FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » ...because we don't use enough gasoline as it is

Author Topic: ...because we don't use enough gasoline as it is
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, the hummer isn't good enough. We need to own ridiculously huge trucks of our own!

[Roll Eyes]

If my noisy diesel neighbors get one of these, I don't hink I'll be able to handle it.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
That is wrong, wrong, wrong. Thoes monsters are also pretty scary to compact drivers like me.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, someone needs to tell them 'bout overkill.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing stuff like this makes me think that I just might possibly agree to a large gasoline tax like they do in Europe.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Or how about public transportation like they do in Europe?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
That's crazy...
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy with the 32 miles per gallon my sedan gets.

And that it only takes $20 to fill up the tank.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The International CXT is a truck for businesses that want to promote themselves as much as perform," said Rob Swim, a spokesman for International Truck and Engine Corporation. "If you brought this truck to the playground, you'd be king of the dirt pile."
*hides face in hands

I can see getting a big truck if you need it to haul stuff, like if you work on a farm. But this doesn't seem to be marked as a work truck at all.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
So, does anyone here have the $95,000 to $100,000 it's going to take to buy one? I'll just write a check. Of course if you're like me a check that big would bounce higher than the Space Shuttle ever dreamed of flying. [Wink]

To the bozo(s) who came up with this idea, I say [Razz] [Razz] .

edited for spelling.

[ September 14, 2004, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Derrell ]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I like how they call it the "International." Because, yeah, so many other countries are into this...
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like this is being marketed to people who will actually use the hauling capacity - adding comfort to utility, not useless utility to comfort.

Anyone who buys one of these and isn't regularly hauling 6 tons of stuff around is crazy.

(But owning a dump truck would be cool.)

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyruseh
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for cyruseh   Email cyruseh         Edit/Delete Post 
I would hope that you're required to get those one certifications to drive these vehicles. I think they're called CDL but not sure... you're average teenager or rap star should probably not be allowed on public roads in one of these things.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
"At General Motors, We're Committed To Ending The Nation's Gas Surplus.

Someday, maybe America won't suffer from a gas surplus.

And someday, maybe the ground won't be overrun with fossil fuels.

But here at General Motors, we're not just sitting around hoping for that day to come.

Introducing the 2005 GM Land Destroyer. At 18 feet and 7,900 pounds, it's GM's larget truck ever.

Take one test drive, and we think you'll agree--it's ****ing huge."

(With compliments to the Onion. [Wink] )

[ September 14, 2004, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The International CXT is a truck for businesses that want to promote themselves as much as perform," said Rob Swim, a spokesman for International Truck and Engine Corporation. "If you brought this truck to the playground, you'd be king of the dirt pile."
Hey, there are worse ways to compensate for... well you get where I'm going with this.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
For not feeling like you are enough of a man.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I'm much more impressed with the QHP* score than with truck size, regarding that aspect. [Big Grin]

*Quality of Hatrack Postage

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
From FARK: "If Hummer drivers are compensating, here's a truck for a man with an innie."

[ROFL]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a sprinkler repair service using a Hummer once. They were immediately taken off my list of possible businesses to use. If they can afford to drive around in a Hummer, they're charging too much.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I can't even begin to understand why this is deemed a good thing.

The critical analysis is relatively easy to do, but I mean c'mon...at what point does spending $100+ dollars to fill up your tank become a good idea?

Of course, I still fondly remember the early Toyota pickup trucks that didn't have fancy names and were wonderfully functional. Before trucks became fashion statements.

-Trevor

Edit: For structure

[ September 14, 2004, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
"So you get all the attributes of a commercial truck – but you don’t need a commercial driver’s license to drive it.*"

Now that is just plain scary! linky

[ September 14, 2004, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember those - the ones everyone scraped off the "TO" and "TA" from tailgate so it just said, "YO."

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
But America is all about big trucks! Or was that Texas?
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

It hurts me, bev. I feel a pain in the breast.

I have to go lie down.

*hand to forehead

(it's an attack of the vapours, oh no! [Wink] )

TMedina
Member # 6649

Yeah, yeah - we didn't feel the need to make observations about your hubby's lack of postings. [Big Grin]

Although this does open the door for the inevitable run of truck puns.

-Trevor

Annie
Member # 295

quote:
But America is all about big trucks! Or was that Texas?

Aren't they the same place? [Confused]
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

T: [ROFL]

He posts well and often, just elsewhere.

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

You know, it's not the size of the bed, it's how you use it.
TMedina
Member # 6649

Hah!

Couldn't wait to spring that one, eh? [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

I'm not geared up for this yet. I'm afraid I'll have to haul tail outta here.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I did a project in an anthropology class once where I tried to figure out what the heck is going on with nonsensical letter jumbles as vehicle names.

Also, I think it's rather a stretch to call this anyone's "brainchild".

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I remember those - the ones everyone scraped off the "TO" and "TA" from tailgate so it just said, "YO."
Heh. Driving down the 110 once, I saw a Mexican gardening pickup with the TOYOTA changed to ¡OYO!

It's my standing reason to ever want one.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Ahhh Sara, you all truckered out? [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.