FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is John kerry going to die? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is John kerry going to die?
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
No seriously my mom says she thinks he's going to croak, that he has the look of a one foot in the graver and so she's gonna vote for him so John Edwards will be president. [Smile] [Dont Know]
I'm kind of having a tough time deciding who to vote for so maybe this will tip the balance [Dont Know]

[ July 29, 2004, 03:26 AM: Message edited by: suntranafs ]

Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha! You're so clever, Suntranafs! Gosh, what will that sparkling wit of yours do next? Who knows! Ha ha!

Ha ha!

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
dunno,

good question.

cheney heart-blarsts, george ensures no more jennas by repeatedly racking himself, kerry mistakes his "special sauce" for a disenfranchized 58th variety, or Edwards rethinks his choice of a distrophied arse of a wife but gains the benefit of a SAG backing?

tough questions.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh off Lalo, I know I sound stupid. [Wink] I mean he might die right? it's been done.
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm no doctor, but I'm pretty sure we're all going to die.

And if you'd watched John Kerry playing ice hockey a few months back, you'd have seen that he seems to be in perfect health. I don't think he's dying any more quickly than any other man his age.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
And if you're not going to even try and intelligently state a position, the least you could do is try and make it funny.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

Oh dang, Oh well.... I mean you're all liars, you'll see! *heads for hemlock farm*
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

Happy trails. The flat, dark green leaves are particularly tasty.
fallow
Member # 6268

It's hard to make killing other folks humorous, regardless of "the sauce".
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

"And if you're not going to even try and intelligently state a position, the least you could do is try and make it funny"

WHOA! Down Boy! If I'd wanted to do either one I would have. I was asking a question, brought on by the fact that I mostly tend consider my mother not expressly clinically insane, if pretty severely intuitive. And if I may say so you will feel pretty stupid if he does get elected and die in office.
As for my position, chump, I'm still trying to figure that out.

fallow
Member # 6268

kerry's gonna win, strange as that may seem. Kennedy-runt-faced boy, he might be, but he is... better than... well...

the guy who put us here.

*shrugs*

fallow

suntranafs
Member # 3318

Well if he's definitely going to win, I guess i don't need to vote for him, and I can go with a safer bet, but the fact is that a war time United States President has never lost, so might be a tougher call than just who's got the better campaign.
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, sometimes even a (physically) healthy person can give an hour-long inaugural in the rain, catch pneumonia, and die.

But I think Kerry's smarter than that. Plus he has the benefit of better doctors than Tippecanoe.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

Sun,

Is that true? A war-mongerer has never lost the election?

fallow

suntranafs
Member # 3318

Maybe the stress of presidential office will do him in.
suntranafs
Member # 3318

War-mongerer? interesting implication there. But Yeah to my knoledge it sure is.
not during the war at least

[ July 29, 2004, 04:38 AM: Message edited by: suntranafs ]

Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

quote:
And if I may say so you will feel pretty stupid if he does get elected and die in office.

What, because someone's "intuitive" mom predicted it? Not likely. [Smile]

quote:
As for my position, chump, I'm still trying to figure that out.
Yes, well. I'm rubber, and you're glue. Everything you say bounces off of me and sticks to you.

If nothing else, I have to say that you give this forum a very chatroom-esque feel, and that brings back fond memories of my own high school blowhard phase. [Big Grin]

fallow
Member # 6268

how can a man desert his duty and win a war? (histrionics and current behavior?) not that a republican has anything at stake other than preserving the fancy of the elitist brotherhood he serves.

fallow

Mabus
Member # 6320

Fallow, I try to make allowances for your peculiar posting style, but if you think I serve any elitist brotherhood--think again.

Look at it this way--the Republicans at least theoretically will allow a person to get rich, even if in practice wealth tends to get confined to those who are already rich. The Democrats want to take all our money so that everyone is poor, then dole it back to us in the form of social programs controlled by the government--which, in turn, must be controlled by Democrats.

Neither is really what I want, but the Republicans are closer.

[ July 29, 2004, 04:50 AM: Message edited by: Mabus ]

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

fricasee,

how come such a late-coming commentator? lover of debate, yet euknuckledhead?

say it or spray it, but don't spay it.

fallow

suntranafs
Member # 3318

No mean old frisco, not because my mother predicted it, though I could do that via hemlock, but you'd look feel the fool nonetheless, women's intuition is not neccessarily to sneeze at

"If nothing else, I have to say that you give this forum a very chatroom-esque feel, and that brings back fond memories of my own high school blowhard phase"

Why thank you, I was just thinking that myself. [Big Grin] I do pretty well at that don't I. not quite Spam but close, very close.

