FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hobbes’s KamaCon Event Report (One) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hobbes’s KamaCon Event Report (One)
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
My face is tense, my arms are tight and un-coordinated, and my nerves are shot; Annie is looking, perhaps a bit flushed, but otherwise, graceful, masterful, and most certainly, in control. That’s right, we’re dancing! A few of us took off to the University of Chicago where there was a free swing dancing lessons, followed by some swing dancing music and a general free-for-all in a beautifully painted room at the top of a wonderful, gothic building. The lesson was very good; though they kept rotating us around so I’m afraid I left the comfortable voice and general knowledge bank in Annie.

Within half an hour of the lesson I’d not only not master the basics of swing dancing, I was literally struggling with the most demanding dancing task of standing still, and the half turn was beyond me. Once they opened up the floor to general dancing my beautiful partner, looking poised and unconcerned, informed that this was the ideal time to forget everything they just told me. Due to the fact that I hadn’t learned it in the first place I figured this should be the easiest task of the night. Of course I was wrong, but at least it gave me some confidence for a few seconds until my shoes went back to squeaking and my body kept tipping over due to wrong feet or some such thing. The others were looking good as far as I could tell, but I’m not the guy to ask, my feet seemed particularly important at the time and the only chances I got to look up from them was absorbed by staring at Noah, elegantly swinging various women around in beautiful arcs.

By the end Annie had got me to move around with the beat every once and a while and we’d do a spin, Annie would kick out her feet, and we’d look like at least half a shining couple. I had a good time, though I was at wits end and past the end of my nerves but I saw Annie smiling and at the end, that’s what counts. I go now, to listen to Tom, wish me luck. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KAMA_CON
Member # 6771

- posted      Profile for KAMA_CON           Edit/Delete Post 
Then, they all came back to Kama Con Central and we did a reading (or tried) of The Eye of Argon.

Space Opera won overall.

dkw got the prize for best reading.

Frisco won for "funniest"

and...

Jenny Gardner got the "audience vote" (and that's all I'm going to say about that!)

[Blushing]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Any way I can call you suckers from work?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I was really hoping I'd just stay up today and come down to the KamaCon in the late morning/early afternoon. Now, I don't even know if I can do that. Jess and I have no money, and, though Chicago is close by, we won't be able to afford gas to get down there even for a quick visit. So... I'm sorry. I know you guys will have tons of fun with or without me, but I wish I could come.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Thought Kama might like to know that Polish poet Czeslaw Milosz passed away this morning at age 93.

Love means to learn to look at yourself
The way one looks at distant things
For you are only one thing among many.
And whoever sees that way heals his heart,
Without knowing it, from various ills

Czeslaw Milosz

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

- posted      Profile for SoberTillNoon   Email SoberTillNoon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. I wish I were there, but then again, what could beat sitting here on my comp reading about it? Or rather a brief, yet elegantly described, event experiecned by Hobbes. Either way, I will go in a few years yet.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
STN, for me it is all about getting to meet the wonderful people here. Reading about it here can never make up for missing out on that. [Frown]

But there will be other gatherings. [Smile]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Today after eating at um... Bennington's? Ben-something? Zevlag, Eddie, ElJay, Marek, and I were walking back to the hotel when we came across a Party City shopping cart. So ElJay got in it and Eddie pushed her down the sidewalk. ElJay joked that it felt like she was in a pageant and started doing the wave that people in a pageant do. Then we passed a bus stop and she waved to the people there. As we were walking away one of the guys waving yelled, "Where do I get one those?!"

edit: rivka: "ronnie, why aren't we getting reports in person?"

[ August 14, 2004, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Rappin' Ronnie Reagan ]

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
How sad is it that I hear about this HERE, and not, well here -- in person?

Hmm?

[Edit: darn, beaten!]

[ August 14, 2004, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to preserve it for posterity!
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Taunt]
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
It was great, so hillarious.

[Smile]

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's something that I already told people.

On the way back from the Art Institute, when we got to the bus station, there was this random guy singing along loudly to a twenty year old boom box. He danced, the radio DJ broke into the song a bunch of times. (It was a tape, could have even been him) and then he just picked up his boom box and walked off without catching a bus at all. It was like.. the weirdest thing ever.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Rock on London
Rock on Chicago!
Wheaties: Breakfast of Champions.

