FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Senior Pictures AAHHH!!

Author Topic: Senior Pictures AAHHH!!
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to take my senior pics this saturday!!
What should I wear?
How do I do my hair?
Should I go to the salon to have it done?
What style should I choose?
Someone help me!!!

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't sweat it.

Ten years from now, you'll look at your senior picture, and no matter what you're wearing or how much time you spent putting it on, you will think: Man, I was such a dork.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
assuming you are a girl because guys wouldn't contemplate going to a salon for pictures (I know a few who thought about not washing it after footbal practice).

I got to wear 3 different outfits, but have since decided none were formal enough. I wore a pair of grey pants with a pink t, jeans with a tank top and button up shirt, and jeans with a mandrian collared satin top (pink and green). My hair was down in most of them but up in a simple pony tail in a few. Depending on if you want a casual or formal picture, maybe a simple dress, hair not done professionally, just fun. The people I know that did have their hair done at a salon for pics looked like they were dolls or something, not like themselves at all.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I never got my senior pictures taken... I regret it now, though. [Frown]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
Advice: Wear a favorite blouse, or favorite color, cause they don't show more than head an shoulders.

Makeup--nothing too outlandish is advised. Though my outing makeup consisted of black lipstick and purple eyeshadow when I got mine done, I toned it down to more natural shades of pink lipstick and gunmetal gray eye makeup.

Hair: I don't know what your hair looks like, or how you wear it, but unless you want it permed or in a coif, or colored a certain way, don't waste your money on a hairdresser.

I'm lucky enough to have a mass of long blond hair, so I wore mine loose for both High School and College senior portraits. Funny, I had those done Sept 21, 1998, and Sept 26, 2003, respectively. All within a couple of days of my birthday (today, I'm 23). For HS I wore a black dress, College, a brown sweater.

I actually compared the two pictures, and aside from a slight darkening of my hair, an extra nosering, and a happier expression, I don't look much different.

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
cause they don't show more than head an shoulders.

I don't know where you got your professional senior pics taken, but that's not what they do around here. They do some close-ups and some full-body shots in different settings: like outdoors, indoor studio. My nephew had he senior portrait taken in full BMX gear with his bike for one of his poses -- it was great. Some get them taken with their car, or with their horse... etc.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to get mine done soon too and this is my plan.

One session with my double bass.

One session in something I would wear to school, but on the nice side.

One session with me in a nice skirt and blouse.

I will probably have my hair down for all three, and have simple make up. I figure this way I get a picture with something that defines my life(my bass), a picture with me as I usually am, and a picture of me looking pretty and classic.

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl,

I'm in New Jersey. All the senior pics I've ever seen around here were head-and-shoulders, I'm guessing to save space in yearbooks.

That's pretty cool, though, the full body shots. I would probably get soooo much more into it if it were like that here. Probably wear my new goth dress with roses and veils and the like, or something of that sort.

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, the one for the yearbook IS just head & shoulders.

But they usually do many other poses, for the parents and student to purchase..... You can easily drop $200 to $500 on senior photos alone.

Maybe it is different in your state -- but here for true Senior pics, you hire a professional outside photographer -- this isn't something in the school. There is nothing mandatory about having senior pics taken -- it is just "always done" like tradition -- like class rings, etc. and all those other high school traditions.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm not mistaken, my husband is in his cousin's senior picture with him. They had knocked down the big styrofoam "2003" in the picture and were pretending to bash it with plastic bats.

I assure you, no one can remember what they were wearing.

Come to think of it, Jes was in my senior picture too.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Just now I got letter in the mail urging me to place a senior ad in my son's yearbook. Parents do this to "show how proud they are of their child's achievement." I can purchase an eighth page to a half page. I dunno -- I honestly think my son would die of embarrassment if I did such a thing. (The letter does stress: please, no naked baby pictures.) But still, up to 10 pictures of the poor kid, along with 150 words written by his parents??? We're a very self-conscious lot in my family; most photos of us are blurry because we dash away from anything that looks like a camera.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't do it if your son would hate it. They *say* it's for your kids (even though we know they just want you to pay more) so if your kids don't want it, let's honor that.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Understand that the photo is optional (isn't it?) and it doesn't have to be 150 words! You could just take out an ad that simply says, "Way to go, John! We're Proud of You!" love, your mom & dad.

It is just to help support the yearbook costs, pretty much.

Farmgirl
(who used to work on yearbook in HS)

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Which is interesting considering how much they cost in the first place.
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I never got my senior picture taken, either. I didn't hear about the first round of photo shoots, and missed the makeup day because of a soccer game. I don't really care, but my mom wasn't too happy.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting my senior picture done tomorrow.

I'm thinking I'll just wake up early to shower, and then clip my hair up in a bun so that it will dry during the day, and then I can have some pictures with my hair swept up and then let it out and have it already be wavy without any fussing. Clothes and make-up I'm a little confused on. I'm not paying for extra pictures - just the standard yearbook fee. So... do I still get to dress up or do I just wear that silly wrap?.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WishfulWiggin
Member # 6823

- posted      Profile for WishfulWiggin   Email WishfulWiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Sharpie- I would get the ad. Two years ago, both my Brother and I were graduating, and she forgot to send in the ad. About 70% of the kid's parents do put an ad in the yearbook. I didn't mind too much about the whole thing, and neither did my brother, but my Mom felt bad.
Posts: 208 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my second graduating senior in a row, and I'd not seen this whole ad thing before. I think my oldest must have hidden the letter last year so that I wouldn't get any ideas.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Sharpie, at my school practically no one does the adds so it might not matter, I convinced my mom not to put a picture of me and her friend's son as babies, she said she would have if we were still friends.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.