[ July 29, 2004, 05:13 AM: Message edited by: suntranafs ]

fallow
Member # 6268

mabus,

we all serve something. doltish, coltish, cynical, sinister, or whathaveyou.

fallow

suntranafs
Member # 3318

"Look at it this way--the Republicans at least theoretically will allow a person to get rich, even if in practice wealth tends to get confined to those who are already rich. The Democrats want to take all our money so that everyone is poor, then dole it back to us in the form of social programs controlled by the government--which, in turn, must be controlled by Democrats."

Well see I've got this new operating revoloutionary theory that maybe they're not all bad, and so maybe I don't have to vote independent or green or what have you or not at all this time.

Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

quote:
No mean old frisco, because my mother predicted it, though I could do that via hemlock, but you'd look feel the fool nonetheless, women's intuition is not neccessarily to sneeze at
I have no idea what this means, but I assume it has something to do with your mother's allergies. If it's Benadryl she needs to stop these crazy visions, I have an extra bottle she's welcome to.
Mabus
Member # 6320

No, Sun, they're not all bad. I was speaking in generalities. There are plenty of individual Republicans who want everyone to have their own, personal, private store of wealth, and plenty of individual Democrats who want to be sure everyone is well-taken-care-of, nothing more. But as groups, and wielding the power of the state to make things go their way, the ideals tend to get twisted into something less noble.
fallow
Member # 6268

Mabus,

Given that breakdown, where do you stand (if you don't mind my asking)?

fallow

suntranafs
Member # 3318

"I have no idea what this means, but I assume it has something to do with your mother's allergies. If it's Benadryl she needs to stop these crazy visions, I have an extra bottle she's welcome to."

ROFLOLOLOL
You have no idea what it means because I totally flubbed it up, go back and read the edited version

suntranafs
Member # 3318

Oh and Frisco I'm going to tell her you said that and she'll probably behead you personally, free of charge
Mabus
Member # 6320

Fallow, I'd like to be able to take care of myself rather than have someone take care of me--caretakers have this dangerous tendency to get unreliable when there's trouble--and so I theoretically stand with the Republicans. I do recognize that there are some people who can't take care of themselves, and they should be provided for, but the state shouldn't infantilize everyone else to do it.

And I also recognize that the Republican position is all-too-easily twisted, so I reserve the right to support other candidates when I think they'll do a better job.

ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Democrats want to take all our money so that everyone is poor, then dole it back to us in the form of social programs controlled by the government--which, in turn, must be controlled by Democrats.
Let me get this straight--you believe that the Democrats are actually Communists? How odd.
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

That would be a very extreme interpretation of what I said, but in a manner of speaking, I suppose you could look at it that way. Democrats want high taxes and big social programs to transfer wealth to the poor. Most of them mean no harm by it--they're just looking to make the poor better off and don't expect to harm the rich much. But in order to do this, they have to put that tax money in the hands of the government, and the government is just people--no more (or less) trustworthy than anyone else. Money is power, and we know what people in power typically do with power--they try to accumulate more.

Remember, I'm not accusing Democrats alone, or any individual Democrat. The moneyed classes that enjoy Republican policies the most are no bettter than the government bureaucrats about taking more money and power for themselves. But at least the Republicans say the money you earn is yours--not the government's.

That's why I said in another thread that, if I thought it were possible, I'd favor heavy estate taxes. Money transferred from generation to generation isn't earned, and therefore isn't (necessarily) deserved. But it's also unfortunately easy to protect.

ae
Member # 3291

quote:
That would be a very extreme interpretation of what I said
Really? You did say that the Democrats want to take and then redistribute all of everyone's money, right? Or did I hallucinate that?
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

ae, read speeches by Democrats. Read the party platform. The constant emphasis is on social welfare projects and higher taxes to support them. What else can you call it?

It's well-meaning, for the most part, but it's real. It's the natural consequence of individual greed. It's just expressed in a different way from the Republican version.

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
*sniff*

Yup, the smell of flaming troll.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

Sorry, Trevor....I'm not trying to incite an argument. Fallow asked me what my position was. Each successive post has asked me to clarify.

Truthfully, the results look more and more extreme in my own mind, which could be a sign that I'm on the wrong track, or it could just be a sign that as I clarify I'm accidentally magnifying the extremes.