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob and I are home safely. Bummed about having to leave early, but happy that we were there and got to meet so many Hatrackers (and see again the ones we'd already met.)
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear it Dk.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
Although this is my first post on Hatrack I am here at KamaCon. I came with Fugu and Blacwolve to see what all of the fuss is about. I am really glad I came. All of the people here are great. Meeting these people has helped me get over my phobia of online friends. [Smile]
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay I got to talk to lots of cool people including Kama! And ohman, accent! Hehe. [Big Grin]

... Doesn't stop me from wishing I was there, but hey, better than nothing. [Cool]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I must elaborate on our musical friend that Ryuko reported on. He was an older black gentleman, who looked from a distance like later-in-life Elvis. He was wearing huge gold aviator glasses and mutton chops. The tunes he was blasting from his circa-1984 boom box were straight off the soul train and taped off a particularly obnoxious radio show. Every now and then, paying no heed to Katharina and Jenny Gardener who were boogying down, he would sing along.

Just before the bus approached, he shouldered the boom box and headed down the street.

"You know what that was?" says Tom Davidson; "That was a Soul Fairy."

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, also-

Hobbes, Annie and Ronnie Reagan are the OFFICIAL KamaCon Trivial Pursuit champions, though they won it by a very narrow margin over fierce competition.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

And even though they don't know what Yom Kippur is called.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

It was mostly Annie doing the winning, though.

[ August 15, 2004, 03:40 AM: Message edited by: Rappin' Ronnie Reagan ]

rivka
Member # 4859

What's it called when two people two feet apart post to the same thread a minute apart?
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

kamacon.
rivka
Member # 4859

Touche.
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Allegra!! Welcome!! I know you!! [Wave] How's it going?

*sob* I WISH I WAS AT KAMACON! [Frown]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*pat pat*
SoberTillNoon
Member # 6170

- posted      Profile for SoberTillNoon   Email SoberTillNoon         Edit/Delete Post 
:: curses trivial prusuit ::

That game can ROT!

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Shani! I am sorry you couldn't be here. [Frown] How have you been? You should e-mail me and tell me all about everything.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I know allegra too, hehe. I wish I was there but I had fun at Indiana State fair leadership conference.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys! Lime and I made it home safely. [Smile] So did xnera! I just heard from her as well. So, yay! It's too bad we had to go...but, hopefully, we'll meet again soon! [Big Grin]

We had a blast, by the way. [Smile]

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm home safe, too! I was so happy to spend time with everyone!
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
I am sad you all had to leave, but I am so glad that you made it home safe!
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
*raised eyebrows*

Especially for the roommate who forces you to go outside at 5 AM? [Evil]

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally made it home too. [Smile]

Good times. [Cool]

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Ryuko and I are back in Minnesota, and she is on her way to work. We made good time, (read: didn't get stopped for speeding,) I only needed coffee once despite a mere 1.5 hours sleep last night, and as we were traveling West we got to watch a beautiful sunset.

It was a fabulous time, so happy to have met everyone I hadn't before and seen again all I already knew. [Wink] Can't wait to do it again.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
And you remembered everything I asked you to bring home, yes?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Ummmmm.....

I don't know, what all did you ask me to bring home?

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Oh, and it must be added that we came across a shopping cart after lunch today, too. So I gave Eddie a ride, and then Andrea hopped on, and then Ken joined her, and I pushed all three of them down the block and into traff... no, no wait, we stopped at the corner.
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Ken and I are also home safe, though he's in grandrapids and I'm in adrian again. ::sigh::

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Kama Con has officially moved to my house for the night, though there are still people at the hotel. The reason why I can say it has officially moved for now is because I have Kama here.

[Evil Laugh]

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that kind of like how no matter where the 'real' Air Force One is, any plane currently transporting the President is considered 'Air Force One'?
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm... Eye of Argon...

*snicker*

Couldn't make it through three sentences... *giggle*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
tired.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Sup fools! Made it back home to Detroit. Hope you are all still having fun at Aj's house! Rock rock on!

[Group Hug]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

I'm alive and at work. Woo.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Well, I hope you're all satisfied...

I hope you had a fabulous time and didn't give the rest of us one thought... (except for those I talked to yesterday [Smile] )

I hope you're all brimming with exciting stories that the rest of us can't participate in, and that will flood Hatrack for the next few weeks...

Ok, I'm done. *grumble* Kama, welcome to the US. Next trip Jerusalem, right? [Wink] *nudge*

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

I meant to talk to you, Raia, but I had to take a shower. You wouldn't want to talk to me when you could smell me all the way from Jerusalem...
Raia
Member # 4700

*giggles* It's alright. [Smile] We can talk another time, perhaps! I would have liked to talk to you too.
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I made it home also...and am back at work. Stupid people on train keeping me from sleep. [Mad]

I'll have a full report of my own tonight, time permitting. Let's do it again soon though! [Big Grin]

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.