FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Universe names

Author Topic: Universe names
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
What are the names of some "universes"?

Here's what I'm able to come up with:

Middle Earth
Enderverse
Buffyverse
Rand Land
Star Trek
Star Wars
Babylon 5 (not an appropriate name for this universe, but people seem to call it this)
Known Space
Foundation
Earthsea
Riverworld

Also, are there names for the universes of:
Alvin Maker
Song of Ice and Fire
Asimov's Robot stories

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Two more:
Marvel
DC

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azile
Member # 2312

- posted      Profile for Azile   Email Azile         Edit/Delete Post 
Xanth.
Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Potterverse
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Technically, Marvel and DC are both multiverses. Which I really hate.

There's Brooks's lands: Landover and the Shanara world (The Four Lands)

There's Donaldson's (The Land)

The Dune Universe

DragonLance

Dark-Tower-Verse

And of course, the best of all, the Sluggyverse.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Anne McCaffrey's Ship books, her Talent series, and the Pern series all seem to occur within the same universe. (Not sure about Crystal Singer and its sequels, or the PTB books.)

What universe would that be? The McCaffreyverse?

Similarly, Madeline l'Engle makes it clear that several of her series occupy the same universe. Let's call that one the Manywatersverse.

There's Diane Duane's Young Wizards multiverse. The DDYWM? [Wink]

Oh, and if we are to be accurate, Star Trek is composed of multiple universes -- at least, if we include books and 35 years' worth of fanfic.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Almost forgot! Octavia Butler's Xenogenesis universe (Xenoverse?).
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
they are all a part of Zelazny's Amberverse [Smile]
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azile
Member # 2312

Oh, yeah: Oz.
Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
From D&D:
Forgotton Realms
Greyhawk

Does anyone ever refer to the Doroverse? Several books were written in it...

There's Heinlein's Future History.

I dunno. this is kinda wide open. Any story is it's own universe... Is there a Minimum Story Required to be concidered a 'verse? If it's a TV show do their have to be spin offs?

Pix
No Power in the 'Verse can stop me.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
Discworld.
Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials multiverse.
The Old Kingdom/Ancelstierre.
Mordant/Cadwal/Alend.

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
Flatland!

[ July 21, 2004, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: Suneun ]

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a Manhunter universe.
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
What's a multiverse?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meruhesae
Member # 6698

- posted      Profile for Meruhesae   Email Meruhesae         Edit/Delete Post 
A universe that has a multitude of universes in it. For instance in Star Trek, we have the Original Series-Voyager universe, what I kindly call the Enterprise universe (though Enterprise barely counts as Star Trek, imo), the book universe, and the fan fiction universe. All those make up the Star Trek Mulitiverse.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
So how are His Dark Materials and the Young Wizard's series multiverses?

And wouldn't Oz be a multiverse, since there are the books written by Baum, and then the really bad ones written by profiteers?

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
the fan fiction universe
"The"? It's been a while, but I think I could manage to name at least 6.

And that's just by one author . . . [Wink]

Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. porteiro head:

you mention middle earth. The correct name for that particualr universe would be Ea

[ July 22, 2004, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: Little_Doctor ]

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Why would you call Star Trek a multiverse? The different series are all supposed to be in the same universe.
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
The Uncharted Territories
Slider-verses
Time-space fluctuated Universes

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meruhesae
Member # 6698

- posted      Profile for Meruhesae   Email Meruhesae         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"The"? It's been a while, but I think I could manage to name at least 6.

Whoops- I guess fanfiction is its own multiverse [Wink] . And Mr. Portero Head, you bring up a good point- all of the shows do take place in the same universe, but the books don't. For instance Diane Duane has written an awsome Romulan series in which the Romulans are entirely different from how they evolved in the Original Series and in the Next Generation.

And Blacwolve:
Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials can be called a multiverse because the series spans multiple universes.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azile
Member # 2312

Wonderland
Neverland
Neverwhere
Metaverse (Snow Crash)

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
There is Cordwainer Smith's Instrumentality of Mankind, and H. Beam Piper's Terro-Human Future History, and Ursula K. Leguin's Ekumen universe. Not sure if that last one has an actual name or not...
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard people call the Robert Jordan Universe

"Randland" [Smile]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's MY universe....Teleportiverse. *shrug*
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes.... Arda within Ea = Middle-Earth.

And the Manhunter universe? This sounds like my kinda place! [Wink]

Can we expand this to video games? The Homeworld universe of Hiigara and the Tiidan.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Snicker.

Are you looking for games and works of fiction that have spawned nicknames for the universe or mythology because no formal name has been attached?

The Wheel of Time series takes place on a large continent that has never been named, so it s affectionately referred to as "Rand Land."

A "multiverse" is applied to several different works that take place within the same fictional setting. Characters from two different series have the potential to interact, sharing the same space/time but never do.

If Jordan ever started a new series based on the same mythology but with entirely different characters, it would then be termed a "multiverse".

As to the "Fire and Ice" series, I have no idea - I enjoy the books, but I haven't joined a forum devoted to them.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep that Wheel of Crap out of here!

Arrrggg! By book 10 it takes them 5 chapters just to get out of bed!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Actually, I meant Earth 1, Earth 2, Earth A, etc. (to use DC Comics as an example). Multiple sets of characters in the same world doesn't make it a multiverse; multiple versions of the same character would.

On the Marvel side, there's now two Spider-Man and two X-Men continuities (not even counting multiple timelines).

I don't even think multiple planes of existence qualifies it as a multiverse, unless the planes are alternate versions of each other.

Oh, and we forgot Narnia.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Huh. I've never read any Trek books.

I have however, read most of A Dark Distorted Mirror, an alternate fan-fic universe for Babylon 5.

It was pretty fun. It starts from the idea that the Minbari didn't surrender at the battle of the line, but takes place during the same time period as the series.

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
There are no less than 3 of my own--Ravenlands.

There is Everquestria
There is Loathing

There is "That wierd Universe that Micheal Jackson lives in."

Malkovichnia (Being John Malkovich)

and finaly

there is the weird and under explored universe, where Pirates Rule and Trolls drool--

I am refering to the Hatrack Universe.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
The Vorkosiverse!

Pouenelle created a Future History. Poul Anderson did too. I'm not sure what to call them, though - Motieverse? Polesotechnia?

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
The Homestarverse? (Homestar Runnerverse?)

What about Strongbadia...does that count?

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
For instance Diane Duane has written an awesome Romulan series in which the Romulans are entirely different from how they evolved in the Original Series and in the Next Generation.
Yay! Another Diane Duane fan! [Big Grin]
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Narnia?

I guess it would be the Lewis multi-verse , as it's not just Narnia, but the other worlds (as in The Magician's Nephew ) and our universe as well.

Hmm, I just noticed Dagonee had it there already. *Hmmph*.

Some of the Sheri S Tepper books are all set in the same universe. Tepperverse?

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
muppet-verse. come on, muppet treasure island?
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

oh and GeorgeW-verse
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
The Twelve Colonies Universe
Wrinkle in Time Universe (not sure if that had a specific name)
Heaven, Hell, and Chaos

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I don't think Narnia's a multi-verse, either. There are different worlds, each with their own time flow, but they can be thought of as different places, not alternate versions of the same place.

Dagonee

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.