FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Midwest Fall Camping Trip Oct 22-24 Indiana Location still under discussion (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Midwest Fall Camping Trip Oct 22-24 Indiana Location still under discussion
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Tick but if your wife comes camping... [Evil Laugh]

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
What? She can do the talking? [Smile]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

actually I think you should be more worried about celia and less about me if your wife and kid do show up... ritual human sacrifice to appease her evilness and all...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
ritual human sacrifice to appease her evilness and all...

It's my understanding she's not too picky about the "ritual" part, as long as there's a sacrifice. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Yeah she's willing work with soul sacrifices that leave the body intact too.

In fact she had a burgeoning soul resale business for a while as I recall...

AJ

TheTick
Member # 2883

I don't think we can make it, but I'd love for my wife to go as long as young women can resist flirting with me.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
In fact she had a burgeoning soul resale business for a while as I recall...

Didn't know that.

But would you buy a used soul from Celia?

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

what? kidding aside, I thought you said that was the weekend you would be able to make it?

AJ
(read back, guess it was always more of a "might", but it isn't the 8-10th either)

[ August 20, 2004, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

TheTick
Member # 2883

I know, but some things have come up that require my time off elsewhere. [Frown] It's too long a drive for just a weekend.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

[Cry]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

sndrake, I'd by a used soul from celia if she had it whipped into shape and well trained...
Khal Drogo
Member # 6786

- posted      Profile for Khal Drogo   Email Khal Drogo         Edit/Delete Post 
Bloomington is a good place, theirs a decent group of hatrackers there, and it really is quite stunning in the fall.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
sndrake, I'd by a used soul from celia if she had it whipped into shape and well trained...
[Eek!] [Angst]

[ August 20, 2004, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

TheTick
Member # 2883

It's okay, I'm not a big fan of camping. I'm already going camping way too much for my tastes this year, but a Hatrack camping trip would've been a bit more appealing. Oh well.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

well only certain souls...I think she knows which souls I'm in the market for... but they'd still have to be whipped into shape.
[Wink]
AJ

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
camping camping camping... is fun!

[Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

does that mean you'd consider coming Telperion? I don't think bloomington would be quite as far of a drive for you would it?

AJ

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be willing to help with the planning in any way that I can. I suppose I can't do a whole lot from another state, but just know that I'd be happy to help make phone calls or anything else that's needed.

Location is a tough decision. Jenny's is free, and I'm sure we'd have a blast. I suppose it depend on if we want to go out during the day and do anything that Bloomington offers or not.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
While I refuse to camp (I'm just...not a camping kind of person), I'm in Bloomington, and will gladly participate as long as I don't have to sleep outside (I can just go home to sleep...sorry, I'm a wuss). I'd also be willing to help whoever is doing the planning with...the planning. [Big Grin]

Edit: I'm also a doctoral student at the music school, and I can attest to the quality of the performances here. It's really amazing. The weekend in question is one of the opera weekends, and they're doing Eugene Onegin that weekend.

[ August 20, 2004, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Megan ]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys can go to the opera, I'll sing songs by the fire, thats more my kind of music.
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we could pull it off, but if Jenny wants to do it, and stryker (and other bloomington people) don't get too upset, I would also love to go up there. So I really don't care either way.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Its not so much a matter of upset as a selfish reason -- I'd very much prefer to minimize my time off work/school (particularly school), as I have an extended weekend trip and a wedding in california to attend in late september.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly where is Jenny's? I think We'll have a blast no matter where we go, but depending on where Jenny lives, we may have more options as far as what to do around Bloomington. The Charles Deam wilderness has a lot of really good things to do, and oh wait, camping there is free. [Big Grin] We also can do a day trip into Nashville, which is a tourist trap full of cool little shops (and the most beautiful trees in the fall). I'll be there, no matter where we go though.
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
bump to have people decide where they would rather have the campout so that the people planning can start organizing.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I'd give a little more time to hear from everyone. (Wonder where Jenny Gardner has gone) But after a certain point you guys will just have to take control and start making decisions. The rest of us will whine and moan, but be happy you are doing the work in the long run.
[Wink] (You'll be much better at herding cats by the time this is over...)

AJ

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I have learned from the greatest, I have a sheltie, so I am [Smile] already good at herding cats, but that's not what I was thinking in organizational tallent, that one comes from watching all those teachers and parents organize so many concerts, fundraisers, and trips.
fugu13
Member # 2859

*cackles maniacally*
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

fugu has met the teachers, most of the parents, and the sheltie, so he is allowed to cackle, but must admit I am right.

[ August 22, 2004, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: breyerchic04 ]

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw fugu cackle at KamaCon; it's an image that will live with me forever. [Big Grin]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

btw who has tents and stoves and stuff? I was thinking I could buy one of those giant "family size" tents at costco or sam's on the cheap to help house everyone.

