FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Family Issues

Author Topic: Family Issues
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Please help my family settle a moral disagreement we've had lately.

I bought pizza for lunch today, and left four slices in the box. Though I never officially offered them to my brother and sister, I usually give them each a piece or two. I figured they would've caught on by now, so I left them in the fridge. I got home from work later on and they were still there, after my brother and sister had done their dinner searching. I decided to eat them. Now my brother and sister are claiming that I ate their pizza.

I paid for the pizza. I put it conveniently and noticably in the fridge. They didn't eat it. I did.

So, who's in the right and who's in the wrong?

[ August 11, 2004, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
You're all wrong. *eats the pizza*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
did you at least let them lick the box?
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
You are right.
You paid for it, and you never siad that they could have any at all.

They should buy the next few time to repay you for all the pizza you ahve given them in the past.

If you tell them that, they will possibly see it in another light.

If not, buy smaller pizzas, of freeze the leftovers for yourself, or even throw it out....but don't EVER give them some or they will EXPECT it from you....sort of like they do right now.... [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

I used to get the small pizzas from Pizza Hut, but the one near me closed down. Now I have to go all the way across town for an itty bitty pizza, when I can get a medium pizza (with a 50% rebate, I might add) from the Domino's a block away. *sigh*

Why is life full of all these tough decisions? [Frown]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Goat))))) [Frown]

I'm sorry you're going through tough times right now. Things will look up, you'll see. Pizza problems aren't forever! Hang in there! [Smile]
...You suck.

[ August 11, 2004, 03:17 AM: Message edited by: tt&t ]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
How old are the parties involved? while Kwea sort of makes sense, if you are all basically supported by your parents it gets muddy. If you don't want to go down the road of buying your own fridge and ponying up for the electrical bill... That said, I question their right to accuse you of theft.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

- posted      Profile for SoberTillNoon   Email SoberTillNoon         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That is an amazingly trivial thing to be upset about. Esp. if they ate dinner already and you had not. Not to mention you paid for it. I probably would have killed them all a long time ago if they were always this petty.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Goat, buy them a pie each. Then...... smash them in their faces ! [Big Grin]

I mean, really, of all the problems in the world, this is their biggest right now ?! [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
pooka, DaGoat works for dominos. Or at least, he did when I went to Prescott. He supports himself at least in pizza buying [Razz] .
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally suport your claim, Da_Goat! (can you send me a pizza slice next time? Send it to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. It's really near). [Wink]
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

Pooka, parties involved are 10, 11, and I'm 17. And, actually, I'm currently saving up for one of those small fridges.

Eduardo, if you pay for the shipping, I'd gladly send you a slice of pizza. [Smile]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Communication, communication! Why do some guys find it so hard to simply communicate these little things so everyone's on the same page? Or write a little note? Everyone just assumes what everyone else is thinking...

<sigh>

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Um. They're 10 and 11? Tell them to stop whining and leave the matter alone. If they whine at mom and dad, they should be on your side.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing as you bought the pizza...they have no room to complain.

I think you should have used one of my favorite sayings for when people are bitching about something.

"Sucks to be you"

lol, it is funny to see the change in expression of someone who was complaining about how unfair or tough a situation is once you say that simple phrase. [Smile]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
At 10 or 11, custom is more important than the niceties of ownership.

In their view of the world, you buy pizza, they get a slice. This is THE WAY THINGS THINGS ARE DONE. You bought a pizza, left a slice for them, then ate it. THIS IS NOT THE WAY THINGS ARE DONE.

You've taught them a valuable life lesson. Gratuitious promises are not enforceable, especially when implied by custom. Or, ownership of pizza natura attaches at the point of possession. [Big Grin]

Dagonee
*Sorry, getting ready to head back to school soon.

[ August 12, 2004, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
from Cythera
Member # 6749

- posted      Profile for from Cythera   Email from Cythera         Edit/Delete Post 
At that age, they've probably forgotten about it already. Go offer to play a game with them and they'll love you again.
Posts: 117 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Leave it to a lawyer to make it so that I can no longer understand about a simple slice of pizza. [Wink]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Or punt them across the room and give them something else to wail about.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, if you're 6 years older than them you should be beating them up and stealing their lunch money. Buying them pizza is just going to make them soft and doughy.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Goat, personal opinion, nothing w.rong done on your side. I've the same issue many times. Done the same thing.
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wow. Leave it to a lawyer to make it so that I can no longer understand about a simple slice of pizza.
They say law students outgrow law jokes that no one understands around April of third year, so you all only have 21 more months of this to put up with.

Seriously, it's a compulsion. If I didn't do it I would die.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.