FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bagged Milk? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bagged Milk?
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
On another forum, the subject of bagged milk came up. Most of us had never heard of buying milk in bags, but I think we determined that it was probably a Canadian thing.

But, then again, that forum's not as culturally diverse as Hatrack. So, I'm curious: has anybody here seen or used bagged milk? And, if so, how did it compare jugs and cartons?

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
It's very common in Israel too.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
In Brazil, you mostly buy it in bags, but you can buy more expensive milk in boxes.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually use bagged milk... I'm Canadian. (only time I don't is if I'm buying milk for my lunch in the little 250mL containers)

I find it doesn't tastes plastic-y like milk that comes in jugs. I prefer bags by far.

*But then again, if you've only had milk in jugs your life, you probably don't know what I mean by "plastic" tasting...

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Christy and I buy all our milk in bags. It's common in southern Wisconsin, but I haven't seen it anywhere else in the U.S. yet.

[ September 02, 2004, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I assume when you guys say bags, you mean something more like sturdy, stiff pouches rather than the kind of bags that when you set the bag with the milk down on a flat surface, it balloons out flat?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Someone post a link to some of this bagged milk.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Exactly.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Food Services at Brown uses bagged milk. Really large bulk milk.

But in the grocery stores, you can buy milk in plastic cartons, glass jugs (like at WholeFoods), and paper-based cartons. Haven't seen bags, though. I'm in New England (RI), if that helps.

And in VA where I grew up, I remember seeing milk in plastic cartons for at least the vast majority.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Here, Storm.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard of such a thing. Can anyone show us an image of one of these bags? The very concept of selling liquid in bags made my eyebrow rise.

Edit: Never mind, someone did while I was typing that.

[ September 02, 2004, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: Verily the Younger ]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

When you get these milk bags, you transfer them into some sort of container for personal use?
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Beat you, Verily! [Taunt]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
In this area, you can buy milk and orange juice in half-gallon plastic bags; the store gives away small pitchers into which the bags can be set and from which the liquid can be dispensed. The bag itself is not sturdy, and needs to be emptied into something else or set upright in a pitcher to be stored after opening.

In general, we've found that milk in a bag is cheaper (and considerably more environmental) -- and, inexplicably, tastes better than milk from a plastic jug.

[ September 02, 2004, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a step by step of how to use milk in a bag with some other links at the bottom. The Canadian Milk Bag
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Our local grocery store doesn't sell it, but I have seen bagged milk in other areas around southern Wisconsin.

In grade school our hot lunches came with little bags of milk. This resulted in many squirting-milk fights...

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. It seems impractical. I can't imagine what advantage there could be of buying milk this way instead of from a plastic jug or cardboard carton. Those stand up on their own and don't require additional implements to keep the milk from getting everywhere.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

Is it reasonable to suggest that the milk tastes better from the plastic bags because it's local/fresher?
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

Verily, the people on the other forum said it was cheaper.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"Hm. It seems impractical. I can't imagine what advantage there could be of buying milk this way instead of from a plastic jug or cardboard carton."

Disposal is much easier; there's considerably less waste. They're easier to transport and store, as well, from a business perspective, and cost less per gallon than milk in jugs or cartons. Provided you have a free pitcher, too, they're not any less convenient -- unless, of course, you have a complete idiot pouring your milk.

dabbler
Member # 6443

does anyone know if there is a movement to only drink milk from "Good" dairy farms? Treats their cows all nice, and that jazz?
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen it. It looks far too weird to me.

Then again, I am the person who was upset when the university switched from cartons to plastic containers for milk, causing a near double in price. Jerks!

Milk in general is expensive for me. When I'm not home with my immediate family (mom, dad, sister), they'll go through maybe two gallons of milk a week. When I'm home, we go through two gallons of milk every three days.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

quote:
Disposal is much easier; there's considerably less waste. They're easier to transport and store, as well, from a business perspective, and cost less per gallon than milk in jugs or cartons. Provided you have a free pitcher, too, they're not any less convenient -- unless, of course, you have a complete idiot pouring your milk.
What if I want to use my pitcher for Kool-Aid? So that's less convenient right there. With plastic jugs, I can have milk and Kool-Aid in my fridge at the same time. [Razz]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I've only seen milk in bags in a commercial setting -- they sell bags of milk that go into dispensers, for places like cafeterias...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Verily, you don't need to pour the milk into the pitcher... you stick the whole bag in.

