FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wedding Nuances (Judaica question too)

Author Topic: Wedding Nuances (Judaica question too)
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
So, I'm getting married. We are close to deciding between two places for the ceremony, one which will provide a fair amount of equipment, and that doesn't.

Guess which one we prefer? [Smile]

We are trying to price out various equipment for the ceremony, so we can see if we can still choose the place we like, or if it will get cost prohibitive. The two current questions are:

Audio Equipment: We are having an outdoor wedding, weather permitting) and therefore need a mike, and a speaker or two. Does anyone have recommendations? More speakers? More mikes (We were told more than one stand mike may be a bad idea due to feedback)? Anyone have ideas where to rent and how much such equipment would cost?

Chuppahs: Has anyone had experience with huppahs with a stand, as opposed to poles. We don't want to have to enlist people to hold the poles if we can help it, so are looking into free-standing options. Warnings? Cost? Successes?

Thanks everyone for giving this engaged couple a little less stress.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, let me say congratulations on the engagement. If you said it before, I missed it.

That said, I have no good advice. I just sat back and let someone else do my wedding. Short of walking up the aisle in the dress I made, I had no involvement.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Bok! I'll be building our chuppah soon.... I figure I'll just pick up some lumber at Home Depot and make a simple structure. All it has to do, really, is hold up the tallit..... nothing fancy. [Smile]

We're having 100 people at our (also hopefully) outdoor wedding, and I don't think we'll be getting mikes and speakers. Couldn't get power up to the ceremony location, and I figure everyone but Mark and I will be able to project out to the crowd. And everyone will know what Mark and I will be saying. [Smile] Also, I'll make a program so no one gets lost....

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Yeah, we'll probably need a portable power source. We've heard some stories about not hearing vows, and experienced it at a cousin's outdoor wedding last year. We couldn't have been more than 30 feet from them, and we didn't hear a word.

-Bok

EDIT: I should add that it's an interfaith wedding (I'm of Christian tradition, my fiancee is Jewish), so my half of the family will be confused through some parts (we're going to try and have a blended wedding ceremony).

[ July 17, 2004, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
Once agai, congrats, Bok...and Mrs. Bok... [Big Grin]

I would just like to add that you can rent a portable generator at home hepot, or at taylor rental, but make sure whoever is doing sound knows it...they can give you a better idea on what they need for a power source.

Is the reception going to be outdoors too? Because if it is at the same location the DJ might be able to do the sound as well....a wireless mike can be a really good solution for there types of events. My best friend was a very good wedding DJ for years, and he arranged sound for a number of outdoor venues.

He used 2 speakers, unless the reception was at the same venue...then he used 4, because the music needed to be louder.

Good Luck!

Kwea

Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

The reception will be indoors. We don't want to tempt the weather any more than we have to. [Smile]

We were figuring wireless mike + stand, so we didn't have to keep passing the mike to each person.

Does anyone know how much extra a DJ would charge to basically just set up the outdoor speakers mike?

-Bok

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
1st: Congrats.

2nd: Call and ask for a quote - I would imagine most wedding DJs are happy to give you a price list over the phone.

3rd: Chuppa?

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Mazeltov!

I've been to two weddings with a standing chuppah in the last year, but I didn't think to ask what the best way to do that is. I haven't yet been married, so I can't help you that way either, sorry!! But all the best. [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
In Providence, a PA system was about $60 to rent. I don't know the quality of it because I never saw it. We recently purchased our own PA system for the Circus School/Lub-dub. It was roughly $400, and is quite good at projecting music 50 feet at least. It's a portable system, so it's only about 20 pounds or so. They have a thirty-day return policy where we got ours (Guitar Center), which means you could try it out at the spot to make sure it works properly for your setting.

Don't have a good solution for portable power, though you could check out the Home Depot solution.

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Sun, who would you go to to rent that sort of equipment? Musician stores? rent-a-centers?

-Bok

Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know where this one was, I can probably get you that information tomorrow.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually attended a blended wedding a few years back. I think the chuppah was freestanding.

I wouldn't recommend an outdoor wedding. It rained on my sister's, and made it a really unpleasant experience for my dad.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Rained on my outdoor wedding too.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave] Yeah! Congratulations!
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
In case it helps.. the PA was going to be rented from Rick's Music World, Seekonk and Swansea.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't those portable generators extremely loud? How would it help to have microphone plugged into a generator if the generator is so loud?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.