All I'm saying is that people seek power, those who have more of it can more easily gain still more, and Democrats and Republicans (or more accurately their party machinery and the more corrupt individuals) have their own distinctive methods of gaining it. I'm not even saying one is (much) better than the other.

It's certainly no more trollish than the way some of the more liberal people here consistently accuse Republicans (only) of corruption. At least I'm being evenhanded.

Addit: it has suddenly occurred to me that it might be ae you're accusing of trolling. [Embarrassed]

[ July 29, 2004, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: Mabus ]

ae
Member # 3291

Please, show me where a Democrat proposes a 100% tax rate with redistribution by the state.
Mabus
Member # 6320

I have never said anything about a 100% tax rate, ae, and you can see that quite easily. There may be some extremists or very corrupt individuals among the Democrats who might propose it, but they can doubtless see that an action like that would be transparent.
ae
Member # 3291

quote:
Democrats want to take all our money so that everyone is poor, then dole it back to us. . . .

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Transparent, meaning that it's what all Democrats REALLY want, but don't have the guts to say?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I wondered, for those of you who said in This Thead that you didn't like "southern" accents -- what did you think of John Edwards speech last night?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
*blinks*

If democrats are all really communists, are republicans all really anarchists?

[ July 29, 2004, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Jaiden ]

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

Ack! You're right, ae--but as I said, I was explaining the basic concept behind the parties, exaggerating for emphasis. If you'll look carefully, I said something equally uncomplimentary about Republicans (they also want to take all our money, but for a few private individuals instead of government bureaucrats). Neither is literally true of either group as a whole; I was describing general tendencies. Consider it a slip of the fingers, or of the mind. If it was offensive, I apologize.

Tom, by "transparent" I meant that if the worst imaginable extremists actually did what they wanted openly, it would be obvious that they were corrupt. It could be that no one is actually so extreme (though I doubt it). I'm describing why I find the root principles of neither major party entirely trustworthy. Fortunately, individuals fail to live up to them entirely.

Addit: I notice so far, only Jaiden has said a word about my characterization of Republicans, and I'm not sure he was responding to me. Is it because you think all Republicans really live up to the "everything for me" principle I abstracted?

[ July 29, 2004, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Mabus ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the logical extension of the Ayn Randian principles that you've ascribed to some members of the Republican Party really DO amount to "everything for me" -- or, rather, "I get as much as I can for myself, and expect other people to do the same for themselves." Is this NOT what you're saying?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Mab - I was accusing sun of trolling. [Big Grin]

I think you and ae are the first to turn this into a legitimate discussion.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

Tom, I am indeed saying that. About principles , not a whole class of people. I'm saying that about Democrats and their principles, too; they're just getting there by a different means. And I'm saying that at least the Republican means has some relevance to my goals and principles, one of which is to earn enough money to be able to take care of myself instead of being taken care of by the government.

My problem with ae's characterization is that he seems to think I'm implying that all Democrats are secretly plotting to bring about a Communist revolution. With possible rare exceptions, I don't think that's true at all. As you put it, the problem is the "logical extension of their principles". And, of course, he applies this characterization only to what I say about one party.

Oh, and thanks, Trevor. [Evil]

[ July 29, 2004, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Mabus ]

ae
Member # 3291

quote:
Ack! You're right, ae--but as I said, I was explaining the basic concept behind the parties, exaggerating for emphasis. If you'll look carefully, I said something equally uncomplimentary about Republicans (they also want to take all our money, but for a few private individuals instead of government bureaucrats).
Since I'm not a Democrat or for that matter an American, it doesn't really make much of a difference to me. It just seems to me that you're oversimplifying things terribly—and, more to the point, inaccurately.

quote:
by "transparent" I meant that if the worst imaginable extremists actually did what they wanted openly, it would be obvious that they were corrupt.
Actually it would be obvious that they were Communists.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
No.

</Clyde Bruckman>

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
But everybody dies, as Clyde Bruckman would know. Not too many American Presidents have dies in office, but some have.

Seems sort of gauche to hope for someone to die, though.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Not everyone. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
That's where we'll just have to differ on opinion, I guess. Have never actually run across a human who'd been around more than 115 years, but I'm told the upper limit is in the 120s.

I hope you're not suggesting that Kerry is a god, 'cause I think that would be sorta gauche, too. [Big Grin] [Wink]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.