FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Laptop Help

Author Topic: Laptop Help
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
Two years ago, I bought a refurbished HP Pavilion laptop. It's really nice, too. However, I'm having some troubles with the screen. The screen is damaged, somewhat, (single pixels that are just black, parts of the screen where the color is off) and I can't figure out why. I'm very careful with my laptop, but it seems more appear every once in a while, and I'm wondering: can this be fixed? And, on average, how much does that normally cost? Oh, and is there any way to safely clean a laptop screen?

Also, my battery life seems to be decreasing. Anyone have any idea what could cause that?

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry I can't help with the major problems, but I clean my laptop screen using the same solution and cloth I use on my eyeglasses.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

I found this site with repair costs; however, I'm not much good with computer language. Which of these falls under replacing the screen?
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
The reason your battery is dying is because laptops uses Lithium Ion (commonly called Li-Ion) batteries. The problem with Li-Ion batteries is that they only have a life of a finite cycle of recharges, and every time it recharges the overall life decreases a little. There isn't anything you can do about it, and the only way to get a good battery is to buy it directly from the distributor...never trust a battery from ebay or anywhere else unless it specifically says that the battery was made BY the company that made your computer.
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
Anthro: "LCD replacement" is the one you're looking for.

Before using that site, though, I would check to see if you're still under a manufacturer's warranty; some of those go for three years or more.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard from a few people who are more electronic-literate than me that the best thing to do for any battery-operated device is to use it until the battery completely runs out before recharging it. It might be voodoo, but the impression I get is that it gives the battery a bit more slack.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the type of battery. That's true for most rechargeable batteries, including most laptops, but iPods (for example) don't have a "memory" when it comes to recharging and actually function better if you do not allow your battery to fully discharge.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
This is true for nickle-cadmium and, to a lesser extent, nickle-hydride batteries. To the best of my knowledge, it is not true about lithium ion batteries.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
You will need a new battery. There is no way to 'fix' a battery that does not hold a charge anymore. They simply loose their effectiveness after a while.

As for your LCD screen, that happens sometimes. Individual pixels simply die. As more and more die, you start noticing it. The screen must be replaced...it won't get better, it can only get worse without replacement. I would be careful about who I had do it though, make sure it is a place that can be trusted. I doubt a refurbished laptop would still be under warrantee...unless you bought the extended warrantee from the store (ie: best buy) but you could always check.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

No, my arranty's long expired, I know. But I still have about three hundred dollars left over from the money I set aside to buy a laptop, and I wasn't entirely sure that would cover it.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The best way to replace an LCD screen is to buy a laptop of the same model (which is no longer working and being sold for parts) off ebay for $50-$75, then either replace it yourself (usually pretty straightforward) or pay a place to do it (just a few minutes of work on most models).

[ August 21, 2004, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.