FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » AGH! NATIONAL TALK LIKE A PIRATE DAY IS COMING!!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: AGH! NATIONAL TALK LIKE A PIRATE DAY IS COMING!!!!
Turgan
Member # 6697

- posted      Profile for Turgan   Email Turgan         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html

ONLY 18 DAYS LEFT!
I'M SO EXCITED!
HEEEEEEEEEEE!

Posts: 529 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually it's international talk like a pirate day [Wink]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Arrrrrg! I am the Pirate King!

*He is! Hurra for the Pirate King!*

And it certain is good to be the Pirate King!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turgan
Member # 6697

THERE ARE NO PIRATE KINGS!
ARRR!
ME THINKS WE HAVE A MUTINY!
*draws sword*
AVAST ME HARTY'S! STAND BACK WHILST A PUT THIS DEVIL IN HIS PLACE!

Posts: 529 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, has it really been a whole year since the last one...?? My, how time flies.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Blackheart
Member # 5610

- posted      Profile for Erik Blackheart           Edit/Delete Post 
Ya' scaliwags!

Beat ta Quarters, ye mangy currs! Who's with me?

Posts: 38 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
"...and for his love did I expose myself!"

-Pirate talking about his "friend" in 12th Night.-

[ August 31, 2004, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that I'll just be one of the stuffy British sailors that looks down his nose at the filthy pirates.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

*bum Bum BUM*

HAIL! POETRY! Thou heav'n born maid!
Thou guild-less is the Pirate's trade!
Hail, flowing fount of sen...ti...ment....
All hail.
All hail!
All hail Divine Emollient!

Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
Tel-He said he was never a pirate! "Antonio never yet was thief nor pirate, though I confess, on base and ground enough Orsino's enemy"

You mean he was really a pirate??? He didn't seem very....piratical. I always figured military type thing, or privateer. Which i guess is a pirate...

[ August 31, 2004, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Toretha ]

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Arr...
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Pirates of the Carribean puts a new twist on "Talk like a Pirate day." Somehow "Bob's your Uncle, Fanny's your Aunt" or "I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request" doesn't quite have the same ring as: "Arrgh, Jim boy!"
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehehe. I have a poofy-sleeved shirt that will find some use on this day. If only I had an eyepatch...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michael thompson
Member # 6822

- posted      Profile for michael thompson   Email michael thompson         Edit/Delete Post 
*fallow on*

Ry's got the patch, and I've got the spittle,
whaddya'll care if we wiff-butt a bittle?

*fallow off*

MT

Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turgan
Member # 6697

HA!
ARRR MATEYS!
INTERNATIONAL TALK LIKE A PIRATE DAY IS ONLY 17 DAYS AWAY!

Captain Jack: Yes yes yes. You caught me. But I'll escape.
Brittish officer: Oh? And what makes you think that?
Captain Jack: Well, in the midst of all this fighting and yelling, you forgot one thing mate.
Brittish officer: What's that?
Captain Jack: I'm Jack Sparrow.

YARR!

Carrie
Member # 394

Savvy?
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turgan
Member # 6697

Yarr.
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Captain Jack: Yes yes yes. You caught me. But I'll escape.
Brittish officer: Oh? And what makes you think that?
Captain Jack: Well, in the midst of all this fighting and yelling, you forgot one thing mate.
Brittish officer: What's that?
Captain Jack: I'm Jack Sparrow.

Not Captian Jack Sparrow?
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Is that even in the movie?
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
Tel-He said he was never a pirate! "Antonio never yet was thief nor pirate, though I confess, on base and ground enough Orsino's enemy"

You mean he was really a pirate??? He didn't seem very....piratical. I always figured military type thing, or privateer. Which i guess is a pirate...

Well.... he CLAIMS that he's no pirate.. but he sank the flagship "Phoenix" and several other ships of the fleet of Ilira... plus he killed Orsino's nephew (or was is cousin?). One man's sea-hero is another's corsair. [Smile]
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
You all must learn to sing "Barrett's Privateer" for the occassion.

For starters, Here is the chorus

quote:
God d***n them all!
I was told we'd cruise the seas for American gold
We'd fire no guns-shed no tears
Now I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier
The last of Barrett's Privateers.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turgan
Member # 6697

Yeah, Carrie. It's in the movie, though it's probably not worded exactly like that. I haven't seen it in at LEAST three hours. gimme a break. geeze.
lol.

Carrie
Member # 394

That turn of phrase comes up twice that I can remember in the movie. What am I forgetting?

One:

Jack Sparrow: Everyone stay calm, we are taking over the ship.
Will Turner: AYE! AVAST!
Crew: <laughs>
Gillette: This ship cannot be crewed by two men. You'll never make it out of the bay.
Jack: Son, you're forgetting one thing. <cocks gun> I'm Captain Jack Sparrow, savvy?

Two:

Barbossa: How the blazes did you get off that island?
Jack Sparrow: When you marooned me on that godforsaken spit of land, you forgot one very important thing, mate. I'm Captain Jack Sparrow.
Barbossa: Well, I won't be makin' that mistake again.

Turgan
Member # 6697

The fact that i watch that movie just about 7 times a day EVERY day... and i don't know the names or the conversations by heart and yet.. YOU do... scares me.
I'm talking about the second one. I just didn't remember how the conversation went. I thought it was with the officers. Oh well. What's done is done is done.
Nevertheless.
17 days.

MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
The original speech is from when he has just saved Elizabeth and Lorrington (Lawrington?) decides to arrest him for piracy. That was his response.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Sorry. I just remember movies well. And I watched it last night.

It's Norrington [Smile]

Turgan
Member # 6697

AVAST ME HARTIES!
16 DAYS TILL THE CELEBRATION OF PIRATE SPEAKNESS AND THE LIKE!

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Carrie, I just watched it last night too!

Savvy?

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Question of the Day: How do YOU celebrate Talk Like A Pirate Day?

For our family, it is a time of sharing and fellowship. We get out the old treasure chest and count through our pieces of eight. We drink Rum (my 5 year old only sips from her bottle o' rum) and if time permits, o'ertake the neighbor's house and raise the Jolly Roger over their home, declaring to all the world we are not to be messed with.

Or, more realistically I will probably just wear my pirate hook on one hand at work during the day and throw an "arrr" into conversation and opportune moments.

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
I dress up like a pirate and hand out papers with pirate lingo. Its fun.
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

I... read Hatrack, which is the only place I get any recognition for the event!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turgan
Member # 6697

ARR!
Raia
Member # 4700

See?
Carrie
Member # 394

Last year I kind of dressed up (I half-heartedly tried for the disgusting hair/bandanna thing Jack Sparrow had going - but who really wants their hair to look like that?). I also (hehe) brought rum and coke to all my classes. Not even kidding. I had four classes that day - Greek, Astronomy lecture, Civilization of Ancient Egypt, and Italian - so between classes I'd run back to my room and refill. Class started at 9:55am. I was feeling the effects, shall I say, by 10:30am. It was a very good TLAP day.

This year, I think I'll take the suggestion on the website and celebrate TLAP Weekend, even though the university's putting on a Troy symposion. Hmm... no, bringing rum and coke to lectures would be massively disrespectful. Oh well.

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
What the devil? I've never heard of this. Actually, I'm not interested in talking like a pirate so much as I am interested in the fact that apparently anyone can just make up a holiday and get people all over the world to celebrate it.

With that in mind, I hope you're all ready, because Send Verily Money Day is just around the corner. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't forget the dread pirate Roberts (in this scene he is "Man in Black":

====
[Fencing]
Inigo Montoya : You are wonderful.
Man in Black : Thank you; I've worked hard to become so.
Inigo Montoya : I admit it, you are better than I am.
Man in Black : Then why are you smiling?
Inigo Montoya : Because I know something you don't know.
Man in Black : And what is that?
Inigo Montoya : I... am not left-handed.
[Moves his sword to his right hand and gains an advantage]
Man in Black : You are amazing.
Inigo Montoya : I ought to be, after 20 years.
Man in Black : Oh, there's something I ought to tell you.
Inigo Montoya : Tell me.
Man in Black : I'm not left-handed either.
[Moves his sword to his right hand and regains his advantage]

--
and

Buttercup : You're the Dread Pirate Roberts, admit it.
Westley : With pride. What can I do for you?
Buttercup : You can die slowly, cut into a thousand pieces.
Westley : Tsk, tsk. That's hardly complementary Highness. Why loose your venom on me?
Buttercup : You killed my love.
Westley : It's possible. I kill a lot of people

[ September 02, 2004, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Lupus ]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turgan
Member # 6697

OH MAN!
THE PRINCESS BRIDE WAS THE GREATEST!
And:
YARRRR!
15 DAYS, YA SCALLYWAGS!!!

You know... I have trouble believing that a muderous pirate actually said the word "Scallywag(s)"

[ September 03, 2004, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Turgan ]

Raia
Member # 4700

Westley: This is not as easy as it looks, so if you wouldn't mind waiting...
Inigo: I hate waiting.

--

Inigo: I give you my word as a Spaniard!
Westley: No good, I've known too many Spaniards.

--

Inigo: Do you happen to have six fingers on your right hand?
Westley: Do you always begin conversations this way?

Turgan
Member # 6697

11 DAYS, MATEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BOW TO THE PIRATE!
[Hail]

Turgan
Member # 6697

Hallo. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed My father. Prepare to die.

QUIT SAYING THAT!!!

INCONCIEVABLE!

You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Carrie
Member # 394

Anybody want a peanut?
Turgan
Member # 6697

10 DAYS!!!!!
*pulls out the rum and parrot*

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my. How did Billtmas and Talk like a pirate day end up on the same day?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turgan
Member # 6697

*pauses and stares*
Billtmas?
What the crap ios Billtmas?
[Confused]

Turgan
Member # 6697

8 DAYYYYYS!!!!!!!!!!
Token Ethnic Pirate #6
Member # 6838

- posted      Profile for Token Ethnic Pirate #6           Edit/Delete Post 
Arrrrr, my brotha.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turgan
Member # 6697

PIRATES DON'T SAY BROTHA! [Mad]
Token Ethnic Pirate #6
Member # 6838

- posted      Profile for Token Ethnic Pirate #6           Edit/Delete Post 
Sure sure, my homie.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Columbia, SC, there is gonna be a Pirate Fest concert at one of the local clubs. Lots of bands, all dressed as pirates for no reason!

Woohoo!

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't you all glad that you know a pirate?
Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.