FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 2004 Homeschooling Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 2004 Homeschooling Thread
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs. M, I know that you've seen many homeschooling failures and I can understand that you would view it with skepticism.

But let's face it, plenty of public and private school students finish school with large gaps in their education and skills, with poor or no social skills, etc.

Regarding gifted programs, what is a person to do if they don't exist? WHen we left the MAdison (WI) public school system, there was no TAG (talented and gifted) program to speak of. There isn't one in our current school district-- they simply don't have the money to provide one.

I've been homeschooling for 6 years now, and it's working well for my kids. In our local homeschool groups, there've been a few people who've "given up" and sent their kids back to school, and those kids are doing well. A lot of families homeschool until high school, and their kids have had no problems integrating into the schools. There have ben plenty of kids who have gone on to have successful college careers, jobs, etc.

On your comments about the commitment involved on the part of parents-- yes, it does require commitment, but it is no where near as difficult and involved as you make it sound. I always tell people who ask that homeschooling can be as easy or as complicated as you care to make it. I say this because I just hate to have anyone who is considering homeschooling to see your post and think , oh I can't do that.

ctm

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
AJ, I think our experiences match up. The schools themselves are excellent schools with lots of funding and programs. It's the kids I had problems with.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
ahh, ok that makes sense PSI and I can see what you mean.
AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Few people are cut out to be excellent teachers. It takes training, dedication, and a gift for teaching.

I think success of homeschooling depends on how well the parent is trained, how dedicated he or she is, and how much teaching is a part or that person's parenting style.

I would not hesitate to homeschool my child, and am going to watch her very carefully this first year of fulltime public school. There are no gifted programs at her level, unfortunately.

Mrs. M. has probably seen all sorts of issues because most homeschooling parents lack the training they need to be effective. They don't know what their children need to be successful in education or they might not be familiar enough with child psychology to know how best to teach the kids. And they don't see any need to get the training, or lack the time and money to get it. It makes me shudder to think of most parents homeschooling their children.

However, when the parents are like Belle, I don't worry. Belle is intelligent, she knows her limits, she knows her kids, and she'll do what it takes to find out how to best teach her children. She will also network. She will examine her own efforts. So I have no fear for her kids.

Me, I want to start a Hatrack school and teach all our brilliant little ones... [Smile]

When, oh when, will OUR Hatrack become a reality?

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard of this wildlife preserve... [Wink]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/08/04/home.schooling.ap/index.html
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"At some point, children are going to have to interact with the rest of the world," he said. "If they haven't had the opportunity to build their emotional muscles so they have that capacity to interact, how effective are they going to be outside their cloistered environment?"

The use of the word cloister makes me mad. As if homeschooled kids never get out and interact at all.

But I totally agree with the growth factor - in my "circle" of friends about half homeschool, and it's certainly not looked down upon here. Of course, we're deep in the Bible belt.

Jenny, thank you for your kind words. I do know my limitations and know that I can't provide the best environment and teaching for my kids, because of my personality type. An ADD teacher? Those poor things will never know what to do! There are some terrible things going on in some public schools, but some very wonderful opportunities there and some gifted teachers that can really enhance your child's learning. I don't feel guilty for not homeschooling, and I support it in principle, just don't think it's right for our family. What I want to do this year with the twins is about the extent of what I think I can handle!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually got into a disagreement with a friend about homeschooling last night. She homeschools, and is absolutely great at it. But she said that every year they get a call from the public school system wanting her curriculum for the year, and this ticks her off. I asked her if anyone checks up on homeschoolers, and she said no, which surprised me, and also said that no one had the right to. I disagreed with this, because I think there is unfortunately always going to be parents who need checked up on so that their kids actually get an education. What do you guys think?

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I am arguing about this RIGHT NOW in Arizona. I am so mad that they want to get involoved in the education of my children that I could just spit. What makes them think they know my kids better than me? What if my kid is a whiz at reading but terrible at math, so that we have to do remedial math for years? What do they care? In public school they'd just get passed with their lack of skills so that one day someone realizes they can't divide and they're in eleventh grade. I don't see that the state can possibly have a single clue about what my child needs other than love, food and shelter and that's all they should care about.

*calms down a bit*

Part of the reason I want to homeschool is to get out from under the thumb of the government as far as education goes. I really think that they are only trying to assert themselves where they don't belong. Sorry if that upsets someone, I'm not trying to be offensive, I'm just very worked up about this.

