FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 4th of July stupidity (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 4th of July stupidity
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Whether I was bragging about my stupidity, or if I was mostly just marveling that I was still alive in spite of it.
Hmmmm... I wonder which I was doing when I started this thread?

By the way, can some one turn the juke box up? I can still hear myself think.

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been mulling around whether to admit the stupidity of this story, especially because of my own sheer stupidity, and the fact that under the Homeland Security Act, I would probably be thrown in jail.

But here goes.

I was out in the woods with three friends (one is now a cop, one a teacher, and the other, a physician) and we decided to light off some fireworks, including some "homemade" ones. The main constituency in our arsenal was the average bottle rocket, while I pocketed some very dangerous explosives in a hooded sweatshirt. You can visualize the nice big front pocket, right?

Well the cop decides he is going to start a bottle rocket war and begins to light them off in his hand and aims them at the three of us, which is unfair, since I have no bottle rockets, and the explosives would blow him into chunks.

Somehow, one of his won bottle rockets deflects off the ground and shoots back in his general direction. He turns sideways and spins, and the bottle rocket miraculously ignites an entire pack of bottle rockets he had sticking out of his rear pants pocket.

We actually stood and giggled for about 1 second as he ran around in a cropcircle as his rear end was popping off like something from Little Rascals . Then the teacher wised up and we tackled him and put him out.

After about ten minutes, I realized it could have been me and 3 homemade bombs that could have been ignited, and I would, of course, be dead.

The cop ended up in the emergency room and had to slather silver sulfadiazine cream on his butt for a week, but was not permanently harmed.

And just last night, we were out putting off bottle rockets...

[ July 11, 2004, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Alucard... ]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
An appreciation for life and a realization of just how easy it is to ruin a life are perspectives that come with experience.

I'll refrain from recounting my teenage angst and the many narrow misses I've had behind the wheel.

I don't think there is a singular solution to preventing teen death and injury - the best you can do is make sure they understand the realities of "wow, that could have been me."

It's one thing to see a picture of a car wreck, it's another to be within arms' reach. And then there's always the morgue if you really want to take the "scared straight" approach.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
This past weekend I was watching some of my friends stick firecrackers in an ant nest. [ROFL] It was really cool watching the dirt fly. But they seemed surprised that the ants were biting them all over. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, that wasn't the first time I've been to a "professional" fireworks show where things went wrong.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meruhesae
Member # 6698

- posted      Profile for Meruhesae   Email Meruhesae         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] Wow, and I thought I was wasting my teenage years playing video games. *shudder*
Posts: 18 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.