FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Three Wishes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Three Wishes
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
I was asked today if I had three wishes, what would I wish for. I answered: a platter of sushi, a cup of tea, and a good book.

Most people seemed puzzled by this. But I think that most of the grandiose thigns I would wish for (wealth, success, brilliance) either would only make me unhappy or are worth working for. I would not want to get to the top by snapping my fingers; I want to climb there.

Really, I think wishing is only worth it for the simple things. Things that are gone soon enough. Wishing is an idle sport, so perhaps it should be reserved for idle pastimes. And if you wish for that which is easy to get, you go through life generally happy and optimistic.

What are your three wishes? Why?

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a Calvin and Hobbes where Calvin spends 5 panels deciding between wealth, power, and fame. Hobbes then wishes for a sandwich. Calvin tells him he's crazy.

Last panel shows Hobbes eating a sandwich and saying, "I got my wish."

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
All of that is, of course, silly.

If you don't want fantastic wealth, then wish for money, and give it to me.

I'll buy you tea, a book, and a plate of whatever world food is trendy that week.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
First wish: have an unlimited number of wishes.

Somehow, nobody wants to grant me at least that little wish...

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

Yeah, now my friends say they know exactly what they're going to do for my birthday gifts for the rest of my life . . .

Oops.

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

[ROFL]

Explaining: There's a Johnny Bravo cartoon I just remembered, in which he keeps trying to get a job in order to get enough money to buy his mother a Mother's Day present. And in the end, all beaten and with no money, he's sitting on the porch of the house, talking to himself:
"Yeah, like that'll work. I'll just tell her how much I love her, how much she means to me, etc."
Somewhere in the middle of his monologue, his mother opens the door behind him and hears all the rest. Then she hugs him and says: "Aw, that's the only thing a mother ever wants from her child!"

To which Johnny says:
"Oh, mamma! That's gonna make shopping for you this Christmas REALLY cheap!"

[paraphrased at will]

[ September 26, 2004, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Corwin ]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I sure wish I could stop vomiting.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
a bookcase that would always have new books all of the kind you would enjoy.
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
1.No Homework!
2.Controlled Invisibility
3.Flight

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody ever read Frumpy the Clown? It only ran for two years, but it was my favorite comic.

One Sunday strip Frumpy and and Brad are walking through the park and a wizard appears, brags a little, and offers Frumpy his heart's desires. Frumpy asks for the first ABBA album on vinyl and a watermelon. There's no way to "tell" a comic, so you'll just have to trust me that it was hilarious.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Book. *hugs*

I wish I could relax and go to sleep. I was up at 5:30 this morning and I'm still tickin.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I think that most of the grandiose thigns I would wish for (wealth, success, brilliance) either would only make me unhappy or are worth working for
Pick the two that you want the most and use your last wish to be happy. Duh.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"First wish: have an unlimited number of wishes."

Okay, one is granted that wish. Doesn't mean any of them will come true. Quite the opposite since the brain has finite capacity.
::head explodes::

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Erm, A modest home, a small family, a good job. I find happiness in things like that. Not silly things like fame, power, wealth, etc.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Financially stable for the length of my life.
2. Physical/Mental stability for the length of my life.
3. To be a good husband and father.

I don't need a genie in a bottle for those. Just dedication and work. [Smile]

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Ahem.

1. I wish I graduated high school yesterday with a 4.0 average and have already been accepted to every college whatsoever, but have decided not to go for (good) reasons beyond my control.

2. I wish I got married today to a beautiful, 5' 8 or 9", brunette woman with a great, harmonious personality to mine and a loving heart.

3. I wish Mountain Dew would release their Baja Blast pop in more places than Taco Bell.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
1. My selfish wish: Powers of flight, ala Superman.
2. My unselfish wish: Good health for everyone, within the limits of plausability. (ie, if you get stuck with a knife, you don't automagically heal up, your body will just be able to fight off infection.)
3. My silly wish: Hmmm. . . to be a really, really, really good cook.

[ September 27, 2004, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
I am reminded of the Far Side cartoon every time I hear about "three wishes" in any form.

You know the one?

The chef is getting ready to put the lobster in the boiling pot and the lobster is saying to him, "Three wishes? Did I say Three? Four wishes."

I particularly like the deadpan expression on the chef's face.

So, I can't help you, except I would wish for a lobster.