[ August 05, 2004, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not arguing about how good/bad homeschooling is, or that parents know their children better than the govt. I'm just asking why some parents don't want safeguards in place for the people who don't homeschool the way they should. (i.e. not having any sort of curriculum, etc.)

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Few people are cut out to be excellent teachers.
It's true. I had maybe 3 good teachers during all my public school time. The vast majority were mediocre, and I certainly had more bad teachers than good ones.

At least they were good, mediocre, and bad for me.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

My personal opinion, despite what Mrs. M attests to, is that most mothers don't homeschool if they aren't interested in spending time with their child. Why would a parent keep kids with her all day, every day, if she doesn't want to be teaching them? I can think of things that would be really fun that I could do during that time, but I choose not to.

My problem is more with the fact that I don't think the government needs anymore power in that area. I can see that they made it a law that kids have to go to school. In my opinion, I'm following that law and my kids are in school. As the parent, I should be able to choose the method of learning.

I liken this to my view on homosexuality. Yes, there's a small chance that some kids will get warped under the educational thumb of their mom or dad, but it's slight. Should we then keep a close watch on gay men because there's a chance ONE of them might sodomize a child? Do we put cameras in their houses?

This is the deal. A parent can turn in curriculum all day long and still teach their kids what they want to. Then what? Do they have to be tested every year? Taught in a monitored learning environment? The main reason to homeschool is to set up the learning environment that YOU approve of, not the state. It's the whole point. Again, they are just trying to assert themselves where they have no right.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I want to add that in Arizona, the problem is even worse. They are trying to make laws that allow the state to TEST my children every year to make sure that they measure up to the state's idea of where they should be. I find that ABSOLUTELY ridiculous. Why homeschool if I'm going to be controlled by the curriculum of public school? I am very against the idea of the government getting involved in my child's education.
Space Opera
Member # 6504

[Dont Know] I honestly don't know. I'm not sure how to frame my questions about homeschooling in a way that doesn't cause defensiveness. I can certainly understand the defensiveness, because I'm sure that parents who homeschool often get a lot of crap from people. Maybe I should stop asking questions! My question last night to my friend ended up with one of her friends telling me that I was grossly misinformed about everything and then she brought up an example of how CPS had failed a child in a public school. (Huh?) It just makes me want to shout, "I'm not attacking!! I'm just trying to learn something!!"

space opera

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Space opera, Go ahead and ask. If there is any place that's safe it is Hatrack. As long as they are legit questions I don't think anyone will be offended. The thing is people are coming from oppising preconceptions. And there are die hards on both sides.

I am the first to admit homeschooling isn't perfect, but to say that it is awful and destroys children is just a little to far the other direction for my taste (and not even Mrs M went that far in her first statement.) Especially because that is a value judgement that includes the loaded idea that I, having been homeschooled until college, am therefore a worthless member of society. Make sense?

AJ

[ August 05, 2004, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

No. You're welcome to ask questions however you want. I'm not trying to scare you off, and I'm not annoyed at you in the least. I'm frustrated at Arizona right now and it's coming out in the thread. I'm very sorry.

I guess my major fear is that the curriculum or tests, etc, will include things that I don't agree with and I am not willing to take that chance. What if they decide that evolution is part of the required course, you see? They made them teach it in public schools and that's part of what I'm trying to get away from. It's flawed science at best, and yet they continue to teach it in public schools because it's a "fundament of science and education". I don't want them to be able to make me teach my kids those things at home.

edit: Um, that no was a little too exuberant and appeared to be directed at Banna's post. Heh heh.

[ August 05, 2004, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

PSI, regarding the standardized tests. If they were down in that one area but up to standard in every other area I don't think you would have anything to worry about. (There are only so many questions that one can ask a small child about evolution, and most of the time they don't, they are more worried about the water cycle) At most, though it would vary with grade level they could legitimately put maybe 2 questions on a test about evolution and/or dinosaurs without neglecting far more critical aspects of science education.

AJ

Space Opera
Member # 6504

Makes perfect sense. [Smile] I guess my main question was - what's wrong with a little check now and then just to catch those parents who aren't giving their kids an education? My friend said that when the public school system calls they would know if a parent wasn't doing anything because the parent's answer would be something like, "Um, curriculum? Well..." and then something could be done. So in a roundabout way she did agree that sometimes small checks are needed, but when I proposed this it just made her angrier.

