FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How Not To Be a Maid of Honor

Author Topic: How Not To Be a Maid of Honor
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
#1 Don't drop the ring
#2 Don't drop the ring
#3 Don't drop the ring...

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
#4 Don't fart.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
#5 Don't wear a lampshade and flirt too much with the groom.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
don't do both of those in combo or don't do either, individually?
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops! [Eek!] Where'd the ring end up, AJ?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Actually #1 should be have a bride who loves you like a sister and loves you even in spite of the fact that if anyone is going to drop the ring you are.

The bride was beautiful. The best man gave me the appropriate ring just before the ceremony. Being a large mans ring I slipped it on my middle finger but it was still loose. It fell off when I went to adjust the bride's 6 foot train, after she walked up the aisle.

After one of the purest moments of sheer panic I have ever experienced, I had my mother start backtracking my footsteps. The bridesmaid next to me and I started scanning the ground. I shifted my position slightly and realized that the ring had fallen to the ground before I'd gotten to the train (I was having visions of attempting to scramble around underneath the bride's train that weren't pretty).

Anyway when I'd gotten back to my position my own dress had covered it up on the ground. I stooped down and picked it up and the crisis was averted. It was apparently highly entertaining to the audience.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((AJ))))) Oy! Good that you can laugh about it now . . . and very kind of you to provide entertainment for the guests!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
AJ, that reminded me of Ramona Forever, when Aunt Bea gets married - the ring goes flying and gets caught around Aunt Bea's heel as she steps back to see where it landed. No one saw where it went but Ramona, who has to kneel down and retrieve it.

So you're in good company. [Smile]

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
indeed. [Smile]
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome, AJ.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Ramona Quimby, gotta love that girl! It's been FOREVER since I have read those books [Wink]

Err, did I say I read them? umm. not I didn't [Wink] They're GIRL books. hehe

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hee hee [Big Grin]

I'm sure you were lovely.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't pick your nose while you carry the pillow bearing the ring, either.

(Compliments of my 3 year old nephew)

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry AJ, one of our Wisdoms dropped Vincent's ring and we don't blame her at all. Actually it was quite funny.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing like a little diversion to make a wedding memorable. The last wedding I was at they couldn't get the unity candle to light so the groom finally got the scripto lighter they had lighted their little candles by and lit the big unity candle.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe, I remember the part with the ring from Anna's wedding ! And I thought it was funny too [Big Grin] By the way, Anna, what happened to the photos from your wedding ? If I remember correctly, you said you have sent them to Foobonic. Any news on that ?
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

I sent them to Hobbes 'cause foobonic was down. Since it works again, I will send them to Ralphie as soon as I have time to do so.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Unity candle ? Which rite is it ? It sounds beautiful...
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
That's got to be the matrimonial equivalent of not breaking under fire! Good save, it sounds like:)
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Grace under fire is far more valuable than good manual dexterity. [Hat]

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Everything else went quite well. There was a little snag with the officiant being late, and the recycled garter was an interesting moment as well.

The officiant was printing out a lovely scripted parchment of the ceremony for a keepsake, and apparently had a computer snafu that made her late.

The recycled garter convienently took care of the "borrowed" part of the "old, new, borrowed, blue" bit. I assumed she bought a garter when she bought the rest of her wedding underthings, only to find out the morning of the wedding that there was no garter. The wedding was scheduled for 8am due to the Arizona heat, so it wasn't like we could just run out and buy one either. Anyway it turned out the groom had a garter that he had caught at a previous wedding. So while it was a bit unorthodox for the bride to borrow the garter from the groom, it all worked out fine! It wasn't exactly an "orthodox" wedding to begin with.

The other thing that was interesting was the astonishing number of PhDs in various subjects on the grooms side of the family. They were a delight to talk to and I got along with them ok but they couldn't quite figure out why I didn't have a PhD.

AJ

Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
How not to be a bride:
#1: Don't wear your engagement ring on your wedding day.

I had a sheer moment of horror when Tom put the ring on my finger and we both discovered that I already had a ring there!

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

I almost did that one ! At the last moment I decided not to wear it (I though about wearing it on the other hand, but it didn't match with my dress and jewels)
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
It could have been worse. We've all seen the Fox Videos showing the real #1 bridesmade mistake--a quicky with the groom before the wedding.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
there's always a snag. it's just a matter of how gracefully you handle the snag.

by not running down the aisle after her immediatly, you have been successfully graceful.

[Wink]

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie Mayhem
Member # 6203

- posted      Profile for Annie Mayhem   Email Annie Mayhem         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a HUGE archive of wedding (and other) horror stories at Etiquette Hell (www.etiquettehell.com). They'll keep you entertained for hours!

-=AM=-

Posts: 21 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"How not to be a bride:
#1: Don't wear your engagement ring on your wedding day."

Actually, you really are supposed to wear it, on your right hand. Then, after the band goes on, you put the engagement ring on. That is why they sell matched rings.

AJ, I believe you lived out the dreams/nightmares of many a wedding-support person. Just be careful when you get married, and remember to put on your dress before you walk down the aisle!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Old Frisco:

quote:
#4 Don't fart
Actually, I attending a wedding at which the bride accidentally let one fly at the altar. Stress, I guess.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Actually, I attending a wedding at which the bride accidentally let one fly at the altar. Stress, I guess."

Ahhhhh, another of someone's nightmares come true!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

maybe I'll have a wiccan ceremony, then I won't have to worry about acoutrements...

[Wink]
AJ

Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Sky-clad wedding, eh AJ? [Big Grin]
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
::snorts::
sky-clad? Why would I wish the sight of my fat as....nevermind...

My nephew was our ring bearer and the pillow he carried had a fake ring on it so he wouldn't drop it. We didn't tell him that though...and halfway through the ceremony the fake ring fell off, and he went into a panicked frenzy looking for it, afraid of ruining our wedding.... [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jalapenoman
Member # 6575

- posted      Profile for Jalapenoman   Email Jalapenoman         Edit/Delete Post 
At my wedding to my first wife, we could not get the rings off of the stupid little pillow. The knots were tightened down really hard to that they did not fall off. I had to whip out my pocket knife and cut them off.

At my brother's wedding (I was the best man), he could not get the ring to fit on his wife's finger. I kept asking him if he was sure it was the correct finger, and they both assured me it was. I told them just to shove it as far as it would go and I would get it re-sized while they were on their honeymoon. At the reception, we discovered, to all of our embarrasment (bride, groom, best man, maid of honor, and minister) that my brother had put the wedding ring on the ring finger of her "right" hand instead of her left. She then spent thirty minutes in the bathroom with soap trying to get it off and switch hands.

Posts: 279 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Sometimes the ring can't be put on the finger because they grow bigger with stress. I know a bunch of people who lived that.
Not me, hopefully. One "ring error" at a time is perfect for me. [Big Grin]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.