FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kerry, economic girlie man (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Kerry, economic girlie man
Khal Drogo
Member # 6786

- posted      Profile for Khal Drogo   Email Khal Drogo         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else hear Arnold say that? I nearly blew up lauging, I loved it! Anyone?
Posts: 148 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciated the fact that Gov. Schwarzenegger seemed to be ecstatic and honored to be there in the first place -- it was kind of infectious (in a good way). However, it was pretty much a sure thing that his speech would be as riddled with requisite sound bites as his movies always seem to be. I was unsurprised, and had maybe hoped for something a little fresher.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come on, that was exactly what he needed to say. Things like "economic girlie-man" and "Arnold I'll be back." The former was absolutely hysterical and the latter brought a smile to my face.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know - I just hate the name-calling. I'm glad I missed it, actually.

"Arnold I'll be back" is pretty funny though.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you hear him use the same phrase a short time ago in Sacramento? Maybe it would have been more humorous to me if it didn't seem like he relied on such things. I'd just been discussing Step Fletcher's "funny-once lecture" with someone via e-mail, so perhaps I was more aware of it being a repeat. Khal, are you from California? And nfl, you're Florida, right? I wonder if that makes a difference....

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm a Floridian. I just thought the line was funny and it was Arnold's job to give an entertaining endorsement of Bush not to argue the issues. I think the issues should be addressed in the convention, I just think that job goes to a different speaker.

Dagonee, it wasn't name calling, it was really just a joke.

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Maybe it was, but at this point he seems to be rubbing it in. He knows the word offends some people, and it's not like it's there's any reason to use other than comedy or to be insulting.

Maybe I'm oversensitive today.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

It was used entirely as comedy. I don't think anybody (who thinks) took that as an argument as to why John Kerry shouldn't be elected. It was like a movie line so it shouldn't offend any reasonable person and the result was that he was poking as much fun at himself for saying it as he was at Kerry. I think you are oversensitive today. [Razz]
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
It was hilarious but it annoyed the crap out of me. I'm not sure what I expected from a superstar-turned-politician, though.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

If he came to the Republican Convention and just talked serious issues he would have been wasted. He did a great job of seriously endorsing Bush while lightening and uplifting the mood. Its too bad he was born in Austria because otherwise we could have seen whether or not he had what it takes to become a real leader. He's not now in my Floridian opinion, but he might be in the future.
Khal Drogo
Member # 6786

- posted      Profile for Khal Drogo   Email Khal Drogo         Edit/Delete Post 
No Papa Mooose, I'm an Indiana boy.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Dagonee's being oversensitive. Even if it is a joke, it's still not nice. I don't think that just because an insult is veiled as a joke it makes it okay. *shrug* Or maybe that's just me.

It really makes me sad that the governor of California is using the phrase "girly man" in a speech. I feel like it lowers the bar in political discussions even more.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just waiting for the amendment, I would laugh my arse off to see Ahnuld ru for pres.... I'd vote for him of ocurse, but I'd still laugh my arse off.
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snowden
Member # 1660

- posted      Profile for Snowden           Edit/Delete Post 
He is the governor of California. If he is a real leader, I imagine that's an adequate platform from which to show it. I didn't think that real leaders needed the 101st to get other people to follow.

[ September 01, 2004, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: Snowden ]

Posts: 611 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
My house is filled with feminists, and they did not take the phrase "economic girly men" well. First, he calls them "girly" as an insult, then assumes they're men. The people who didn't think the phrase was insensitive probably aren't sensitive to the feminist agenda in general, or think the feminist agenda is bogus. I think most feminists just take it for granted that the Republican party is by nature filled with mostly conservative Christian, antifeminist, non-environmental members.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Or some people think that being PC is a complete waste of time.
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snowden
Member # 1660

I don't mind PC. It's better than people calling me a nigger.

[ September 01, 2004, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Snowden ]

Posts: 611 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
The phrase "being PC" means something completely different if you're in the disenfranchised group that gets hurt by not being PC. It is correct to not be PC when it reflects reality, like when we say that not everyone has equal opportunity to succeed, in contrast to what Gov. Schwarzenegger's speech suggested.

When you're saying "economic girly men", the lack of PC is just reflecting your bias towards women (which might also be reflected in his groping, "playful" past) not how "manly" the aforementioned people ("men") are.

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Is everybody here just too young to remember the old Mike Myers and Dana Carvy SNL days?

The "girlie man" phrase was coined by Dana Carvy and Kevin Neilan to make fun of Arnold. If anything, using the phrase is a form of self-depricating humor, not any type of subliminal shot at anybody on Arnold's part. He's sort of embraced the parody/tribute the SNL guys did, and ran with it.

There's really nothing more to it than that.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snowden
Member # 1660

It's one thing when you are the subject of a parody, it's another thing when you prove that caricature true.

[ September 01, 2004, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Snowden ]

prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Cmon, At least get the SNL cast members right. It was kevin nealon and dana carvey. Mike meyers wasn't in it.

::sigh::

--ApostleRadio
--Resident SNL history police force

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

When you think about it, couldn't everyone offended by the comment be categorized as "girly men" themselves?

[Razz] [Wink]

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Mike Meyers was great in that "Pat" sketch. I had no idea if he was a woman or not! So funny! It was like chicken and pillows! Always funny.