I think homeschooling vs. public schooling is a decision that is private. I see absolutely nothing wrong with either one. I have just been surprised that people get so upset about it. I have met plenty of people since we've moved who homeschool and think I'm terrible for not doing so. I totally understand that homeschoolers don't want the government looking over their shoulders every single second, but why are they (at least the ones I know IRL) so dead set against very basic, very general checks that in liklihood could actually benefit some children?

space opera

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Well, first of all I plan on homeschooling my kids throughout school unless they demonstrate the need to be in public school, so evolution would probably come up.

CT, I personally really have no problem with my kids learning about evolution as a flawed opinion of science that we have since pretty much decided isn't true. But why? I maintain that it's more about the idea that the government wants anything to do with what my kids learn.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

cont.

Still, I ask, why do they care? Are there any serious, far-reaching studies that show that homeschoolers tend to be significantly lacking in important areas? I highly doubt it! If there were serious problems from homeschoolers I might understand this, but there aren't. Why would they try to exercise control over an "institution" that is largely successful?

Let me put it another way. I think we ought to check the children of gay parents every year, to make sure they are being raised well. You never know what those gay people are teaching their kids! Or the white people in Georgia! They might be teaching their kids to hate black people.

See why I'm so upset? Why do this to homeschoolers and no one else?

Space Opera
Member # 6504

I think CT is doing a good job asking questions that I'm interested in. And PSI, I know that you aren't annoyed with me but rather someone else attempting to take control of your children's education.

space opera

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
PSI --- move to Kansas!

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

CT, I'm not sure I can sufficiently answer that question without sleeping on it, but I'll try. [Smile]

The only reason I can see to say that a child MUST be taught to read is because it would help them get along better in society. But the same could be said about not being racist. Yet do we test children to see how they feel about different races?

I guess that I have to be perfectly honest...I see no minimum. I do not believe that anyone has the right to control how I raise my child, or anyone else.

It is very painful for me to say that because I'm fully aware of all the doors that would open up. But I hold to it. If the government decides that my kids need to be able to read to function in society, what else would they decide that my kid needs to know?

Despite how it sounds, I do not think of the government as some machine that's out to get me. I realize that it's fallible with fallible people in it. But I believe that America is a free place where all different people can raise their children despite their beliefs, and that goes for white people, black people, Muslims, lawyers, doctors, and morons. (Morons, not Mormons. Mormons are welcome too. [Big Grin] )

But I ask. How many kids are coming out of the homeschooling system unable to read at all?

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Okay, CT, about the maximum. But what happens if the government decides that I must teach my kid something that I find loathsome? Let's say I was against all birth control but I was told to teach my children all about birth control, how to use it, when to use it, etc? (I'm not against all BC by the way.) Am I supposedly to drill this concept into their heads and then end it with, "This is an evil thing by the way, but the government is making me teach it to you?" How much do you think that's going to matter?
Space Opera
Member # 6504

PSI, I do appreciate that you are putting so much thought into your answers - I always like to learn. Just so I am certain that I'm understanding your perspective correctly, is it the "teaching" versus "exposure" to things you think are bad that upsets you?

space opera

dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But what happens if the government decides that I must teach my kid something that I find loathsome? Let's say I was against all birth control but I was told to teach my children all about birth control, how to use it, when to use it, etc?
I think that's the exact problem I have with homeschooling. It promotes educational segregation more than a public school ever could. We try to construct a foundation for all children in the US (though I admit, we're having trouble reaching that goal), which is open to everyone to see and criticize. Why is education mandatory to a certain age in the US? Because it's a vital part of our society, and rightly so. It's not just to annoy children until the age of 14 or 15, it's so that they can gain a common set of skills and knowledge.

You insist that you can teach your child whatever you want and omit whatever you want without government regulation. I think it's narrow-minded and a true loss for that child and society.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had a (Gifted) Public School educatio, in the course of which I have met many home-schoolers.

Many of them turn out to be of above-average intelligence and knowledge...in math and science. The problems I have seen with home-schooled kids:

1) Naivety. They are generally gullible, and unable to see scams or other cons, often repeatedly. Some may find this endearing, but it can truly be damaging.

2) Under-exposure. They know their parents' viewpoints, and since those are the only ones they know, they assume them to be axiomatic fact. Many do not keep up with the news or discuss the news as one would among peers in a public school.

3) Reasoning abilities. Yes, they are typically intelligent, in knowledge. The ones I know, though, have trouble predicting. For instance, predicting the outcomes of a lab or extended mathematical problem. This prediction ability is needed so you can look at an answer and know whether or not you screwed up badly somewhere.

