FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pigskin Pick'em (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Pigskin Pick'em
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I officially SUCK at this. So far I've got 3 right and 8 wrong. Doing the picking in the middle of the night in the middle of insomniac delirium is not reccomended.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
7-4 here. Plus the Redskins and UVa won this weekend.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
8-3... 10-4 if the 4:15 games go the way they are!
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
WEll...

I'm 8-3 as of right now...

Gotta love those Partiots.. [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, something's screwed -- I can't get into our Pigskin Picks web site today -- it doesn't recognize me like it did last week, and doesn't think I'm a member of any league when I log in...

Farmgirl

edit: nevermind, I got in. I was using my Yahoo ID/password instead of my Pigskin one. Although it let me IN under my Yahoo setting - that is weird -- it recognized me as a user.

[ September 13, 2004, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
8-7 right now. Darn Bills losing on the last play of the game. Darn Chargers for not sucking enough.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Who are you on the scoreboard, Tick? I don't see your name...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

The Civic Minded 5 (at Tick cartoon reference). [Smile]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

adam, I wrote this up for sakeriver, but it seems appropriate here:

quote:
It was like a scene from a sitcom. Went to my father-in-law's company picnic. Normally a bore for me, as he mostly works with young punks and bikers (apparently HVAC work attracts them, who knew?), but there is a guy who brings his TV and a power inverter so we can watch the game. That's the Bills game, for those of you scoring at home. He even learned a lesson from the year before and brought a seperate battery for it. It's a close, hard-fought defensive battle. The Bills are stopped at the goal line and settle for a field goal, now up 10 to 6. The Jags get the ball with a few minutes left, and move it down the field. After a long pass down to the 19, people gather around the TV. Leftwich, who had struggled mightily for most of the game, looked cool for 7 seconds left. He drops back, heaves the ball into the back of the end zone...

*poof*

The TV goes OFF. It's a mad scramble. The dude immediately dives into the back of his truck, trying to switch from the spare to the main vehicle battery. The TV randomly switches on and off, so we see split second scenes, prompting things like 'is he signalling touchdown?' 'who's celebrating?' and so on. Finally we get the radio going, and then the TV, as the replay booth takes a look at the play. The touchdown stands, and the Bills lose.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, I don't feel so bad that I'm doing so badly this week, considering I'm tied with punwit..

[Big Grin]
FG

Kwea
Member # 2199

Very bad call..... [Big Grin]

Jeni and I have the same pick for the Monday night game, so she beat us all.

All because of that call...

I picked the Giants because my brother-in-law is a huge fan....and when I told him I took them he turned to me with a horrified look on his face and said "Why?!?!"

I told him it was alll HIS fault..

[Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Correction.... there is one of us who also is now only one point behind Jeni AND picked Green Bay to lose today AND did it all without even picking the first game (which I predicted correctly in my other pick set, I might add.)

So, Jeni's going down! [Razz]

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

[Laugh] ha ha -- I just realized that in my office pool here at work, I picked Carolina to win, and in my Hatrack picks, I picked Green Bay to win.

Either way, I win!

FG

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Green Bay won!! [Laugh] Xaposert

FG

[ September 14, 2004, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Hey punwit! What does Jeni win for killing us on round 1? I suggest a Snickers bar.....

FG

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Middle of the road, that's me.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

You may have won the battle.... but the WAR is mine! Muahahahaha
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
That's right, who guessed the score of Monday night's game exactly? Me. Woo!

Too bad I still suck at this. Well, no, I really don't. But it could have been better! And it will be... watch out Jeni. [Wink]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Sorry, X, I can't hear you...you must be too far behind me...

[Evil]

Xaposert
Member # 1612

By too far I assume you mean by the one point I gave you for free, by not picking the first game. [Wink]
Kwea
Member # 2199

you mean the one point you weren't bright enough to know you would need just to tie?

