FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Jebus?

Author Topic: Jebus?
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Mobes?
Albah?
Budbha?

[Dont Know]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Jebus was the name of Jerusalem before the Israelites took it over. It was the home of the Jebusites.

Look it up. [Roll Eyes]

EDIT: Here. I looked it up for you.

quote:
4 David and all the Israelites marched to Jerusalem (that is, Jebus). The Jebusites who lived there 5 said to David, "You will not get in here." Nevertheless, David captured the fortress of Zion, the City of David.

-- 1 Chronicles 11:4-5

[ August 10, 2004, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: digging_holes ]

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually digging_holes, I believe he was referring to the Simpsons, where Homer makes a plea to Jebus (Jesus), or maybe our own Jebus. But I'm fairly certain that the net popularity of Jebus is based on that misspoken plea from the Simpsons rather than pre-Israelite Jerusalem. But hey, what do I know, I didn't even know the Jerusalem thing.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

Seriously? I thought it was just meant as a mispelling of Jesus created by Homer Simpson.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Jebus was first coined by Homer. Simpson, that is. "SAVE ME, JEBUS"...

[ August 10, 2004, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: foundling ]

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

Right...I also heard a rumor that in one printing of the Bible (don't know which) Jesus was mispelled as Jebus in one passage.
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
That was one of the stupidest episodes ever.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
How "Yivoos" becomes "Jebus" escapes me . . . but then, so do most of the translations of Hebrew names to English. [Dont Know]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That was one of the stupidest episodes ever
You're dead to me.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
riv,

I reckon Yivoos just weren't silly enough. Maybe simple embellishment is the answer?

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd blame it on King James if I were you rivka.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Likely so. But I still have never understood the how/why of it. With sounds that have no English equivalent (a chet, for example), I understand choosing the closest analog. But why do all the vavs become "b"s instead of "v"s? And the soft vowels become hard ones?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

- posted      Profile for SoberTillNoon   Email SoberTillNoon         Edit/Delete Post 
Because the english language is stupid? I mean, we can translate things however we want when it is taken from a language with out a similar chatacter set. However, us stupid english still make it hard on ourselves. Take Tsunami or Qatar, both could be spelled phonetically, yet no.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How "Yivoos" becomes "Jebus" escapes me . . .
Erm... don't you mean Yeshua?
Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

No, I was referring back to the verses from Chronicles I that holes cited above. The name of the city is Yivoos, or Jebus.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Take Tsunami or Qatar, both could be spelled phonetically, yet no."

Think about Welsh and Chinese, too. *shudder*

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
or French names?! sacre bleu!!!

fallow

PS. Can I get a tissue?

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Take Tsunami or Qatar, both could be spelled phonetically, yet no.
I don't get it. Tsunami IS spelled phonetically. We just choose not to pronounce the t in tsu.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
What escapes me is how we have an entire thread devoted to this topic...

But also how Yivoos became Jebus, that too! [Razz]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

But when was I ever alive to you, Ralphie? Never!
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Elmo knows where you live!
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But when was I ever alive to you, Ralphie? Never!
You gotta make it happen, baby.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
While searching for random threads, that may have an ego-stroking reference to myself in it, I stumbled across this one. I'm afraid I'm going to have agree with Foust on this one. The episode in which homer shouts for Jebus to save him did result in much laughter for me when I first saw it. But that was a long time ago, and now I have matured enough to see the not-so-fine line between the golden age of simpsons and the newer ones, such as the episode in which Homer becoems a missionary and makes the plea to Jebus that I have already mentioned.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

There are two lines that the Simpsons crossed.

First, the Who Shot Mr. Burns story. I remember watching that, and thinking "Something's wrong here." But I couldn't put my finger on it. I chocked it up to that being a gimic episode.

I also remember the episode where Lisa has a crush on Nelson. I remember thinking "This isn't like any other Simpsons episode I've ever seen..."

It was like somebody flipped the quality switch to "suck."

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Elmo knows where you live!
[Eek!]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't get it. Tsunami IS spelled phonetically. We just choose not to pronounce the t in tsu.
I pronounce it. Most native Amerenglish speakers are just vocally lazy.

[ August 29, 2004, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Actually, it's because "ts" is not an initial sound in English, and many English-speakers have difficulty using it as such.

My eldest's name starts with "Tz" (same phoneme as "ts"), as does the name of the daughter of a friend of mine. My friend came up with the following phrase when our daughters were babies, to help non-Hebrew/Yiddish speakers pronounce her daughter's name (and I co-opted a variant for my use as well): "Itsy bitsy Tzeena!"

Say it after me: "Itsy bitsy tsunami!"

[Big Grin]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.