FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Get rid of the troll. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Get rid of the troll.
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That is correct. Often when a thread gets too heated, I just back out of it. I enjoy discussion, but I don't enjoy arguing. Just because I don't respond to somebody doens't mean I don't have a response. It's not a competition to see who can win.
I'd like to say "ditto" to that. [Smile]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
anatomically impossible things
Nothing is anatomically impossible if you happen to be a tree.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's much more effective than the "you're an a$$" type responses I have been given.

Just for clarification purposes flamboyant and n00b do not equal big ass in my book.

I'm trying to avoid [Smile] 's . If I had not been avoiding [Smile] 's I would have added a [Smile] to my post.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I liked your post. There's a tone that says I am joking/making light. And there's a tone that says I hate/dislike you as a person and am posting my opinion of you.

Now I am the Flamboyant Chad!

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
<Puts CT on a pedestal> [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Kiss my sweet patootie, AK. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
Is that like a hanging Chad?

Doh you beat me to it.

No, it's closer to a dimpled Chad.

But is the wrong gender to be a Pregnant Chad.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

But CT, that's so anatomically possible! [Kiss]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
You haven't seen my patootie! [ROFL]

*ba-dum-dum

[ September 24, 2004, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Chad is Rad
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

[ROFL]

In fact, I think I have. There was a picture you linked to once....

[Kiss]

Tammy
Member # 4119

*pouts* I missed a picture of Sara's Patootie?

That is not fair.

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

[wistfully considers the fair and the not-fair, the being and the nothingness which are too abstract to be visible to the naked eye (oh, if only one had a can of spray-paint!)]

[ September 24, 2004, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Turgan
Member # 6697

- posted      Profile for Turgan   Email Turgan         Edit/Delete Post 
heh heh heh
*stalks off and grabs some spray paint*

Posts: 529 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

That shirt is AWSOME! Seriously it's like a "Vote for Pedro" shirt.
CStroman
Member # 6872

I'm gonna hafta buy it, frame it and put it on my wall.
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

[anyone else musing on world peace?]

[ September 24, 2004, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Tammy
Member # 4119

Yup!
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

[considers the many benefits of a beneficent Tatianic dictatorship]

[ September 24, 2004, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Woooowee! <saving these for poster[ior]ity> <<<<<<<<<<<<<Sara>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> You r0xx0rz!

[ September 24, 2004, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Tammy
Member # 4119

*ogles Sara*

What a pair of cutie patooties. Seriously...you and your hair are beautiful. Very pretty hair.

I ordered two of each print.

saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
::pout:: I can't see them.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

[ponders the seen and unseen]

[ September 24, 2004, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

[puzzles on whether my holding the tall end of the stick is of moral consequence to saxon75]

[ September 24, 2004, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

saxon75
Member # 4589

I have to say you'd be getting the short end of the stick since I'm pretty much the opposite.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

As charming as you are here saxon75...I find that impossible to believe.

*I had a big Hershey's Chocolate Bar today folks*

saxon75
Member # 4589

So, basically what you're saying is that I'm so uncouth here that you have a hard time seeing how I could be worse in person?

[Wink]

Tammy
Member # 4119

Yep...that's exactly what I'm saying.

*wacks Saxon up side the head*

[Kiss]

the master
Member # 6788

- posted      Profile for the master   Email the master         Edit/Delete Post 
saxon needs to grow some self esteem. the only times he's not charming are when he's whining about not being charming.
Posts: 157 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

celia is so weird. She only likes me when I abuse her.
the master
Member # 6788

- posted      Profile for the master   Email the master         Edit/Delete Post 
Harder.
Posts: 157 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

I can see the attraction in that.
saxon75
Member # 4589

So, celia, would you prefer that the next time you call me I just let the awkward silences stand instead of filling them by talking about how awkward I am? Personally, I think the latter is funnier (and you were laughing), but I'm pretty good at not talking. In fact, I'm apparently charming enough that I can be charming without talking at all.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh. Still can't see it and I'm not sure why.

Oh I see. *un*publiced them.

[Frown]

[ September 24, 2004, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Isn't she a tease PSI?
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

[posts edited to reflect a long stretch of deep, meditative, cerebral silences [Wink] ]

[ September 24, 2004, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

saxon75
Member # 4589

Ha! I love Sara.
Tammy
Member # 4119

Stop it Sara! [No No]

Behave!

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

I have an irreverent image to maintain, you know. A vested interest nowadays.

