FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Napoleon Dynamite (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Napoleon Dynamite
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. My. Stars.

First, I have been on that date. The one the mother made her go on. I didn't do what she did. It was miserable.

Second, holy crap. I might have been wearing that dress.

Third, the final scene - yes, that one - was...beautiful. Simply beautiful.

Fourth, I can still feel the physical pain resulting from watching that movie. I was cringing so often my stomach muscles hurt.

Anyone seen it?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never herd of it.
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to film school with Napoleon Dynamite. Aren't I cool?
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Just as cool as Napoleon is.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Zing.....?
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
(This is Jon Boy.)

I want to see it so bad. It's showing in Salt Lake. Maybe this weekend . . .

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
JT - it's a movie about a nerd, insofar as I can tell from the trailer.

I can't say it's high on my "must see" list (or at all), but that's just me.

Yahoo movie page

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
katharina,

I've heard that "you've gotta see it", but followed by "it's about... pretty much nothing."

[Confused]

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat!

My husband and I saw this movie yesterday and we LOVED it! We've been reading the reviews and we've decided that those critics who didn't like it didn't get it.

Most kids love it. That makes me happy. There's nothing profane. That Hess guy (director)demonstrates his brillance by resisting many opportunities to go into absurdity. He comes really close at times, but never too far.

There's one poo-poo review on rotton tomatoes by a chick who I don't think watched the movie. She didn't even get the rating correct. And, the dirtiest word in the movie was "piss". That was irritating. GOSH! But, many other reviews were pretty good.

Kudos to the Houston Chronicle for the good review. It's the only reason we knew about it out here in S. Texas.

Good flick. If you'll excuse me now, a wolverine is attacking my husband and I have to go shoot it with my 12 gauge.

Edit: Add review links

[ July 24, 2004, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: aretee ]

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you'll excuse me now, a wolverine is attacking my husband and I have to go shoot it with my 12 gauge.
[ROFL] somehow I can just picture this. The opposite of the damsel in distress....

The reviews I read also did NOT make me want to go see it. You say it's worth it? Is it considered just a chick-flick (too emotional for the guys) or do guys like the movie too?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

It's slow. It's not too emotional. It just "hits the nerd in all of us."

I keep reading how it has no plot. There is a plot. There are a few. But ask OSC how he feels about "plot" and "theme". Blah. Those people just don't get it.

It's sweet. Napoleon can dance. He's got skills.

HINT: Stay until after the credits are over. There's another 3-4 minutes of movie.

ADVICE: Go see it and see for yourself.

Edit: Stupid typos

[ July 24, 2004, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: aretee ]

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

Reread your post. Not a chick flick!

I said it's slow, but it's the first movie (in the theatre) in three years that my husband hasn't dozed off in.

aretee
Member # 1743

*bump*
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
It was hilarious. Jon Boy and I have been quoting it and busting up laughing ever since we saw it about a week ago. We're chomping at the bit to go see it again. We're thinking a Hatrack get-together when everybody gets back at the end of August might be nice, unless it's not in theaters anymore by then. Hm.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

If you wait until the middle of September, I'll be in Utah.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, KatieCon!
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I might be in Utah in late August. Might be meaning my Mom will be and I might be coming with her.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.

Wow.

Bev and I just got back from seeing that movie.

I can't believe it.

That movie is about me.

I'm serious -- in High School, I was Napoleon Dynamite.

It's eerie.

It wasn't a perfect movie. But I loved it. I know I'm gonna be quoting it for weeks now.

I realy want to share it with some friends now.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
So it is one definitely worth seeing? I was just trying ot find someone here at work that had seen it, none have, I want to. I wonder where it's showing...
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
So, on the front page of www.hatrack.com [Wink] OSC reviewed this movie...and it sounds like he took it really seriously. Sheesh. I've seen it twice and completely laughed my head off. I didn't see Napoleon as a real person, but more like an extreme version of someone we've all felt like now and then. I don't think the writers meant for it to be a painful experience for the viewers, but more of a reminder that we weren't the only ones with lives like that...or that had to wear moon boots as shoes. (been there. Done that.)

I also didn't realize how popular this movie has become. I was at my high school's (where I'm student teaching) fall pep rally and one of their pep team came out dressed as ND in a "Vote 4 Pedro" tee-shirt, moon boots, and everything...and the crowd went wild. I thought the place would come unglued with cheering, laughter and applause, and I was pleasantly surprised that I wasn't the only one that really laughed at this movie. I still walk around saying "Goooosh! Idiot!!" under my breath.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimeTim
Member # 2768

- posted      Profile for TimeTim   Email TimeTim         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that I was one of the people who found this movie incredibly painful. I almost walked out, my gut was wound up so tight. My fists were clenched and I was almost scrunched up in a fetal position. Good movie, horrible memories.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else a little put off by how OSC cried in it? Not to be a jerk or anything....
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
This movie was awesome.