Also, a place where this stands out to no measurable degree is in predicting human behavior. They simply cannot do it; they lack the experience with a variety of human behavior and responses.

Yes, home-schooling has its advantages when it comes to test-taking and attainment of knowledge. But it is severely deficient in areas I would consider much more important.

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I would think underexposure would be the biggest fear. You have a lot of different teachers between ages 5 and 18, each with their views and styles. Not to mention the views of your classmates. You have a much smaller selection of parents and peers in a homeschooling circle.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Yes. I should try to make this clear. It is not specifically the fact that my kids would be hearing things that I don't agree with. My major problem is that the government would have any control at all. The most tangible example of that is that I can imagine that it's possible that I be required to train my children in an area I don't agree with.

Exposure is one thing, but it seems possible to grind something into your kid's head to the point that they believe it, without even trying. Look at all the girls that think they have to look like the models on TV, and no one even directly SAYS that they have to. That doesn't mean I won't let them watch TV, it just means that I'm not going to teach them about models, and then give them an exam featuring every commercial for a beauty product.

I think there's a difference between saying "This is what Greeks once believed" and saying "Zeus is god". I realize that. But I do believe it's possible that things won't be so easy to distiguish.

But in general, my major annoyance is less about the actual curriculum as it as about the control issue. I don't feel like there's any REASON for the government to get involved.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

quote:
I have trouble getting my own head around being comfortable with children not being ensured for learning how to read, or not being protected by child labor laws, or not being protected by required intervention for suspected abuse, or many of the other devices the government has in place.
There is a vast difference between monitoring possibly abused children and monitoring for whether or not children can read, namely that abuse is illegal, while not reading is not.
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
PSI, the State of Arizona cannot require you to have your children tested. I am frankly shocked that they are trying to do so. I suggest that you direct them to the Arizona Revised Statues Annotated, Title 15, Chapter 7, Article 3 (15-745):

quote:
A. Nothing in this article shall be construed to require the testing of children who are instructed in a home school program while they are receiving home school instruction.
Your children are legislatively exempted from taking any essential skills and standardized non-referenced achievement tests, which includes the AIMS and ASAT.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

quote:
You insist that you can teach your child whatever you want and omit whatever you want without government regulation. I think it's narrow-minded and a true loss for that child and society.
While I find it dangerously narrow-minded that there is a standard that you want to set for everyone in America, and have everyone learn exactly the same things. Where's the diversity? How can different ideas come out of a society when everyone is trained the same way?

(They are trying to amend that, Mrs. M, if I'm not mistaken. It's been put on hold for a short time but was a serious debate not too long ago.)

[ August 05, 2004, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Part of the reason why this is such a hot button topic, is because many homeschoolers have gotten dragged in front of Childrens Services and some threatend with removal of their children for truancy, even when they have been abiding by the local homeschooling ordinaces, simply because the children are seen outside at odd times of the day when children "should" be in school.

There are some horrible people that use "homeschooling" to legitimize abuse. Unfortunately once a DCFS person has seen one of these they have a pre-concieved idea about how everyone else in that group behaves. In any group it seems the negative stereotypes are the ones that surface first no matter how strong the positive sterotypes are.

For an illustration: Jews-greedy powermongers, Mormons-polygamists; Southerners-illiterate; Homeschoolers-child abusers.

All of the above are equally fallacious stereotypes, but we all have gut reactions to each of those stereotype that are hard to get past.

AJ

HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But what happens if the government decides that I must teach my kid something that I find loathsome?
What if you find the idea of genetics loathsome? Or Microbiology loathsome? Your distaste for a subject does not change its veracity.

In my many debates on evolution, I have found the major problem not to be actual arguments against evolution, but rather misconceptions and myths about evolution that children have been taught by their parents and clergy.

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

I need to go as well, since dishes are covering my entire counter. I hope this discussion continues!

space opera

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

In the end, I really just don't see that there are sufficient grounds to check the progress of a homeschooled child. Before they start making laws regarding that, I think that a LOT of study is needed to determine if there actually any problems at all, relative to other methods that parents use to train or teach their children.

AJ: Homeschoolers=child-abusers? I've never heard that. [Frown]

[ August 05, 2004, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

A personal anecdote:

One of the skills I had to learn in college and still struggle with, was that of listening to multiple people at the same time. Not so much in classroom or group meeting situations with more serious undertones, but with a bunch of people piling into the same dorm room and chattering all at once.

