FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Midwest Fall Camping Trip Oct 22-24 Indiana Location still under discussion (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Midwest Fall Camping Trip Oct 22-24 Indiana Location still under discussion
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, heavens. A ton of Hatrackers just might be enough to convince me to *shudder* camp.

Maybe.

Ack! This is not good! It's practically a moral dilemma!

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Even better: You could all come camp in MY WOODS!!! The one with the Dragonhead tree. There's not much to do, but we could hang around the campfire and stuff. We have 2 acres of field and 8 acres of woods.

What a party we could have!!!

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
And, since it's in the middle of Podunk Nowhere, we can do lots of things you can't do in a regular campground. Set off big fireworks, make lots of noise late at night, imbibe alcoholic beverages, etc.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
All that water more than makes up for it...just not in October...and the Midwest doesn't have rotaries, so they win the intelligent driving award too.... [Big Grin]

quote:

posted August 17, 2004 04:52 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interesting. I sent my wife a link to the thread that spawned this to see what her thoughts were. No response. Then I started getting ebay bid notices for tents in my e-mail.

[ROFL]

[ August 17, 2004, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm jenny, where exactly are you located?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh! Jenny's place sounds awesome. We could make a lot of noise and not get yelled at. We could also have fun scaring the sh*t out of anyone who's silly enough to try and go to bed early.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
JT Stryker and I are volunteering to plan something in Bloomington in October. We can get camping gear, a boat, and a great location (that's his area), I will arrange plane pickups, food, and other logistics. Let me know if this sounds like an option to anyone. email sar_bear37 at hotmail.com with questions. Dates can be discussed here.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone is interested in Camping in the Bloomington area, I know of several convenient locations that are easily accessible by boat from lake Monroe (decent sized body of water), but far enough out that annoying drunks don't go that far, so the camping area is clean. If we decide to go with the Bloomington route, I'm a boy scout, so I have a lot of knowledge about the area, Emergency evacuations from the site in question (if your allergic to peanuts, don't eat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups), and access to lots of camping gear. Let me know if Bloomington sounds good or not (and we do have decent sized hills)

Strker

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to go but distance + school = NO.

But of course, there's always BobDanaWeddingCon in April... (hopeful)

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
*wonders how far it is from Kansas to Bloomington Indiana*

*goes to Rand McNally to find out*

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I guess the question is how many modern convienences people want or need. Part of me would love to be out in the middle of nowhere. I like that. But, if it means eliminating a half dozen people who won't come unless there are shower facilities available it isn't worth it.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
You wouldn't lose me for lack of a shower. I might actually have to use the cologne that I got for Christmas though...
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
::rues the day football became important in her life::

Bloomington is pretty far for a weekend trip in November for me, at least. Especially with football, movies, class, work, and probably midterms.

We could chill somewhere in southern-ish Wisconsin. Or northern-ish Illinois.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a lake, which I myself have bathed in on multiple occasions, but if showers are a must, their are several "camp grounds" in the Bloomington area. These camp grounds vary on their camping-like aura, but unfortunately, no matter where we go camping, there will be no internet, maybe we should call this little venture "Hatrack Unplugged". Lol

Stryker

edit; I misspelled unplugged

[ August 18, 2004, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: J T Stryker ]

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

How about early october, say the 8th through 10th?
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
we could find a location that actually has showers, parking, and fairly easy access.

The early october dates work well for me.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

How are you planning the food? Is it going to be "bring your own" or do you have the $2-300 it is going to cost to float the supplies?

I'm not entirely comfortable with the date, but Purdue is off that weekend.

AJ

TheTick
Member # 2883

Any weekend but the 8/9/10 would be a possibility for me, as I'd be looking to ask off of work for a few days. Don't plan around me though. [Big Grin] I thought the Halloween date worked well, so I don't have to hand candy out to rude children.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's decide the definate date soon. I really want to attend, especially since it will be so close, but Mr. Opera and I will need to set up childcare. And we don't care about showers. Wait...perhaps I shouldn't have phrased it that way. I like to be clean, but if I have to shower at a campsite I'd rather not shower at all if it's just a weekend. Campsite showers are gross.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I'd prefer the weekend after that too tick.

like I said the 9th is OU-TX.

AJ

[ August 18, 2004, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

J T Stryker
Member # 6300

The 15th and 16 don't work for Breyerchic or me, either one. The only problem with doing it over Halloween is the unpredictable Indiana weather, it could be 70 and sunny, or 35 and rainy. So, either the 8th through 10th, 22nd through 24th, or the 29th through 31st, any of these work for us. I think I'm leaning towards no showers for the weekend, so unless anyone who is planning on coming has a major objection, there won't be showers. As far as food goes, Breyerchic and I can arrange all of that, but I'm not cooking, someone else can volunteer for that.

Stryker

Space Opera
Member # 6504

Any of those dates should work for me, except Halloween. Doing it on Halloween would probably mean that not very many people with families could attend. My kiddos like to go trick-or-treating!!!

space opera

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I think.... MICHIGAN! [Evil]
There are TONS of places to camp here! [Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the idea of Jenny's woods. They're sort of north of central Indiana, correct?

