         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to see some of the reporters that have grilled Tony Blair take Bush on in a live interview. It'd be interesting to say the least.

I kinda feel sorry for public officials who don't get "pre-fed" the questions, but then again, they signed up for it knowing the requirements and they obviously accepted them.

Posts: 851 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I kinda feel sorry for public officials who don't get "pre-fed" the questions
Why? When you take an exam do you get pre-fed the answers? No. You can predict what you'll be asked, but no one is giving you the answers. An interview is like an exam, for a politician. The politician should study to know the potemtial answers- if they resort to blather it's the same as any person resorting to blather in an attempt to get full marks.

Don't feel sorry for them. When was the last time you knew the answers to an exam. These people are supposed to be the elite, our leaders. Instead we treat them like remedial students!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.