FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Elegy for a tree

Author Topic: Elegy for a tree
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I, who didn’t cry when my grandma died, two years ago.
Neither when a good old school friend died last year.
Nor when I saw a 16 year-old being arrested, two days ago.

I shed tears for the loss of a tree. It was a mango tree (“mangueira”, as we call it) that was located in my neighbor yard, but very, very close to the fence that separates it from my yard. Its trunk leaned towards the fence, so most of the branches were inside my terrain, providing cool shade and the delicious mango.
My favorite spot in the whole yard was the one besides the tree shadow, sitting in an old, confy chair, reading some book, studying , listening to music or just hanging out with friends or my cousings, who live nearby.
For years I knew that tree. Its presence was as certain to me as the sun or the moon. It was part of what I called “home”.
For some time, I’ve been listening to conversations between my grandpa, my father and the neighbors, that the tree roots were too strong, weakening some walls...but I never felt they would actually cut it down.
I just went from work. When I entered home, through the yard, I could see some neighboring houses that I never could see, because of the canopy of branches, leaves and fruits...that were simply not there. The yard felt bare. Striped. Dead. I entered home and pathetically asked my father: “where’s the tree?”
Where’s the tree...as if I didn’t knew. The most stupid question I must have made in a long time. It was felled, of course.
I entered my room, looked through the window and was filled with emptiness (if emptiness can actually fill something) and sorrow, as if I had betrayed an old friend by not doing anything to prevent his death. That’s it. Some tears welled from my eyes, as if some dear friend was now dead.

My family would surely thing I’m nuts or something if I said it aloud. My girlfriend must be sleeping, by now. So, this “elegy”, for a tree you never saw and never will, is now registered in Hatrack. At least, people from many places now will know there was once a mango tree in a tiny corner of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, but not anymore.
[Frown]

[ August 26, 2004, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Eduardo_Sauron ]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
The tree mattered to you, and that's all that matters. [Frown]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for your loss. [Frown]

Maybe you can plant a mango tree in your own yard close to the spot of the other tree?

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I would, but I doubt my folks would like it. [Frown]
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I read your post and knew exactly what you mean. I'm sorry [Frown]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry. [Frown]

Sometimes it's easier to grieve for a non-human loss than a human one... but I can completely understand considering a tree a friend. There's one in Tulsa where I used to spend a lot of time in the branches, that I would love to go back and visit.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a tree that I would weep for as well, Eduardo, were it cut down. So for what it's worth, I understand.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I've cried many tears over trees being cut down, or falling naturally. They're so tall and beautiful, and then some person comes with an axe or a chainsaw and chops them down and hacks them up into firewood.

Usually the go for a reason; they are dangerous or destructive or dying, but I still cry.

((E_S and mangueira tree))

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

What was the tree like Eduardo? What was its wood like? How were its leaves shaped? What color was the bark?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Eduardo, I am someone who does not cry at so many of the things that bring tears to the eyes of my fellow humans. Then, unexpectantly, something will bring tears to my eyes. Something like your tree. Thanks for sharing that.

I wish I had a mango tree growing in my yard. It is, after all, the most perfect fruit made by God.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

This is true. Well, or the best fruit that evolved randomly. Either way, Best. Fruit. Ever.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Know how that goes. I grew up with the nicest maple tree that shaded us in the summer and had the nicest yellow leaves in the fall.
My grandmother chopped it down when I was in Jr high. It was nothing but an ugly stump..
I never knew why she did that...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pajeba
Member # 5656

- posted      Profile for pajeba           Edit/Delete Post 
The house I grew up in is in a neighborhood on (what used to be) the edge of town, practically in the woods. It's so beatiful and peaceful and home, like your tree was.
A developer is going to cut it all down to build houses. It's not even like it's an ideal area for development - all steep hills/valleys that flood every year.

I'll admit I cried about that. [Frown] I know where you're coming from.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Something tells me Shel Silverstein understood these feelings too.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for reminding me of that, PSI. I have cried over many a tree as well.

quote:
THE GIVING TREE

Once there was a giving tree who loved a little boy.
And everyday the boy would come to play
Swinging from the branches, sleeping in the shade
Laughing all the summer’s hours away.
And so they love,
Oh, the tree was happy.
Oh, the tree was glad.

But soon the boy grew older and one day he came and said,
"Can you give me some money, tree, to buy something I’ve found?"
"I have no money," said the tree, "Just apples, twigs and leaves."
"But you can take my apples, boy, and sell them in the town."
And so he did and
Oh, the tree was happy.
Oh, the tree was glad.

But soon again the boy came back and he said to the tree,
"I’m now a man and I must have a house that’s all my home."
"I can’t give you a house" he said, "The forest is my house."
"But you may cut my branches off and build yourself a home"
And so he did.
Oh, the tree was happy.
Oh, the tree was glad.

And time went by and the boy came back with sadness in his eyes.
"My life has turned so cold," he says, "and I need sunny days."
"I’ve nothing but my trunk," he says, "But you can cut it down
And build yourself a boat and sail away."
And so he did and
Oh, the tree was happy.
Oh, the tree was glad.

And after years the boy came back, both of them were old.
"I really cannot help you if you ask for another gift."
"I’m nothing but an old stump now. I’m sorry but I’ve nothing more to give"
"I do not need very much now, just a quiet place to rest,"
The boy, he whispered, with a weary smile.
"Well", said the tree, "An old stump is still good for that."
"Come, boy", he said, "Sit down, sit down and rest a while."
And so he did and
Oh, the trees was happy.
Oh, the tree was glad.

by Shel Silverstein

FG
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel your pain! We had a beautiful grove of walnut trees in the yard behind us. One day a tree cutter came to explain he would be doing some work in the area. One by one they cut the trees down and each day I told Tom that surely they would leave the prettiest two that were closest to us. I was seriously depressed as for a week I had to look at the bare trunks of those beautiful trees that housed so many of the creatures that visited my yard. Finally they were taken away, and we found out later, sold to help pay for our neighbors retirement. *sigh*

*hugs Ed*

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I too have cried over a tree.

In third grade we grew trees from seeds and planted them on Arbor Day. I chose to plant mine right in the center of my parents' yard where it stood for years after we moved there.

About two years ago, I drove by my old house to brag about my tree to my then boyfriend and it was gone. I cried so hard that we had to pull over.

Not that long ago, I drove by again on my way to somewhere and depite the pain I knew I would feel at looking at where my tree had been, I turned, and I couldn't believe it, but my tree had actually grown back!

I know I just got lucky because someone was too lazy to do the job right, but for yoursake, I hope your tree grows back too, Eduardo.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Trees live longer than people do, and their comforting ability runs deep. In my yard was a willow. My husband carried my infant daughter underneath that tree, singing to her, to get her to sleep when she was cranky. It gave shade and beauty to a little creek. It housed birds and animals.

One day, my neighbor's friends got overeager when taking down his trees and came into our yard. They cut the tree down. It was on the edge of the property line.

I wept. They said, "Sorry. It looked dead. We thought you'd want it cut down" before they slunk away, intimidated by my tears and my husband's emotional ferocity.

I mourned that tree. My husband called the cops.

I, too, know what it is to lose a tree you love. May you be comforted in your sorrow.

If you can, go leave an offering of cornmeal or birdseed on the stump and talk to the spirit of the tree. Let it know what it meant to you. It will help.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.