FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I Blame KamaCon!

Author Topic: I Blame KamaCon!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Total order, including s&h, from online game-seller: over $100. [Eek!]

Being able to play all those games again (assuming I find someone to play them with!): priceless. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Which games did you order, rivka?

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean, I bought Chez Geek the second I got the chance after playing it at Kamacon. Also, miniatures. DAMN YOU TOMDAVIDSON!!!

[ September 07, 2004, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Hahaha!

*sigh*

Hi, my name is Josh, I gave in too. I bought Apples to Apples Party Box and Chez Geek. Munchkin is on my list to buy also.

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
When did TomDavidson get an underscore?

Also, what was that time paradox game you guys were playing?

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Underscore? What are you talking about T_Smith, you silly silly boy. (laughs) Ha... Ha ha.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I got Apples to Apples Junior 9+ (heh, my daughter played this today! Which is actually what reminded me to place my order), and the A2A make-your-own-cards expansion; Fluxx and the make-your-own-cards expansion; Chrononauts and one of its expansions; Cranium; and Nanofictionary (from the people who brought us Fluxx and Chrononauts) and its make-your-own-cards expansion.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Yaay!

Your secret mission is to expand this newfound knowledge, converting many in your path until we rule the world!!! *evil chuckle*

Geez, how much cold medicine did I take this morning?

Seriously, I'm glad to see so many people buying board games. Now just to find other people to play them with.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I was trying to explain Apples to Apples to my wife. They are board game people (I'm not really) and I think she and her family would enjoy it, especially with the write in cards.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandmother has a "Board Game Party" every year that she invites her friends to. It's actually a birthday party for her friend, Bev, but Bev doesn't like attention so no one is allowed to know it's her birthday. Everyone thinks it's just an annual get-together.

Anyway, they just had one, and this year they played a new game: Apples 2 Apples. Bev brought it over and everyone got hooked. My grandmother said to her, "I really like this game. Where did you get it?"

Bev told her, "You got it for me."

After G'ma told me this this story I mentioned that everyone had played A2A at Kamacon, and I asked her what it was about, since I was so interested.

She said, "Well, everyone has cards, and the cards have something on them. I can't really remember."

This is the woman that left her car on [edit: and unlocked] while we were in Burger King the last time we went to the base. That's pretty forgetful.

Even more forgetful is the fact that she can't remember that she left the car running while we were in Burger King.

[ September 07, 2004, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Um, but none of them (oh, except Cranium) ARE board games! They're card games, aren't they?
Koga
Member # 5646

- posted      Profile for Koga   Email Koga         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't bought any games since going to Kamacon, though i was very tempted to, and will gladly play most of these games again if given the chance.

So hey, if I am ever in your neck of the woods rivka, you will have one more player at least (assumeing you would want me to play, i hate feeling like I'm inviteing myself, even for hypothetical events [Roll Eyes] ).

Posts: 733 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
The trouble with calling them "card games" is then uptight people think you are gambling. Though you are right that "board" doesn't cut it. "Guesstures", "Taboo" and "Scattergories" are party games. But since you kind of need a table (or a roving hostess) to play apples to apples... I dunno. How many people have you had playing it at once?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

*laugh* Sorry Rivka! Yes, I do put them in the same category. I think of card games as Rummy, poker, etc. Not sure why.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that is a huge problem. Obviously nobody wants uptight people to think they are gambling.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I think of Apples to Apples and similar games as card games, but I sat at a lunch table in high school that played poker with chips for money 4 days a week.

And no you don't need a table, last time I played Apples to Apples, we were lying on the floor in prom dresses.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

*laugh* Well, by that logic, you don't need a table for a board game either. We play most of our games on the floor. Its more comfy.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to refer to Fluxx, Chrononaunts, Grave Robbers, etc as "card based games." It distinguishes them (to me at least) from games played with a regular deck of cards.

