FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Story/Non-story?

Author Topic: Story/Non-story?
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040722/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_prisoner_abuse_6

Newly released info about the prison abuse.

they have found 94 identifiable cases. Not good. The article points out that this is much higher than any previous estimate.

But the article, if you read the whole thing, also points out that they released the totaly number of prisoners held over that time frame-- 50,000.

94 abuses is a bad thing... hell even one is.

But less than 1 in 500 hardly seems "systematic", a word which is alleged often in "news" and opinion both.

thoughts, anyone?

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, 1 in 500 could be systemic, especially if the 50,000 number includes people picked up, brought in, and released the same day.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kazwailah
Member # 6711

- posted      Profile for kazwailah   Email kazwailah         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have enough info to say wether or not it was "systematic" or not. However the word has nothing to do with numbers and everything to do with wether it was done methodically and deliberately, which may or may not have been the case.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
well... not to say that the government isn't capable of frightful incompetence, but if your system is 0.2% "successful", it leaves a little to be desired.

Had thought about the "catch and release" angle myself...

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
94 cases sure as heck isn't "a few individuals." These are also just identifiable cases so far. I await further verified results.
Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.