...Poor He-Man [Frown]

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyone else a little put off by how OSC cried in it? Not to be a jerk or anything....
Naw...I think it's sweet. Hell, I cry at so-called comedy flicks. Anyone ever see "Mirial's Wedding"? It's supposed to be a comedy with lots of laughs... it was one of the saddest movies I've ever seen and I ended up crying through half of it.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Telp, you mean Muriel's Wedding? That is a sad movie.

Porter, I was trying to decide whether to see Garden State or Napoleon Dynamite this weekend. Your recommendation, and curiosity to see what you were like in high school, are edging me toward the latter.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
yup.. thanks... Muriel
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Of course, celia's recommendation is edging me toward the former. Hm.

Of course, it's entirely possible that I'll spend the weekend roller blading or walking in the woods or something, and not make it to a movie at all.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
So we just saw this movie and i must agree...Holy Crap that movie is great.

but first i gotta build Lindsay a cake...

[ December 02, 2004, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
This movie made me laugh harder than...just about anything else I've seen. I thought it was absolutely brilliant, the performances were great. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It was very funny. I found it intelligent, as well, except for the fact that it seemed to be set in a weird mixture of the 80's and the 90's. [Grumble]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I loved that kind of timeless quality. The whole thing had a dreamlike quality, what with everybody's wildest dreams coming true after Pedro won and all, so I felt like the fluctuating sense of time period worked.
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
You guys don't know Preston Idaho that well do you? It really IS set in a weird mixture of the 80s and 90s. (no offense to any southern idahoans out there, but it's true!!) That's what's so hilarious about it! [Wink]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
I completely missed this while it was in the theaters. But we've got the trailer playing in the video store for it's video release later this month -- Wow! I really want to see it now!
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michaele8
Member # 6608

- posted      Profile for michaele8   Email michaele8         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure beats Ishtar and Alexander! [Big Grin]
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I want to avoid the cringe factor.
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to alert Napoleon Dynamite fans to this Onion article:

quote:
Entire Napoleon Dynamite Plot Pieced Together Through Friends' Quotes
AUSTIN, TX—Although he has never seen the 2004 indie hit Napoleon Dynamite, Michael Osman, 23, has cobbled together its entire plot via his friends' endless quoting of the film. "Well, Napoleon's brother said, 'Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day,' and then got a visit from his Internet girlfriend," Osman said. "Then Napoleon told his Uncle Rico that he could make 120 bucks 'in like five seconds,' and went to work on a chicken farm. Then Napoleon gave Trisha a drawing, said, 'It took me like three hours to finish the shading on your upper lip,' and asked her to the dance." Osman added that he has a pretty good idea what a liger looks like.

www.theonion.com
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
#2 worst movie ever finishing just behind the #1 worst movie ever Blair Witch. Real close though
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I just used a clip of the movie in a slide show I'll be presenting for a class honors banquet tonight. Slide that say's "Today we celebrate individuality", dance scene, then a slide that says "Being yourslf is Dynamite". I teach 8th grade and we've all been quoting it all year long. I expect it to be a huge hit. if you can't tell I loved the movie!!
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, you just convinced me that I ought to see Blair Witch.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
The guys I work with have audio bytes of that movie that they play randomly every once in awhile, while bored. So you can be walking through and suddenly hear "Do chickens have large talons?" or "Sweet", etc. etc.

I've never seen the movie. I've certainly HEARD enough of it.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Have fun. [Angst] yuck.....
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

If it's as yuck as Napoleon Dynamite, I'm in for a treat. [Smile]
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Blair witch was just a bunch of teenagers constantly swearing, getting lost, and being dumb. I watched like the first hour and a half, fell asleep and never bothered with the rest.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

That sounds a lot less interesting that the glowing endorsement that Jay gave it.

Jay, are you trying to trick me?

Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Jay, you just convinced me that I ought to see Blair Witch.

No, you really don't. Jay's right about something for once. [Wink]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Glowing? I said it was my #1 worst movie ever. I did laugh at the nostril flaring scene that was supposed to be so scary.
Napoleon Dynamite meets Blair Witch could be a sequel to take the all time worst spot of all time. It would have theaters filled with people falling asleep laughing at nonsense scenes with no plots.
Oh boy, I’ll start on the script right now. (sigh – long and extended just like Napoleon)

Jay
Member # 5786

Mike's 1K Landmark:

quote:

No, you really don't. Jay's right about something for once.
-------------------------------

Cool.
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, if you want I'll agree with you in my 2000th post too. Assuming you're still around in six years.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Man, I feel like a post-whore now.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.