For me it has nothing to do with gambling, though. It's just that "card games" means games you play with a standard deck of playing cards.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom's already got me infected with the Munchkin bug. There's a great gaming store pretty close to the apartment that carries just about everything - good thing, too, 'cause my buddies at my Labor Day weekend party *required* me to purchase at least one expansion for Munchkin.

Now I just have to get Guillotine, Chez Geek and Apples 2 Apples. And many others...

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IvyGirl
Member # 6252

- posted      Profile for IvyGirl   Email IvyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
FG and I are STILL trying to get Apples to Apples. Keeping forgetting to look for it. Where did you guys get it? Our household would probably enjoy it a lot.

Ivygirl

Posts: 156 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ivygirl, I ordered it from one of several online retailers. (You can also order it from Out of the Box directly, but it seems to run a few bucks cheaper from the retailers.)

Interesting that the phrase "card games" means so many different things to different people! So, would y'all call something like Uno -- derived from a game that can be played with a regular deck of cards (Crazy Eights) but requiring special cards -- a card game? How about Go Fish?

*notices dkw mention something called "Grave Robbers"*

*eyes bill from games just ordered*

*doesn't ask*

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh, Grave Robbers is fun.

I was gonna say that I thought of card games as games played with a standard deck, but dkw already did. I wonder why we look at it the same...

[Wink]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like those blank card expansions, especially the Hatrack versions in that friendly game of Apples 2 Apples.

Too much fun!

rivka -- I'd play card-based card games with you any time.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IvyGirl
Member # 6252

- posted      Profile for IvyGirl   Email IvyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka-

Thanks! [Smile]

Ivygirl

Posts: 156 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Ivygirl -- have you tried the Google ads at the bottom of the page? [Big Grin]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*twinkle* Really, Bob, anytime? Ok, how does this Sunday work for you? Here in SoCal ok?

IvyGirl, you're welcome! [Smile]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka,

dkw says my major "fiance points" losses are in the scoring for "distance."

I guess I'm just not conveniently located for card games this Sunday either. However, I'll be at a meeting with about 20 or so people in New Orleans. If you'd care to attend (and bring your new decks) we could certainly find a big enough crowd to join us in at least one game!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*drawls* Naw'lins, hmm? Tempting, but there are two potential challenges.

One, the cards haven't shipped yet -- they're holding my order till the Fluxx Blanx are back in stock.

Two, I'm really behind on my grading, and need to get caught up this weekend. Jaunts to New Orleans simply don't fit into that schedule.

Another time, perhaps. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

OOOOOOOOOOOH!

*dances* It shipped! *checks tracking number again* [Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

THEY CAME THEY CAME THEY CAME!

*dances* And the kids (well, more the two older ones) and I (plus one more adult) had a great time playing Apples to Apples tonight. [Big Grin]

Christy
Member # 4397

ya know, we had to go out and buy Apples to Apples, too. It was on sale and we couldn't resist.
the master
Member # 6788

- posted      Profile for the master   Email the master         Edit/Delete Post 
did tom manage to find the expansion with the KoL card in it?

*snickers*

Posts: 157 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
On Tom's recommendation, I bought Carcassone.

I curse his name every time my wife obliterates me.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I brought Chrononauts with me to Israel, and played game after game with my sister. My cousins (who are not native English speakers) took turns watching; my aunt came in long enough to see what the fuss was about and was amused; and I saved Hitler 6 times but sabotaged the Manhattan Project (sorry, Grandpa) 3 times.

That was last weekend. This weekend, back at the ranch [Wink] , I played many games of Chrononauts with my SIL. When I got tired of that, we played Fluxx with my son and older daughter. Then Apples to Apples.

[Big Grin]

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife had a friend of hers infect her with the Munchkins disease, and she is activly trying to spread it to me now....

I think I feel it coming on right now....

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

We played Fluxx tonght at church Family Game Night. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

*wonders what interesting Fluxx Blanx might have been added*

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.