[Evil] Yeah, that one.... [Taunt]

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
So my strategy of picking the team that had the most previous wins didn't work. [Grumble]
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeni wins a head start on the rest of us in the race to the finish.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

No, Kwea, that one point that you guys will need to even have a chance in the end... [Razz]
Kwea
Member # 2199

I'm sorry, what was that again?

I still can't hear you...

[Taunt]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Hey Carrie, were you actually AT the debacle of a Green Bay game?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Is there a way to see the overall score totals from week 1 and 2?

Or is each week a separate contest?

Dagonee

Xaposert
Member # 1612

It only totals when all the games are over for the week, I think.

And Kwea... last week's handicap wasn't big enough, so this week I've not even picked at all. It just assigned me all the visiting teams instead... Yet I'm still ahead of you and Jeni! [Wink]

[ September 19, 2004, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I just like to play around with my prey a bit before moving in for the final kill. [Wink]
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Well Tres....all that means is that ramdom is better than usual for you....

[Big Grin]

Kwea

Kwea
Member # 2199

Dag is doing much better than us all this week, I think.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

As best I can remember, I've caught Jeni, Kwea, and Tres. I don't know if the people beating me this week were ahead of me or not.

Dagonee

Kwea
Member # 2199

we missed at least 7...and were only 2 or 3 ahewad...just saying you are golden this week.

damn Giants are killing me, one way or another....

Kwea

Kwea
Member # 2199

Tres....you luck bastage.....you are the only person near me (or ahead of me) who has MN picked....

So if they win, you tie me....completely by accident...

Damn philosophy majors...

Kwea

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Whoo hoo! The Tick and I go neck-and-neck in round 2...

FG

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Overall, 1 person has 19 and several (including me) have 18. It's going to be close after this week.

Dagonee

BannaOj
Member # 3206

at least I didn't do as dismally as last week. *grumble* can't believe the bears beat the packers!

AJ

TheTick
Member # 2883

MUCH better. [Big Grin]
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I fortunately was not at that awful game, though my parents were. I've not talked to them since, but I can only assume they were suitably trashed - the people they were bringing are the out-all-day-drinking types.

Here's hoping the Eagles win tonight...

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yeah, Tick, I would be one ahead of you if I had been paying attention and picked New England instead of Arizona -- that was really stupid. I start out by picking all HOME teams, then go back and evaluate whether there is a good reason to change some of those (which I did a couple, but I must of missed that New England one -- everyone knows there was no way Arizona was going to win that matchup.)

Farmgirl

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

[Party] [The Wave]

(we should have played for money) [Big Grin]

This is beginning to be fun! (I didn't do as well on my group at work.....)

FG

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I still can't figure out how to view season-to-date overall point totals. I can see mine (19) but can't get a comprehensive list.

Dagonee

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

To see the whole group for current week, you click on "Jatraqueros" Then to see the whole season overall, you click on "Scoresheet" (from the Jatraqueros page).

Farmgirl

Kwea
Member # 2199

Well Tres...I suck this week.

And I'm STILL beating you by 2 points... [Big Grin]

Really, this is going to be a close race, I think, for all of us.

We are all pretty clumped up, and most of us are above the average winnig percect..

Kwea

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

For me, it is just luck, really. I haven't watched a single NFL game yet this year! (And I LIKE football -- I simply haven't had time to sit down and watch).

That and listening to all the guys I work with sit around and talk about all the games and the teams -- that is about all I have to go on.

Farmgirl

Kwea
Member # 2199

Wow..Washington and Denver really screwed the pooch for most of us, huh?

If you click on Scoresheet up top, it shows everyones picks by the week, and shows all the games....

Kwea

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Which one of you is "UW The Bombs"??

FG

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Ah, thanks. Looks like it's pretty tight, with 5 at 19, 1 at 20, 1 at 18.

Dagonee

Xaposert
Member # 1612

Hmmm.... apparently not picking at all is a bad strategy.

I think that's enough of a lead. This week I'm gonna pick them all - prepare to be defeated! After all, it's Redskins vs. Cowboys week. [Big Grin]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

And I have to go with my Cowboys out of sheer loyalty, rather than logic...

FG

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.