FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Thank you Army

Author Topic: Thank you Army
IceMinion
Member # 6693

- posted      Profile for IceMinion   Email IceMinion         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello from sunny Iraq, please disreguard the falling moarters, they usually dont hit you.

My buddy "Black Fox" suggested I post here. Lets see, where to start.

Ever considered joining the national guard? well i did, for about 5 seconds while i stared down at the beautiful rack of this really hot blonde recruiter, which as it seems was long enough to sign my name here, and there, and there.

It sounded good enough, they will pay for college...but what they didnt say is if you are never home you cant really go to college now can you?

OK, well im in, i passed the medical, and off to basic i go, Regular army basic. Fun

I learned an important lesson, the guard is not all fun and games, we only work 2 days a month, but we have the exact same standards to keep as the regular army, but we only got a weekend to do what normally gets done in a month! more fun.

Ok, got back, finished my senior year, and surprise, off to ait (advanced training) which turned out to be basic again, double fun.

alright, now thats done with i can finally have some time with my girlfrie..SURPRISE!! YOUR GOING TO IRAQ

better yet, it wasnt with my unit, it is this reject unit that needed fillers, i got volunteered

wonderful, they send me to train in northern wisconsin in the middle of winter for the desert, what a great idea.

well, 5 anthrax shots later plus everything else i got (must have been a total of 20 shots) and 3 months of arctic training, im off to iraq, when SURPRISE! a wresteler desides to show me whos boss and breaks my leg, wonderful

(my half-assed website should illustrate the tale http://home.comcast.net/~iceminion/)

Yeah, so i learn alot about how bad of an idea it is to break my leg, and aparently i was left unable to do my job, the military was going to kick me out, in fact i have all the paperwork that says im getting out when SURPRISE in 48 hours it all turns around and im on a plane to the desert.

And now im here for 12 months, everything sucks, im sure you have heard all the horror stories before and good news, i have an internet connection, so if you want to hear any wacky crap about the military im your number one source, and thank you for the sure-to-be warm welcome to follow

in conclusion, the army has cost me my freedom, happiness and my girlfriend (one in the same) if you know someone who is going to do something patriotic anytime soon, please ask them to reconsider.

peace out

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
First, thanks for being there. You may not be happy about it, but we do appreciate your being there.

Secondly, be careful.

Make that a Thirdly too.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
At least you have memories now. You've done more in one year than I've done my whole life. [Smile]

::lays around::

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack. Sounds like your recent experiences have left you pretty soured. My cousin is in Iraq right now as well. My own advice to you would be to consider important decisions for more than five seconds while making them...oh, and don't stare at anyone's chest while doing so as well. [Wink]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
So did you have the girlfriend before you were enchanted by the recruiter's rack?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the 'rack! Sounds like you'll do fine here!

And peace right back!

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
Iceminion is a great guy, though he has had his issues. So try to be nice to him, most of all he's just felt really alone and all lately. So just talk to him some, maybe he'll cheer up.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful, Ice. There are alot of great racks here at the 'rack. Don't get sidetracked.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IceMinion
Member # 6693

- posted      Profile for IceMinion   Email IceMinion         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to make sure everyone got the right impression, I needed something to post, and im not usually very talkative unless its a subject im passionate about, and it just so happens that im passionately upset with the way the army had dealt with me, but just to clarify, there are alot of great things in here that i didnt mention, it is great working konwing that we are actually making a difference. Hey, and i wont go through my life itching to find out what iraq is really like...if one would ever want to...
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Ice, my cousin just sent us all an e-mail making fun of himself. He said he remembered being a teenager and wearing something for a short time then throwing it in the dirty clothes. Now he's having to wear his stuff all day in the heat, hang it up to dry at night, then put it right back on the next day.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, sorry if I came off gruff IceMan. I thought my husband should re-enlist, but he didn't want to. So I'm kind of weird about it.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey, and i wont go through my life itching to find out what iraq is really like...if one would ever want to...
At least you have an optimistic outlook. [Big Grin] Welcome.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, IceMinion! Welcome to Hatrack! I'm an engineer and planning on coming over there to work, soon, on reconstruction projects, as soon as I can get through some stuff that's keeping me here. How is the weather? [Smile]

Seriously, I think the work that's going on in Iraq now matters more than anything else the whole world over, in terms of the longterm survivability of the human species. That's why I'm planning to get involved with it.

I'm really glad you are here. Hatrack needs your perspective on lots of issues which we really are ill-informed about. Nothing beats firsthand experience.

So, what is your job and what part of the country are you in?

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Christ
Member # 5714

- posted      Profile for Anti-Christ           Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck to you, Ice. I hope you find this a very welcoming place, even if you don't have much to say all the time. I mainly just post in the fluffthreads... or try to fluff out the more serious ones. Not everyone loves me, and I'm not the greatest guy in the world. My name is D and you're more than welcome to contact me at any time if you are feeling a need, I am generally on my computer, as most people here can attest to. Again, a world of luck to you in the desertlands.

D [Hat]

Posts: 125 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Ice [Wave]
Nice to meet you. Take care of yourself.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I heartily second what Dan said. Thank you, and stay safe. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack!

Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Ice, my name is really Rob, and I was one of the guys who helped make some of those shots for you, at USAMRIID. As bad as they are, not having them would be far worse....trust me.

Nice to meet you, sorta, and best of luck.

I hope everything works out well, just don't post anything that will get you in trouble. It sucks, as I know from personal experience...I alomost got court-marshalled for it at USAMRIID.

They monitor everything there....as i am sure you already know.

God Bless...and thank you.

Kwea (Rob)

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taberah
Member # 4014

- posted      Profile for Taberah           Edit/Delete Post 
Ice, what's your MOS? That can have a big impact on quality of life . . .
Posts: 224 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome! [Wave]
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
IceMinion...welcome to Hatrack, first of all.

Second of all, I respect the crap out of you for being over there, even if you aren't all that happy about being there right now.

Third of all, please understand that even though there are those of us over here who are not, oh, especially happy with your commander-in-chief right now, we do - I repeat, do - support you guys and girls who are over there.

And fourth of all, Keep Your Head Down. (This is the same thing I always tell my best friend's son, who is also over there right now.)

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! (((IceMinion))) Take care of yourself!
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.