I don't actually have a propane stove though.

AJ

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

that's strykers area, we have a screen house thingy, and I think some other needed stuff.
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Mr. Opera and I have a tent that will probably only sleep us. Supposedly it sleeps 4, but you must want to get really up close and comfortable. Has there been any checking done to see if there is a state park or something that has a "group" camp site?

space opera

fugu13
Member # 2859

Trust us, location is not a problem. There are lit. dozens of options for camping in the bloomington area, most of which would work.
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Goody. My vote is definately for a place where we can all camp in one huge site as opposed to the hassle of reserving several sites which might or might be right next to one another.

AJ brought up a good point about there being a Purdue game the weekend we're planning this - hence tons of traffic for people coming from the north or west. So, I guess my question is - have we decided to go with the Bloomington area? I'm just excited about getting to see all of you again so soon!

space opera

edit: We can probably give a ride to Marek or anyone else in the area who might need one. It looks like the kiddos will be with their daddy that weekend.

[ August 22, 2004, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Space Opera ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I have everything needed for camping (including the propane stove) however, it doesn't look like this will work for me/us. A weekend or two before would work - because I could do it the weekend before or after I am in Chicago (by going up earlier or staying later) -- but this is scheduled for a whole week later, which would require me returning home from Chicago and then going back.

So sorry I can't come this time -- but look forward to next summer if we do the Catskills!

Farmgirl

[ August 23, 2004, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

As far as location goes, we can either go with an established (pay) camp ground, or we could ruff it on our own. I think I'm leaning towards the established one, it would make a lot less headaches for me. [Big Grin] I have only one question for hatrackers, if it is in Bloomington, do we want to be near a body of water, or not?
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
You have GOT to be kidding me... you're getting together IN BLOOMINGTON while I'm 5000 freaking miles away?!?!?!

I swear, it's a conspiracy. [Frown]

*cries quietly in corner*

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs Raia*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

*cuddles in Kat's arms* Th-th-thank you... y-y-you're s-so s-s-sweet! [Cry]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I vote established near but not too near water, like it's a quick walk but if the lake is high (I haven't been reading that part of the paper) we don't feel in danger. I don't like headache's either and I would probably get stuck with one if it were an unestablished camping area.

((((((raia)))))) you weren't supposed to figure the conspiracy out!, no seriously it wasn't planned just sorta came up that it would work here.

the master
Member # 6788

- posted      Profile for the master   Email the master         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm too lazy to read the three pages of thread here, so i'll risk repeating something already mentioned.

there is an excellent winery in bloomington so if you go and you aren't dry, find time to go for a tasting. the grounds at Oliver are also lovely, but you may have had enough of the outdoors by then.

Posts: 157 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*smooths Raia's hair* I know, sweetie. It's hardly fair, isn't it? Your friends are so nice, though. That's gotta be pretty cool. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Wine lovers should visit Western NY during the summer (yes we do have one!) as there are a ton of wineries in the region. My wife loves going, although with her surgery just the tasting amounts is enough to get her pretty buzzed. [Wink] Good thing I don't drink, I'm always the designated driver.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

hmm wine tasting sounds great. I'll offer my mini-van for transportation but someone else better be the designated driver.

AJ

J T Stryker
Member # 6300

I'll drive, Of course you'll want to bring a little back for after I drive everyone home. [Big Grin]

[ August 23, 2004, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: J T Stryker ]

Raia
Member # 4700

*sniff*

*choke*

*starts crying again* I WANNA COME!!!! [Cry]

And that's actually where I LIVE! Except for this year!!! [Frown]

Space Opera
Member # 6504

So the plan seems to be the weekend of October 22-24, and the location is somewhere in Bloomington, correct? Is this the definate plan?

space opera

J T Stryker
Member # 6300

Sounds like a plan to me, i'll have the exact location in bloomington figured out by the end of the week.
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
CHECK AVAILABILITY!!! Southern Indiana is very beautiful in the fall, and often campsites are booked nearly a year in advance. That's the biggest issue you will probably run into. I think that camping in Bloomington would actually be a much better option than my place because of the "stuff to do", facilities you don't have to dig yourself, and inexperienced campers. My place I offer as an alternative, with maybe a collection to rent a pit toilet or something.

I have camping gear, backpacks, etc. I'm assuming I could bring my family? I have a 6-year-old and a husband who will want to come. Anybody else with kids and non-Hatrack spouses? Abby has room in her tent for 1 other little tyke..

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Fugu has a very convincing argument, too. I love college towns...

And I could lead lots of fun woodland games and stuff. I volunteer to help whoever sets up the camping trip with Events. Unless someone else wants to do that.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.