[ September 01, 2004, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: Primal Curve ]

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

I didn't remember its origination but I did easily realize he was poking fun at himself.

Also as far as Arnold proving that he is a real leader, winning governor is easy if you're a celebrity. Look at Jesse Ventura and Ronald Reagan. In order to make a run at the presidency Arnold would have to truly prove himself to his party and the nation. Right now he can just sit tight and be funny.

Snowden
Member # 1660

Winning the election isn't the test of leadership, it's what you do when you get there that makes you a leader.

"The Captain of the boat should worry about the wind and the water, not how to get to the helm."

[ September 01, 2004, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Snowden ]

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

That's actually what I'm saying. Winning governor doesn't mean anything. It would be his record as governor that would win him the presidency. Whether or not you agree with George Bush's presidential policies, he did have a stellar record as governor of Texas.
prolixshore
Member # 4496

Glynn, I don't know if you are just messin with me or not, but Pat was also not played by mike meyers. That was Julia Sweeney.

--ApostleRadio
--SNL history patrol

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
<adjusts AR's sarcasmometer>
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
What I can't figure out is what kind of person thinks a standing governor's quoting of a satire directed at him in order to belittle the opponent of his party is FUNNY, in a ha-ha kind of way. *shudder*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
nfl...
Not according to a book I read.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Tom, did you hear it?

Great a book, not enough of those telling me who I should vote for. You win. [Roll Eyes]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I heard it. Frankly, I found it kind of tacky. If Al Franken runs for Senate and uses "I'm good enough....I'm smart enough...to be Senator," I'll STILL find it tacky -- and that's a much better line.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Whether or not you agree with George Bush's presidential policies, he did have a stellar record as governor of Texas.
You're kidding, right?

Texas has the single weakest excutive branch of all 50 States.

And his record wasn't all that good, compared to the rest of the nation....we were in a boom period, remember....when most jobs paid over $8 an hour?

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
giving tax cuts to billionaires in the current state of life is satanic
Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
go ahead, line up, defend dick and george's 10 year economic plan.
Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

What, and interrupt your wonderful rambling?
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Given the numerous conservative think tanks that have roasted Bush's economic plan, the question is not whether its bad, but whether or not what kerry, in combination with a conservative congress, will do is worse.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

Remember.

When Bush first took office, he laid down a "come hell, war or high water" 10 year tax plan.

Tax cuts for 10 years NO MATTER WHAT.

War. Deficit. Terrorism. Recession. Depression. Inflation.

Doesn't matter the tax cuts stand.

fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Fugu, I am of the mindset that having Congress and The President in OPPOSITE political parties can only help this country. We had that most of the 90's and it was the most prosperous decade in quite some time. Washington Gridlock is absolutely the best thing for this country. It is clear that a smooth, uninterrupted path between presidential ideas and passage as law is a bad thing for this country. We have less jobs than we did 4 years ago, have no surplus and worse, have a debt and deficit spending model that my grandchildren will be paying for if it goes unchecked. Reagan would have been proud.

This is reason alone to vote Kerry...or for a democratic Congress.

Gridlock for 04!

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, that's awesome. [Laugh]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In order to make a run at the presidency Arnold would have to truly prove himself to his party and the nation.
And get the Constitution ammended, no?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Yeah, there is that.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

But he DID prove himself to the nation! He defeated terrorists, aliens, Commies, more aliens, saved Mars, and so on. Sure, he is complicit with the destruction of humanity in the near future, but we can't hold him accountable for future actions of his robotic form.

Wait, we can't use his movies in talking about his accomplishments for the US? Huh? He surely does. [Big Grin]

It will never happen, but if the Amendment that gives him access to the oval office is ever proposed (seriously) then it is official: My family and I will become Canadian (if they don't shut the borders off from our huge migration). We will officially have gone off our rocker. His quoting of old movie tag lines was cute when he was running for a partial term as governor. As a presidential candidate (and one on the big stage at the Convention) it is quite silly and tiresome.

eeesh.

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
While I have no interest of seeing Arnold as the POTUS, I don't see the requirement of the president being born in the US as unquestionably justified or necessary.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

What restrictions do you see as justifiable? The 35 year old age limit? Would you accept ANY residency requirement?

fil

Raia
Member # 4700

I like how I don't fit any one of the three requirements to being president.

*sigh* Not this time, I guess! [Wink]

Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What restrictions do you see as justifiable? The 35 year old age limit? Would you accept ANY residency requirement?
In general, I think a good principle is that you should be eligible for election to any position for which you are allowed to vote. Given the importance of the office of the presidency, I'd be inclined to accept additional restrictions such as an higher age limit (35 years is an acceptable compromise) and a period of residency beyond what is required for citizenship. Neither of these requirements will forever deny a voter from acquiring eligibility for the office the way the requirement of being born in the US currently does.

[ September 02, 2004, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Tristan ]

Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

You know, maybe I should stay out of the political threads, especially when I'm posting like a maniac so I can post my landmark!
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It will never happen, but if the Amendment that gives him access to the oval office is ever proposed (seriously) then it is official: My family and I will become Canadian
Don't let the door hit you on the backside when you leave. [Razz]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

quote:
Don't let the door hit you on the backside when you leave.
Door? What door? I live on Lake Erie...we will be a part of the flotilla that will storm the northern shore! Arrrr! (okay, mixing the "Talk Like A Pirate Thread" a bit).

fil

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.