FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Popcorn should be outlawed.

Author Topic: Popcorn should be outlawed.
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you heard me right. Popcorn should be outlawed. I haven't always felt this way. Popcorn used to be one of my favorite foods, but now I can't stand it. [Frown]

Why the change of heart? I got a job at a movie theater. We get all the popcorn we want for free. I've eaten so much of it that I can't stand it anymore.

I'm the one who usually gets stuck putting the popcorn machine together before we open and making the popcorn.

Anyone who questions my sincerity about despising popcorn should try making between 30 and 40 batches of it a week. [Angst] Then try having to clean out the stupid popcorn machine after the snack bar closes.

*longs for the days when popcorn was a delicious snack and not an instrument of torture* [Grumble]

edited for spelling

[ July 11, 2004, 04:44 AM: Message edited by: Derrell ]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, my brother workes at a theater too and no longer can stomach popcorn.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I only half like that stuff... It gets into my teeth and irratates me.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of theater? AMC? Marcus?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it true they reuse the old hot dogs from previous days?
Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
And are made from the salami that Michael Bay produces time after time?
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
What about pink popcorn?
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you still eat Corn Pops?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Primal Curve- The company is Century Theaters. I work at a drive in. Yes, they still have drive in movie theaters.

pH- Hot food that is not sold on the first day is put back in the freezer and then put out for sale the second day. If it's not sold thae second day, it's put in the waste bin and disposed of. Food is never more than 2 days old and every precaution is taken to ensure that the food is safe to eat.

Book- The hot dogs we use are Oscar Meyer all beef hot dogs.

Erik Slaine- Pink popcorn? I've never heard of such a thing. [Angst]

Annie- Yes, I can still eat Corn Pops. MMMMM. Corn Pops.

Hmm, maybe I should start a thread entitled ask the movie theater employee. People could ask questions they've always wanted to know the answers to. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe instead of outlawing pop corn, we should throw you in jail where you can never eat it again? That would solve the problem just as well. [Razz]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Is it true they reuse the old hot dogs from previous days?

We either ate them or threw them away at the end of the night.

<--worked at a theater. can't eat a lot of theater popcorn now.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I worked at a movie theater for years and I still love popcorn. The movie butter makes me sick, though. That stuff is disgusting. I never liked it to start with, but now just the smell makes me sick.

Oh, and we used to donate all the leftover popcorn and popcorn kernels to some guy who fed it to his cows. Or pigs. I forget which.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tullaan
Member # 5515

- posted      Profile for Tullaan   Email Tullaan         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate pop corn too. The smell of microwave popcorn is absolutly horrible. [Mad]

I hate it.

Carry on.

Tullaan

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Does no one eat real popcorn? From a popcorn popper?

That stuff is GOOD!

*goes off to pop popcorn*

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Movie theater popcorn is a distant second to my home-made kind. It's the seasonings that do it.

- garlic
- curry powder
- salt
- pepper
- grated Parmesan cheese

Best to use Orville Reddenbacher's loose kernels and pop it in a pan on the stove, using just barely enough vegetable oil.

Yummmmy

But movie theater popcorn is okay.

Microwave popcorn is an abomination and the inventor of it should be popped in a microwave until dead.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
whatever the seasoning... popcorn farts are a particularly noxious variety.

I think this is why the "dinner" in the "dinner and a movie" date precedes the "movie".

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Like I said, I used to love popcorn before I started having to make it every night at work. I think we do use Orville Reddenbacher popcorn, but we buy it in 35 pound bags and go through 2 or 3 bags of kernels a week. [Eek!] of course, it is summer and our popcorn consuption will decline when summer ends and school starts up again.
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
if popcorn's gonna be outlawed, Orville's corn's gotta be the first to go.

I had a traumatic incident as a young child meeting that crusty old kernel-hawker at a local grocery store.

*shudders*

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
It's okay, Derrell. I understand. My first job, when I was in high school, was working in the snack bar at a swap meet on Sundays (it was at the local drive-in). For about a year after I quit working there, I couldn't stand the smell of steamed hot dog buns.

Don't worry about it. After you haven't worked there for awhile, you'll probably get over it and regain your taste for popcorn.

By the by, I love movie theatre popcorn and have threatened at times to go by a theatre just to buy the popcorn, not to see a film. Which some people do. I know of one theatre where it isn't unknown for people to walk into the lobby, buy popcorn, and leave again. I've seen it happen, and when I asked they said they have several regulars who do that all the time.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I love movie theater popcorn and I love the butter they drench it with. What I am morally opposed to is paying $5 for a bucket of it, so I hardly ever buy it.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueJacsFan
Member # 6590

- posted      Profile for BlueJacsFan   Email BlueJacsFan         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to like it, until it started giving me heartburn. Now, I won't touch the stuff.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Hee hee I love popcorn. And the Orville Redenbachers Pourovers are suprisingly decent microwave popcorn.

However I've now started taking a Zantac simultaneously with the popcorn to avoid all heartburn symptoms. So I can have my popcorn and eat it too.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
*is munching microwave popcorn at her desk while reading this thread*

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so cheap, that I've never bought theater popcorn. Now I wonder what I've been missing...
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

There are three words in the English language that I absolutely despise and can't handle hearing.

This thread has used two of them.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

:intrigued:

Can you handle reading them, or is that bad too?

[ July 12, 2004, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to guess:

Hot
Buttery
Squick

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

My guess:
munch
fart
awhile

Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry Annie.

If you like, I'll never use the words "popcorn" or "pink" here any longer.

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I'm going to write them, which isn't as bad as hearing them. They're still evil though.

munch
yummy

and the third, which I hate for the same reasons as the second, is tummy.

Ack! Ewww! Bleck!

WasabiTurtle
Member # 6691

- posted      Profile for WasabiTurtle           Edit/Delete Post 
But there is something so...satisfying...about dumping liquid butter-flavored plastic over exploded pieces of grain.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Yippie! I got one of them!
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm allergic to popcorn (and corn in general). Smelling it is torture because it smells so yummy. I can eat a handfull and be ok, but any more than that and I'm taking a terrible terrible risk.

::sigh::

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, how do you feel about "nummy"? What about "chummy"? "Plummy"?

Clammy? Phlegmmy?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tullaan
Member # 5515

- posted      Profile for Tullaan   Email Tullaan         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to throw a wrench in the works!! [Wink]

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/03/02/popcorn.trial.ap/

Hope the link works.

Tullaan

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really like popcorn or icecream. The former because I'm always worried I'm going to break a tooth on an unpopped seed. The latter because the cold makes my tongue too numb to taste how it would taste if it weren't so cold. And also a really bizarre maternal pain-body transferance.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.