But, I can't prove, that this was due to homeschooling. Some people have equally difficult times processing having been to school their entire life. I am, as a result, very good at running meetings here at work, making sure everyone has their say and understands everyone else, because I show them how hard I'm trying to understand them and how much I want to understand them.

AJ

dabbler
Member # 6443

PSI, I doubt you truly believe that every adult from public school has come out standardized to a cookie-cutter version of anyone else who has come out of public school. I agree with CT that this specifically means minimums, with icing for everyone who is willing.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

AJ: I think that it's obvious that people will come out of homeschooling with different strengths and weaknesses than those in public school. Environment changes things, and I don't think that's necessarily bad.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

PSI do you belong or have you heard of the Homeschool Legal Defense Association? Basically if you look at their legal briefs that is exactly what most of the things are claming. You can put an intermedieate step in there but many don't.

Homeschooling --}truancy --} child abuse

AJ

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

quote:
I think that's the exact problem I have with homeschooling. It promotes educational segregation more than a public school ever could. We try to construct a foundation for all children in the US (though I admit, we're having trouble reaching that goal), which is open to everyone to see and criticize. Why is education mandatory to a certain age in the US? Because it's a vital part of our society, and rightly so. It's not just to annoy children until the age of 14 or 15, it's so that they can gain a common set of skills and knowledge.

quote:
PSI, I doubt you truly believe that every adult from public school has come out standardized to a cookie-cutter version of anyone else who has come out of public school. I agree with CT that this specifically means minimums, with icing for everyone who is willing.
Okay, Sun. But from your posts I got the idea that your minimum would be a very large set of requirements, much larger than the basic reading, etc, that CT mentioned.

So what would your minimum be, since I feel like the diversity that we get from people being raised in all different learning environments is good for society, not bad?

And I should also point out that there is a difference between saying that kids should have the OPTION of learning whatever they want to know, as opposed to the responsibility. I'm not saying that exposure to different sources is inherently bad for kids, far from it.

AJ: No, I hadn't heard of it.

[ August 05, 2004, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

No Suneun I'm sure she doesn't, however the fact is many homeschooled children are radically unique in their life experiences, both good and bad. I know I am, and my closest RL friends know I am, but it isn't worth going around explaining most of the time exactly what I was doing at the age of eight or 10, cause it doesn't matter that much unless you are going to marry me or something.

AJ

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Still, PSI, until it's repealed, they shouldn't be attempting to force testing on you.

quote:
My personal opinion, despite what Mrs. M attests to, is that most mothers don't homeschool if they aren't interested in spending time with their child.
Actually, my point was that it can be difficult for many homeschooling parents to spend almost all of their time with their children and a lot of them don't realize that when they start. One of the biggest complaints that I got from my homeschooling moms was that they had barely any time for themselves. This didn't make me think any less of them as parents or as homeschoolers.

I feel like there is a perception that I don't like homeschoolers or that I didn't like the ones that I worked with. This upsets me because it could not be farther from the truth. No one worked harder or advocated more for those children than I did. I changed curricula so that every child could have one that best fit his needs. I accommodated every request from parents, even when they were contrary to my own personal beliefs. For example, I designed 2 biology curricula, one including evolution and one excluding it (which is in accordance with the educational laws of most states, btw). I actually allowed a child to be exempted from reading The Crucible because his parents didn't want him exposed to witchcraft (even though there is no witchcraft - they were faking). I juggled the books and found money for extra classes for children who needed them. During one of my business trips to Aliquippa, PA (the most depressing place in the world), I drove up a mountain in my tiny rental car to fix a 7th grader's computer so that he wouldn't miss any classes. I worked and advocated for those kids to the point where I completely neglected my family and my health, so I'm sure that everyone can understand why disturbs me to be seen as an enemy of homeschoolers. [/rant]

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

No, I didn't think you felt that way at all, Mrs. M. As far as testing goes, I wasn't clear, I'm sorry. They are not trying to force testing on me. I'm fighting the fact that they are trying to amend that in the first place. Sorry. [Embarrassed]

I honestly don't understand the "time for themselves" part. I mean, compared to a child in public school, maybe. But I don't know a mom out there that homeschools her child for more than two hours, each child. It isn't necessary, because in that time a child can absorb far more than they can in 8 hours at school. Then the kids have homework time but the mom shouldn't be directly involved with that.

