FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I finally did it ... or Embarrassing your children

Author Topic: I finally did it ... or Embarrassing your children
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
The other day I was driving into town with my daughters (ages 10 and 8). The song "Smokin in the Boys Room" was played on the radio. I started singing along (with gusto). Even though I don't condone smoking, the song took me back to high school days.

I glanced over at Amanda, my then-10-year-old. She had a funny look on her face - she was embarrassed. We weren't even in town yet, there was nobody driving near us, so nobody outside the car could see or hear me. I finally embarrassed her ... I told her it was payback for all the times she embarrassed me. [Evil Laugh]

Oh, I'm going to have fun with her during her teen years. [Evil]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Yes, my kids (18,16,14) emphatically prohibit me from singing in the car when they are along. Even though I'm not a bad singer -- they are just embarrased -- I get pretty "energetic" during some songs.... [Big Grin]

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
And parents wonder why their teens hate them [Wink]
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I sing in the car. I make up lyrics when I can't remember them. I sing loud, and I dance in my seat enough to make the car bounce.

And I ain't stopping when I have kids. [Big Grin]

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
you and me both.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother used to sing along to show tunes while she droped me off at school, now I have my own car, And I get to embarrass my younger sister by singing alone with my Def Lepard. [Evil Laugh]

*Starts to hum* *Starts to attempt to dance* *Sings* Pour some sugar on me*

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the windshield provides good reflection of the sound, so you can hear you're own voice pretty clearly.

My son just sticks his fingers in his ears. [Dont Know]

Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
Unlike many parents, my father doesn't have any illusions about his voice, thusly he doesn't sing. ^_^
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Every Sunday morning, my dad would wake up before the rest of the family and sing while fixing pancakes, eggs, bacon, and orange juice for breakfast. He'd sing the first lines to lots of old songs, but only the first lines.

"Strangers in the night, exchanging glances, first love at first sight, what were the chances...<pause>

Strangers in the Night, exchanging glances..."

"Turn out the lights, the party's over.."

(This one required our participation)
"Every day I face. the barren waste. without the taste. of water.
Coooool, cleeeeear, water. "
Kids (in high, squeaky voices): "Water!"

[ July 13, 2004, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

water! water! (echo)

oh kat -- that brings back memories...

Sons of the Pioneers -- gotta love 'em.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
"Ol' Dan and I, our throats were dry
With Souls that cry
for Water

Cool, clear Water

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*squeaky voice* Water!

Darn conditioning.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember being a teenager...

My dad did stuff like that all the time...
[Wall Bash]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Ack! Please don't sing the Cracker Barrel music! It's bad enough that I have to listen to it all night.

He's a devil not a man....

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Christ
Member # 5714

- posted      Profile for Anti-Christ           Edit/Delete Post 
You still are a teenager, son. [Wink] (nick)

And mabus, next time we're on teamspeak, i suggest you sing some "devil went down to georgia". i know you know it, man...

[ July 13, 2004, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Anti-Christ ]

Posts: 125 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I embarass the kiddos yet. However, the dog is a different story. He cringes when I try to play "Wheels on the Bus" with him. He thinks it's a "baby" song.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You still are a teenager, son.
Oooo, for three more months until I'm 20. [Razz]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

*shakes fist at Space Opera*

Now I have THAT stuck in my head!

"the wheels on the bus go round and round.."

FG

BlueJacsFan
Member # 6590

- posted      Profile for BlueJacsFan   Email BlueJacsFan         Edit/Delete Post 
Katharina:
quote:
Every Sunday morning, my dad would wake up before the rest of the family and sing while fixing pancakes, eggs, bacon, and orange juice for breakfast. He'd sing the first lines to lots of old songs, but only the first lines.
With my dad, it was, "Rise and shine and give God the glory, glory....." in order to get us out of bed.

I still hate that song. [Mad]

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
*sings*

the doggies on the bus go bark, bark, bark...

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
"Rise and shine and give God the glory, glory....." in order to get us out of bed.
Oh jeez. Is this a good place to mention that that was how I got my little brothers out of bed in the morning?

In my defense, before I started MAKING SURE they were awake, they'd roll over and claim I never came.

Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandmother used to wake us grandkids up when we came to visit by singing "Beulah Land". That id not embarrass us. Getting out of the car at the drive-up window DID. [Big Grin]

*misses Granny* [Frown]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueJacsFan
Member # 6590

- posted      Profile for BlueJacsFan   Email BlueJacsFan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In my defense, before I started MAKING SURE they were awake, they'd roll over and claim I never came.
I couldn't help but groan when he did that, so he knew I was awake. Of course, he wouldn't stop until we were physically out of bed. I got up as quickly as possible to make him quit singing.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

I can no longer hold Robert's hand in public. *sigh*
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Sasha doesn't know very much English, but he loves to sing Russian songs.

To get back at him I started singing American kids songs.

The only one that I knew was, "Little Bunny Fu Fu."

Sunday we put him down for his nap. My wife and I must stay in bed with him until he falls asleep. (yea, poppa nap time is a good thing). however, convincing him to sleep is difficult. I was trying to get him to sleep by ordering him to stay in bed and be quiet in my best bass father voice.

Then he started singing "Lit bun foo foo."

Do you know how hard it is to maintain that deep bass fatherly mad voice when you are trying not to laugh?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I love reading your father stories. [Smile] [Smile]
Olivetta
Member # 6456

When Robert was 3, he announced to his preschool class that, "My mommy has a wienie."

Now, I think it was because he'd walked in just as I was getting out of the shower, and he was shocked that I DIDN'T have one. He was merely assuring himself and everyone else that his mother was not deformed. [Eek!]

So, as revenge, I plan to bring out a 10x13 picture of him in a bumble-bee costume (at age 6 mos) at his 16th birthday party. [Evil]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother sang, and danced (with high kicks) at a mother-daughter tea when I was in high school. In front of pretty much my whole high school.

It made the yearbook.

I still (fifteen years later) hear about it every once in a while.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

My mother once sang a Shawnee wedding song to my VBS class.

She also did some amusing sketch comedy for most of our birthday parties, and was the only mother that my circle of friends would ask to go places with us. She had to really work hard to let me have my own place in the world, because she was just naturally so beautiful and fun. People just wanted to be near her.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend, Carissa, and I keep close tabs on the goofy things my son does and imitate them sometimes to stay in good form. We talk excitedly about his first date and the first girlfriend, and plan how we will embarrass him. We dance something that looks like the fandango while saying "I'm a spider!" We say "I love you" and pretend to be flatulent. I can't wait!

-----

My uncle embarrassed us with his singing, but only because he made up all the words. He once performed "Leaving on a Jet Train" in a bar and got through the entire song without noticing his mistake.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.