FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I am mean to newbies (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I am mean to newbies
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
i've participated actively on Hatrack Young Writers for almost two years now. When I started out, I was idealistic, naive, and hopeful.

And shocked at harsh criticism.

And now I've turned into the people who infuriated me as a newbie. Are many newbies jsut stupid? I mean, trolls, yes, it's all right to be mean to them. And I don't think I'm really mean. I'm just harsh in criticism and I do offer suggestions.

So what do you think? Is it all right to be harsh to newbies?

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
With a member number as high as yours, why should I bother listening?
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Harsh criticism is useful. Someone in a workshop should not be there if they are not interested in improving their craft.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

[Razz]

Newbie is a state of mind. I've never paid attention to member numbers, but, well, you can kinda tell.

And besides, my other member number is lower. [No No]

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Back in your cage newbie! [Razz]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
If newbie is a state of mind, then what you are really mean to is just people who are: "idealistic, naive, and hopeful."

I'm such a n00b.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

Maybe I phrased it wrong. I mean the ones who come and post their story and are surprised when they don't get bouquets of roses tossed at their feet. And then get mad at criticism.

Yeah, my hopes and dreams were hammered into cold cynicism. Best thing that ever happened to me. *sob*

Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I thought that was you... Yeah, you aren't that bad, it's true, you and I at times, are harsh to them. But I think it's better that they learn it with constructive criticism than to get nothing back from a publishing company...

Don't be mean to Antro. Anthro is cool. ^_^

I'm still Idealistic, Naive, and hopeful... does that still classify me as a newbie there?

[ September 26, 2004, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: Vadon ]

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*puts Nathan back in his cage*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Be most harsh to yourself, second-most harsh to those you like the most, and not harsh at all to those you don't know.

To harshly criticize a newbie is to claim expertise on a topic you've never even seen before. It's arrogant, and unwarranted.

[ September 26, 2004, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

Erm, I think he is reffering to an incident that occured recently... A New person to the board posted a very biased essay, it was filled with opinions, there was no arguement in it. It just, well, it was just plain terrible. I, too, criticized harshly on the person telling the person good strategies to put into an Essay.

He later edited his post, then said something like "what are your thoughts on this?" And in a later post, he said "What are you guys criticising?" Pretending that he never put an essay on to start with.

Either that or how the person mocked him later.

[ September 26, 2004, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: Vadon ]

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Psssht. You got nothing on me, dude.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Well duh ... Isn't the function of the edit post button to make othere people's responses look like nonsense?

Edit: I so want to erase this ...

[ September 26, 2004, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: kaioshin00 ]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

Here I thought it was there to make yourself look like an idiot...
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
You four-digiters should know your place!
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, just like you three digiters do!
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
The Tatiana says be nice to newbies or else! [Mad] [Smile] [Razz]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
When does your registration date switch to "A Long Time Ago!"?
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
When Hatrack reincarnates, phoenix-like, and your specific facts are unknown. Yeah, in that wondrous time shall we all be as equals. Except for our member numbers, which will be alphabetically based. N00b.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Raia, an early version of the UBB code didn't save registration dates. So the people who were there before that get "A Long Time Ago" put in their date field when the database was converted.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I like my explanation better.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Be most harsh to yourself, second-most harsh to those you like the most, and not harsh at all to those you don't know.

To harshly criticize a newbie is to claim expertise on a topic you've never even seen before. It's arrogant, and unwarranted.

Isn't the Young Writers' Forum a workshop? I would expect criticism to be the goal there.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

::points::

I think this "Tatiana" is a troll! I'm pretty sure she's an existing member posting hiding behind a new name!

::blows whistle::

:-p

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
There's criticism and then there's criticism - It runs the range from:

• Dude, that's stupid! This sucks.
Which would be an example of bad, or perhaps less than constructive criticism.
  • You have several problems with the essay - you express little or no factual data, your sentence and paragraph structure is crude and needs serious revisions and...
Which isn't particularly nice or tactful, but neither is it unduly harsh or counter-productive.
Edit: Argh.

-Trevor

Edit: For structure

[ September 26, 2004, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The person receiving criticism is the only one who can make criticism constructive, depending on how they use it.

"This sucks" provides the valuable datapoint that one reader thinks it sucks. Knowing nothing else, there may not be a lot the writer can do with that. But it's still valuable information.

That said, it behooves a critic to learn how to deliver criticism well, if for no other reason than to prepare for the day you have to criticize your boss. [Big Grin]

Dagonee

Icarus
Member # 3162

Worst. Post. Ever.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Aw, does that help make up for your miniscule post count?
Icarus
Member # 3162

I favor quality over quantity.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oh, that's a shame then. I always like people to achieve at least one of the things they strive for.
TMedina
Member # 6649

Ouch.

I can feel the chill from here. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

DO you strive for vapidity, then?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

No, I think it's contagious.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Troll, huh? Go hide in the basement, noob, so Jeanne doesn't get you! [Razz]

(Disclaimer: The Tatiana as far as she knows did not cause the formation of any hurricanes this season nor did she do anything to alter their intensity nor affect the paths they may have taken.)

Icarus
Member # 3162

See?!

She's a witch!

[Eek!]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

She's made of wood!
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
She turned me into a newt!

But I got better...

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

Well, I don't say just "this sucks". I will tell them what's wrong with it and suggest a few solutions.

And if I have a couple hours of free time, I'll dissect it bit by bit and write a veryin-depth critique. Infuriatingly enough, it's when I do that mostly that they come back with saying it's perfect how it is.

Vadon: Actually, I'm not talking about enderbean, though I am inclined to injure him right now. I just noticed I was getting harsher in my critiques.

TMedina
Member # 6649

I didn't mean to imply that you did Anthro - I'm simply providing an extreme as a base for reference.

-Trevor

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap, Dag. You have a higher post count than I do!

Good thing I'm so much better looking.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
But not better at math, apparently. [Razz]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap, Ralphie. You have a higher post count than I do!

Good thing I'm so much better looking.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
But not better at math, apparently. [Razz]
Or, perhaps, dyslexic.

I quickly checked my post count and clearly transposed the 0 and the 7 in my 6709.

Again, though, good thing I'm so good-lookin'.

[ September 26, 2004, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Kama - It's okay that you're better looking and speak more languages than I do. I look at you as sort of a prodigy. It's always okay if your progeny out-classes you.

(And by that I mean simply that my ninja assassins haven't reached you yet.)

Kama
Member # 3022

[Smile]

They have. They are now a part of my harem.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

h..e..l..p...u..s...
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Well, damn.
Kama
Member # 3022

quote:
h..e..l..p...u..s...
[No No]

They like being my harem.

vwiggin
Member # 926

Sure the leopard skin leotards are fun, but chronic dehydration is no laughing matter.
Anthro
Member # 6087

quote:
I didn't mean to imply that you did Anthro - I'm simply providing an extreme as a base for reference.

I know, just describing my own critique style and using your example as, well, a non-example.

Ninja assassins? Pish posh. Load of tosh. Go for the pirates.

Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Sure the leopard skin leotards are fun, but chronic dehydration is no laughing matter.
Comedic gold. [Big Grin]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.