The child has MORE time to explore, have fun, and follow his own personal objects of enjoyment than the public schooled child. It would have been so nice to be outside on those warm spring days after having my lessons than inside, doing busy work because the teacher has to spend so much time going from child to child while you wait to be checked on.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Mrs. M I know you were doing the best by those children you could. There were clearly problems with the homeschooling process that the parents were having, which is why they turned to your company for support.

Hey, at least those parents were admitting there were problems and asking for help. There are some that don't and deny there are problems. But there are also many of homeschooling parents that don't get themselves in the hot water the parents you were describing got themselves into either.

The underlying educational philosophy, of homeschooling that is still there even though it it has been clouded with overtones of fundamental Christianity of various species, is best described in a book called Summerhill by Alexander S. Neil.

I really wish we could have everyone in this discussion read this book, because while there still might be fundamental disagreements it would create a more uniform basis upon which to discuss the philosophy of education.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Also, a child removed from public school, will be far, far more demanding on a parent's time than a child that has always been homeschooled. It is because it is a different pace of life. One is generally far more structured and the other while structured has a lot more flexibility involved.

The transition period, can be difficult. It will be the most difficult for a child who was removed because the parental judgement was that they needed to improve their academics and/or behavior, while the child was perfectly happy staying in school. This is where the most conflict arises. The clashes between parent and child on a variety of issues are epic, and it takes a parent with vast amounts of patience to cope. My mother (who ran several independent study programs herself) would warn these parents about the "detox" effect that would happen. I honestly don't know the sucess percentages but I'd guess it was 50-50.

A child who is discontent in school to begin with and wants to leave is much more likely to thrive in an environment where they can explore and learn on their own, and much less likely to tax parental resources to the utmost.

AJ

dabbler
Member # 6443

IANAT (I am not a teacher), so lets see what I can come up with.

Banna: Lets say, since we probably agree, that the majority of homeschool kids get a sufficient and good education. But standards aren't there because everyone isn't meeting it, or because everyone is meeting it. Minimums are there to catch the 10% or 15% of kids who aren't getting taught certain things.

1) Geography: US and World
2) History: US and World, with Cultural History, History of Religions, and Political History.
3) Math: Through Algebra I, lets say.
4) Foreign Language: intermediate level in one language other than english
5) Sciences: Basic Physics, Chemistry, Biology. Lets leave Evolution out of this discussion for now.
6) Language Skills, English: Basic grammar, reading comprehension, vocabulary.

----
The only one that seems slightly optional is Foreign Language. It's not as necessary, but I'd put it in as a minimum if I could choose.
To get at the nitty gritty of what some parents won't teach their children, we'd have to outline each one fairly extensively. And as much fun as it would be to design a curriculum for a kid from K-12th, I'm not going to do so here.

If a minimum makes it so a kid who wasn't going to learn chemistry ends up learning basic chemistry, I see that as a good thing.

I want to get back to school being mandatory. What is the purpose of mandatory school attendance (public/private/home)? Again, I think it's to gain a minimum of skills and knowledge to work within the society we have created.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Suneun, this cracks me up, because I doubt most graduating seniors from high school could meet your minimums. And I could probably dig up test results to prove it.

AJ

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Probably, Sun, and I don't have any problems with the curriculum you listed. I think everyone needs to know all that stuff, and would encourage people to teach it. But, like my opinions on religion, I'm extremely hesitant to make a LAW about it. I'm not going to make it so that gay people have to report somewhere about everything they're doing with their children, and I'm not going to do that about homeschoolers either.

BTW, I keep using homosexuals as an example because everyone knows my opinion on homosexualtiy and I want to make it clear that my thoughts about government intervention don't change just because I agree or disagree with a practice.

edited: for general stupidity

Oh, and about mandatory school: I very, very slightly disagree with the institution of mandatory school, but I don't worry about it because homeschooling is there, and was set-up specifically for that reason. Meaning that parents who don't want to have their children's learning decided by some other person have another option. If they ever made homeschooling as structured as public school, I'd be against mandatory school.

I KNOW that it can be mistreated, but I'm more worried about losing basic freedoms to the government.

It's possible that I might agree to a type of minimum requirement for homeschoolers, but I would have to thoroughly understand it, and there would have to be strict limitations put on the people doing the checking and on the tests themselves.

[ August 05, 2004, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

dabbler
Member # 6443

okay so lets go back to Why is School Mandatory to a certain age in the US?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.