FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I didn't wash out the conditioner: Dumb things books made you do (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I didn't wash out the conditioner: Dumb things books made you do
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Harry Potter books have caused me to openly ridicule otherwise nice people who think HP is a Satanic Plot.
...and??? [Wink]

[ September 10, 2004, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Not really - one of my worst nights ever was working an 8 hour stocking gig at Kroger.

Which isn't bad in and of itself, but the radio was broken, so there was nothing to interrupt the silence punctuated by the clink of cans and jars hitting the shelf.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Point taken, sarcasticmuppet. However, entering into that sort of discussion with a person like that is sort of dumb, in that it's pointless and mildly cruel. Sometimes it's fun to make somebody feel like an idiot, but it's usually not fun to feel like one yourself.

I have enough empathy to suffer from Intellectual Elitist's Remorse. [Big Grin]

[ September 10, 2004, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: Olivetta ]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
even though the thread has strayed from where this post would most make sense:

I've boiled a pair of hot dogs for 3-4 hours because of a good book.. most the water had evaporated or absorbed into the then extremely waterlogged franks.

I know someone [Razz] who litterally throw books when the book makes her think to hard, or ties in with other things she's read, or just plain frustrates her. She's violent.

Crazy as always,
Psychotriad

Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand* I am also a book thrower. I threw one book clear across the room.

I also cry at the end of books. Its silly, but I do.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew a girl who'd read stupid romance novels and then throw them across the room when they got dumb.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Christy, I don't usually cry, but I get sort of an...I don't know, an empty feeling when I come to the end of a good, long book. I don't want the story to end.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat,
Lately, when I am reading before bed, I have been falling asleep with the book still held up in the air. I think to myself, as I jolt awake from the book falling on me, "I must look pretty darned dumb for a book reader."

PS I have done the conditioner thing too. "Why is my hair not drying?" I ask myself in the bathroom at school. I am sure the children I teach have wondered if I took a bath that week.

[ September 11, 2004, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

I am also a book thrower, though I usually pick them back up. Not always, but usually.

One of my college roommates decided I was crazy when she heard me laughing at something I was reading. Not because I had laughed at a joke, but because I was laughing at a joke in <I>Shakespeare</I>.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I fall asleep listening to audiobooks all the time... but that's the idea, they distract me from thinking about my day, and I get to sleep much faster.

Now, if I were to fall asleep while listening to audiobooks while I work, THAT would be a bad thing...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Christy, only at the end of books? I have been known to sob so hard while reading a book that I can't keep reading.

And I throw books too, although not often.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

The hardest I have cried over a book since Old Yeller when I was nine was "Gates of Fire," by Steven Pressfield, about the Battle at Thermopylae. I had to go out in the yard and hide so I could finish it, and I couldn't stop crying. Another book I sobbed over for about three days was "My Sweet-Orange Tree," which is an out-of -print story about a little Brazilian boy.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Elfquest kept making me cry.
It was driving me crazy. Wendy Pini is the best when it comes to expressive character expressions. I couldn't really help it.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say it - the first time I read Little Women, I bawled for days when Beth died.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka -- No, not just at the end of books, and often serious bawling pre-empts the book throwing, such as Wizard and Glass and Corelli's Mandolin. Generally, I do keep reading, though, just with a hanky nearby (or Tom *grin*)
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Just for the record, I have TRIED to explain to her the difference between a husband and a hanky, and have repeatedly pointed out that the presence of one does not necessarily preclude the need for another. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Not necessarily, but wiping your nose on both would be a little redundant.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose that depends on just how hard you were crying.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Hmm. At least I know where the expression "hanky panky" came from, now. I never realized the connection before.
Olivetta
Member # 6456

I remember being very near the end of A Tale of Two Cities when I was at a friend's house after school. I think my mother was there also, having some sort of meeting with my friend's mother. My friend was doing her homework, and I was reading.

Anyway, I started to get emotional and realized the last 50 pages were just going to have to wait until I was alone.

Nothing like blubbering over a book to ruin any street cred I may have ever had in Christian School. [Smile]

Actually, I think I probably lost that when the principal took a picture of me reading Ivanhoe at the Fall Festival. But who could blame me? There was this really dumb/high guy trying to come on to me when I went outside, and none of the duck pond prizes could hold a candle to Knights and, you know, Robin Hood.

I should put THAT down so I could drink Orange Drink and make myself ill on cotton candy? Please. [Roll Eyes]

[ September 12, 2004, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: Olivetta ]

Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't actually read while driving....exactly. I do read at stoplights, and have occasionally been honked at if I got too distracted.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.