FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Rescued by a child

Author Topic: Rescued by a child
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
You see...last friday, exactly one week ago, I had a very, very fightening experience (gun, two punches...most of you may remember). For the last 7 days I've been...how can I say...detached from my work. It seemed as if I lost my drive to go there and teach. I didn't spend the amount of time I used to preparing my classes...I taught mechanically all the week...just like a machine. I felt as a recorder, who just spat the subject over and over again. I was even feeling sad that I had to enter the "favela" (slum) to teach. I was thinking about giving up. Why not? My other teaching job pays well enough...why do I have to face this, this...squalor, poverty, this smell, this utter, utter misery every day? Why? I spent the whole week feeling I was dying bit by bit by bit everyday I went to work.

I must confess that I read and wrote to Hatrack much more than usual these few days because I needed some escape to this sad reality. I was...I still am very torn apart.

Today, just an hour and a half ago, I took the bus to come home. It was another very bad teaching day. I had my MP3 player and was just sitting there, eyes closed, listening to some music, when someone touched my arm.
There was a child. He had 10, 11 years at most. Ragged and dirty clothes...very poor kid. He had a paper in his hand, and he asked me to read it. It was an address, and he wanted to know if he took the right bus. It was.
We talked for about 20 minutes (then I had to go). He didn't know how to read, and never went to school. His name was Francisco. I gave him some money and a bag of cookies. I also gave him the relief association address, so he could go there and receive proper clothing. I also told him that I'd teach him how to read.

Now I can't stop wishing that monday comes soon, so I can teach him. If he comes...when he comes. I wish very, very strongly that he comes. I'm not very religious, but I thought: "God, take him there by monday...you know the kid needs it".

Well...I guess that's it. And sorry for implying that Hatrack was kind of a escape route for me this week.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, sometimes we all need an escape.

I hope Francisco comes to school on Monday. You're doing such an amazing thing in these favelas, Eduardo. Sounds cliché, but, well, [The Wave]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't tell you how glad I am that you arethere for those kids, Eduardo. I went to Brazil once, and came within a hair's breadth of staying. So many poor, homeless children. [Frown] But I was too young, and the group I went with wouldn't leave me, and then, life took over and I didn't go back, which is probably just as well, as I think I would have not been a very good Bride of Christ.

In any case, Eduardo, I join you in the hope that Francisco comes to class on Monday.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe, Christ was also a child.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
A bad paraphrase, but here goes . . .

As you do to the least of these, so do you also do to me.

Bless you, for the good work you are doing.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Eduardo, you are still my hero. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

The world isn't so bad afterall. [Smile]

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
That's wonderful, Eduardo -- that a child helped you re-capture your faith and belief in what you do (your calling). Even if he doesn't show up Monday, all those other kids need you for the same reason....

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quick update.
Francisco didn't came today.

Oh, well...silly hope, I guess.

[Frown]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for reminding me that my life is really pretty good [Smile] Sorry he didn't make it.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captainmoriar
Member # 6416

- posted      Profile for captainmoriar   Email captainmoriar         Edit/Delete Post 
There is always tomorrow, and the next bus ride. Hopefully he finds the path to your door. It sounds like yours would be a great place to stop by. Keep up the great work!
Posts: 21 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.