Of course, whether or not I'll actual be able to go is still up in the air.

[ August 18, 2004, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Jeni ]

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Diane and I will almost certainly miss this one. I'll be on the road during the last week of October and coming back November 2 (gotta remember to do the paperwork for the absentee ballot). Probably other travel in that month as well.

For this and future camping-type stuff, our plan would probably be to grab a motel room or cabin nearby. Going without electricity for more than a day is not an option for a motorized chair user.
But I don't think that will be a problem - it sounds like if we did want to come to this, we'd just stay someplace in the Bloomington area and drive back and forth.

Probably figure on the same plan for future events.

However, we can both promise to refrain from showering to show our solidarity with everyone else. [Smile]

[ August 18, 2004, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this actually going to happen? Because, if it is, I think we probably need to decide on a date within the next week or so, since this is pretty soon and I think a lot of people (myself included) need to start making plans soon.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

My vote for the date would be October 22-24 despite the fact that that is the weekend of the Purdue-Michicgan football game.

AJ

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

as far as I can tell that weekend would work for me.
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

Are there any major objections to the 22nd through 24th? That weekend works for me.
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
The 22nd-24th is fine for me unless it is fall break. I am going to be in Georgia college hunting over fall break. I looked on the mccsc website and it hadn't updated its calendar so I probably won't know for sure until next Wednesday.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like that weekend is fall break. [Frown]
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

sigh, someone's probably going to be left out no matter what weekend we plan it for...

AJ

Carrie
Member # 394

Actually, I really can blame football for not being able to attend the weekend of the 24th - I'm taking a friend to a Packers game.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Wow, at Lambeau? That's pretty cool.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

If we had it at Jenny's could we convince the illusive CT to make an appearance?

AJ

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagnabbit, joke not working. Something about CT being illustrated. There's some funny around here somewhere, I just know it.

[ August 19, 2004, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll send superglue and duct tape.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a life. I'll be there wherever and whenever it is.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Yeah, at Lambeau. We're probably taking off after the Badger game here in Madison and heading up to spend the night at my parents' house, then going with them to see the Cowboys lose. Hopefully.

Reading all this has reminded me that I've only met three Hatrackers. I need to work on this.

TheTick
Member # 2883

That's cool...I'd love to go see a game at Soldier Field, being a Bears fan. But living in Buffalo, I'll probably get to the Ralph first.
Space Opera
Member # 6504

So is the 22-24th a definate? I can't wait to meet some of you for the first time and some of you again!

space opera

Carrie
Member # 394

The new Soldier Field looks awful, just so you know. I might be spoiled with the excellent job they did on Lambeau, but even the Chicagoland natives believe Soldier Field to be a monstrosity.
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

Ok, 22nd-24th sounds like a definite to me. Is everybody set on Bloomington, or are some of you still holding out for Jenny's? If Bloomington is ok, I'll go out and take pictures of the possible locations and post them, we can vote from there.

Stryker

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I think the date is set and I'll change the thread title to reflect that. As for the location, we need a list of pros and cons for Jenny Gardner's woods vs a "real" camping spot. Right now I'm torn.

Also, much as I like you both Stryker and breyerchic and I know you are reliable, I really don't think you have any idea what you are getting yourselves into by volunteering to plan this. It is the time commitment aspect that concerns me. How busy are your school schedules going to be at that point in time? (You are both seniors in high school right?) Do you realize how many loose ends and phone calls and e-mails you will be fielding the weeks before the event?

(Remember my escalating snarkiness before Kama Con... Once you tell the umpteenth someone privately something you've already posted publically a half dozen times you begin to wonder where people keep their brains and how you will keep your sanity and this was actually easier than a lot of other events I've done since Hatrackers are smarter than your average bear even though smart people question everything and drive you crazy.)

Also even reserving campsites costs money.

One of the biggest advantages I can see to Jenny's place is the word "Free!"

AJ

[ August 20, 2004, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Listen to AJ. She is wise.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm both strongly in favor of a Bloomington location, and willing to help organize (and I'm a darn good organizer for big events, I ran a fairly major student government committee for a year).

Also, being really near bloomington is not to be underestimated -- Bloomington has dozens of musical performances/other artistic events every single week during the school year, most free, and many of world class level (a doctoral music student at IU is a player of incredible skill, for instance).

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

You know the other interesting thing that occured to me is that this will be our own little version of Hatrack Survivor.

Can we all survive without our hatrack? Who cracks first? How long can the die hard techies survive without a computer?? (though from knowing fugu I suspect he might have something up his sleeve...)

On the other hand maybe we'd actually talk to each other more. Even though I was hoarse afterwards, I have a thousand questions I want to ask everyone. Basically meeting them in person only made me more curious about them rather than less.

AJ

[ August 20, 2004, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

J T Stryker
Member # 6300

Will hatrack be all but dead for a weekend? *gasp* We may have to make a trip to the public library for our daily dose of hatcrack.
TheTick
Member # 2883

Sorry AJ, you missed your chance to get any more info out of me. I used up my talking quota for the year at Kamacon.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Considering the fact we had nearly 50 jatraqueros in the same place last weekend, hatrack was pretty dead...

AJ

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.