Tammy
Member # 4119

When I get copies that I ordered I'm going to make posters for everyone at Hatrack.
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

[You do and I'll stand on my hands, walk backward in time, and Unmake every brownie in existence. And a couple cupcakes, too. [No No] ]

[ September 24, 2004, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Tammy
Member # 4119

*shudders*

No one has ever, ever said that to me. I'm scared. I truly believe you can do it.

I want one brownie for each picture.

*pat-pat don't worry, I don't have enough money right now to buy anything let alone gorgeous pictures of some scary lady and her husband*

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Deal!

[I edit for you, my little bon-bon. It was the most vicerally ghastly image from a movie I'd ever seen, impossible to forget. I almost threw up in the theatre. [Eek!] I'd never do that. But I would try to walk backward in time, just for the heck of it. Totally irresponsible. [Big Grin] ]

[ September 24, 2004, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Tammy
Member # 4119

I don't watch scary movies...much.

So I'm easily spooked.

*still shivering*

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Aw, Tammy, I'm sooo sorry.

Here, a story:

I was young and gullible once, and I had an older brother. This is not a good combination. He convinced me that there was a mirrorworld in the looking glass (after we'd read Alice's Adventures), where I could pass in and the Alternate Sara would jump in and take my place, leaving me free to read and play all day.

Luckily, he had a conscience, and he stopped me from jumping off the couch straight at the mirror. I've always wondered, though, what would have really happened.

Tammy
Member # 4119

[ROFL] What a meanie he was.

I had a mean cousin who told me scary stories. She lived in an attic room. She told me there was an old lady that lived in there. The old lady came out at night and used her brush. She even showed me the long supposedly gray strands of hair.

It never dawned on me at the time that the old lady's hair could have very well been Rachel's blonde hair.

See...that's not even that scary and it certainly isn't that believable and yet I still get a little nervous in attics.

I've learned that Chocolate heals all wounds - send brownies ASAP.

Turgan
Member # 6697

- posted      Profile for Turgan   Email Turgan         Edit/Delete Post 
*Spraypaints on the wall*

"BY THE TIME YOU'VE READ THIS, YOU'VE ALREADY READ IT."

Posts: 529 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, now that this thread has deteriorated into fluff, I can meaninglessly defend my statements. Firstly, Chad's posts are either intentionally inflamatory, or display a remarkable lack of reflective thought. I'll give Chad the benefit of the doubt and assume that he's not as thoughtless as I have previously assumed, and that he is merely seeking attention, a sin we are all occationally guilty of, but perhaps not to the same extent.

I also think it's possible to be a troll unknowingly here. This is because trolling is the status quo in alot of places, and Hatrack tries to be different. Therefore, what is perfectly acceptable on Fark would be abborrent here.

As for the comparisons to Thor, I think that's somewhat unfair to Thor. While he may have been deservedly banned in the past, now his occationally trollish posting doesn't have much of a negative impact on the board. His "Which drug users are our enemies?" thread was inflamatory to begin with, but when I tried to steer it into a serious debate about drug policy, he didn't try to bring himself back to the center of attention by continuing to post incendiary comments. Considering the thread was Thor's and the topic is an important one for him, I think it displays restraint that Chad currently lacks.

The thread that prompted me to post this was "One Nation, Under Whom?" I would normally have wanted to post in that thread, but the thread was not about the pledge of allegience or the relationship between religion and the state, the thread was about Chad, and whattever he had to say. His posts were frequently angry and more than a few are rather incoherent. He refuses to respond in a meaningful way to what others have to say. His behavior is not unsual for many places online, but I like Hatrack because it's different. It's exceptional in that. To give an example of what Chad has said that is corroding meaningful debate on this forum:

quote:
Also "Aids Research" is paid for with Tax Money, but is pretty much a 100% eradicable disease. But people aren't willing to do what it takes to beat it. It's "Find a cure for me" because no one likes being told to change their lifestyle.
And in response to people who pointed out kids are born with the disease:
quote:
Your mother won't have it if she doesn't have sex with anyone that has it and if she doesn't use drugs.
In response to someone mentioning a friend with Aids:
quote:
Also, did your friend get it from transfusion, or lifestyle choice (sex/drugs)? Just wondering.
Read the thread. His habit of quoting people out of context and ignoring the substance of their argument is a classic trolling strategy.

<typo>

[ September 24, 2004, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: Chaeron ]

Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

quote:
Ok, now that this thread has deteriorated into fluff, I can meaninglessly defend my statements.
I meant no disrespect to you. I know you know that.
CStroman
Member # 6872

[ROFL]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.