You can always take the bag out if you want to make KoolAid!

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

Or you could always, you know, buy two pitchers. [Razz]

[ September 02, 2004, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Raia
Member # 4700

What a revolutionary idea!
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

quote:
Verily, you don't need to pour the milk into the pitcher... you stick the whole bag in.

You can always take the bag out if you want to make KoolAid!

And do what with it? Hold it until I run out of Kool-Aid? Hang it from a hook? Pour it into a mixing bowl and put little toy boats in it? [Razz]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I can only assume that Verily has no more than three forks at his disposal, and tells his friends they can only come over for dinner in groups of two. [Smile]
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa!!! I thought milk came in bags. Milk comes in cartons and plastic containers???
So how do they get it from the cartons into the milkbags?

[ September 02, 2004, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Hey, if I'm taking the trouble to make dinner for my friends, the least they can do is bring their own darn forks!
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

No, I think you should be curteous enough to make finger food. [Wink]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
the only milk in bags I have seen was the school lunch line milk (and juice) in the little pouches that you stick the straw into. They switched to that because it caused less waste. We had lots of fun playing with the bags, straws, and reading the quotes on the bag (that were the same from first grade till senior year, but still funny.) Oh the creative things kids and teenagers come up with
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. I thought this thread was about expressed milk and disposable bottle liners.

Never Mind.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
The only time milk in bags is a pain is when you don't drink very much milk and by the time you got to the bottom the milk is bad.

This can be solved by buying milk in cartons.

Milk in bags is not nearly as complicated or as strange as you would think. I grew up with milk in glass bottles, delivered each day by the milkman, so you can imagine how different bags were when I first encountered them.

They're just as good.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
The milk in the kids' school cafeteria comes in bags. The environmental aspect of it sounds great. I wonder why this hasn't caught on outside of Wisconsin for regular use in the home.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom used to freeze milk in bags when we were travelling when we were little...

it would keep the cooler cold and not take up extra space *shrugs*

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Milk bags are awesome. I freely admit that I hate cartons and jugs. They're cumbersome and inconvenient. And the bags are also re-useable, perfect for freezing meat in smaller portions than they're sold. (Canadian, by the way. [Smile] )
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom use to buy milk in a bag when we were younger, in MI. It does taste a lot better, and with a family of 4 milk drinkers it never went bad... [Big Grin]

It is a lot cheaper, and waste disposal is a lot easier. Also, the price is considerably less, which matters when raising a family on one salary.

The pitcher was free, so you could keep your pitcher for kool aid and still have one for milk!

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
when I was in middle school and high school the juice in the lunch rooms came in bags, they thought about putting milk in bags, but they never did
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow I wish they would get that here. Of course once my friend's cow has her calf and is ready to give milk away I'll get fresh milk and keep in in my glass pitcher. Yum....
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved those little milk bags from the cafeteria! So much fun to play with! You can finish off the milk, then blow it up and try to stick the straw through both sides, so it would stay full, or make volcanos when its full...cartons are just boring.
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember thinking how weird they were the first time -- after I was old enough to notice -- that we visited Israel. At this point, I just associate them with Israel -- I didn't know you could get them anywhere else.

The milk in the bags in unquestionably fresher, and tastes great. (No plasticizer (from plastic jugs) or wax (from cartons!) residue.) And storing a bunch of malleable bags is WAY easier than trying to cram a couple gallons of milk into the fridge.

I wish they sold 'em here.

[ September 02, 2004, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

They might...my mom got them at a local grocery store, but she had to really look for them. Try asking around, there might be a local store that offers them....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
*scratches head*

You'd think there'd be more plasticizer in bags. A plasticizer makes plastic squooshier. Unless you have sqooshie jugs, rivka.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
If it takes lots of extra work/time/money to get 'em, it defeats the purpose, though.

Anyway, California laws about milk are weird; I bet we don't have any bagged milk here.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...milk in bags=good. Sauerkraut in bags=somebody stab that person in the eye.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I have *never* heard of bagged milk. Am I the only one who thought of the origins of milk upon reading the thread title? (Mammary glands)
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

'Pardon me, can I see your milk jugs? I mean, bags. I mean...oh, never mind. I'll find it myself.'
Kwea
Member # 2199

Actually, necause of the savings, it might be worth it....the milk I remember was better tasting, and cost about 25-30% LESS than milk jugs....the plastic ones, I mean... [Big Grin]

Kwea

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.