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
1) I wish I could speed up or slow down the passage of time, as in Treason
2) I if I spend a lot of time sped-up, it won't decrease my life span
3) I get to bestow fines or boons upon companies acccording to how pleased or displeased I am with their commercials (hint -- Enzyte, natural male enhancment would have alreay been fined millions upon millions of dollars)

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, first I'd wish to know which wishes would be best...
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

aspectre, I thought we were talking about a situation in which your wishes would be fulfilled... If not, I don't really see a reason to play this *game*... [Dont Know]
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
If it was possible for me to have any wish granted, I would wish for the same powers as the one granting my wish, with none of the restrictions.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Wish that the Genie was free to do whatever he wanted. This, of course, would make him my life long pal and he'd follow me around all the time granting me wishes and such and we'd get a cartoon deal out of disney and I'd marry the cute princess with the tiger as a pet and....

2) Don't wish to be happy, healthy, and financially secure for the rest of your life. That is easilly granted, by shooting you in the back, right now.

3) I'd wish for enough money to quit my job so I could spend my time writing. The fame I could earn from that.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could fly,
I wish that we would explode if we went to space,
I wish I had met Jesus Christ.

P.S. I wish I had a boyfriend...

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wish that the Genie was free to do whatever he wanted. This, of course, would make him my life long pal and he'd follow me around all the time granting me wishes and such and we'd get a cartoon deal out of disney and I'd marry the cute princess with the tiger as a pet and....
If he's a nice genie. Or maybe he'd just leave and spend all his time feeding trolls on hatrack. [Dont Know]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Or eating them for that matter...
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
1. blessed +3 silver dragon scale mail
2. 3 blessed scrolls of charging
3. blessed fireproof bag of holding

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Robe of Twilight
2. Maple staff
3. Silver bracers

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

quote:
I wish that we would explode if we went to space
Huh?
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I learned my lesson from "The Monkey's Paw". No wishes for me.

Nathan, couldn't help but notice your wishes don't include any prospect of a long life. Good health until you die is easy if you die tomorrow. *points to monkey's paw*

edit: Wrong T.

[ September 27, 2004, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
1. The ability to shapeshift, at will, into the form of any living being, while still retaining the knowledge of who and what I truly am, as well as the ability to shift back to my natural form at will.

2. The ability to, at will, teleport myself plus 500 lbs of living or nonliving matter in both time and space.

3. The ability to understand and produce all human forms of communication, spoken, written, and signed with perfect fluency, and (in the case of spoken language) with any accent I chose.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

I wish for Noemon's wish not to come true.

quote:
1. The ability to shapeshift, at will, into the form of any living being, while still retaining the knowledge of who and what I truly am, as well as the ability to shift back to my natural form at will.

That's scary!

[Eek!]

How would we know who was who and what was what?

Noemon
Member # 1115

I'd know. Besides, it would help me to be able to assume an inconspicuous form when I was travelling to various points in time. There are too many time periods in which a white male who was only able to speak early 21st century English would be more than a little bit...conspicuous.

Plus, I'd enjoy seeing what it felt like to have a dolphin's body, or a cheeta's, or a hawk's.

Also, it would be very handy for consciously healing myself of wounds and such.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Wouldn't you be tempted to use that power in ways you shouldn’t? Maybe just once?
Turgan
Member # 6697

- posted      Profile for Turgan   Email Turgan         Edit/Delete Post 
1) I wish for a lifetime supply of fried Mozzerrella sticks

2) Fame. And like Blink 182 Fame. Infact... just make them all my next door neighbors and best friends.

3) The power go anywhere and do anything i want at all times. Or you can just give me all of Super Man's powers. Or the bat cave.

Posts: 529 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I doubt it Tammy. Are you thinking of misusing it the way, say, Uther Pendragon did, or something else?
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Eating good chocolate would make me lose weight.

2) Plants would obey me, so I could garden by voice alone.

3) Health for my family, until natural death of well over 100.

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

I was specifically thinking of Frank Herbert's Face Dancers

Shape Shifters of any kind always come across as evil and soulless to me.

Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
1) The ability to read anyone's mind. Think about it.. why wish for wealth, when you can just go to Vegas and win it.

2) Ability to teleport. That way its not an issue trying to get across the state to see Becky, or to go around the country to visit other Hatrackers.

3) To be an "above average" fencer. Fencing is one of the only sports I've ever known where a majority of its participants aim to be "average." I'd hate the responsibility of near-godlike fencing talent.. I'd have to, you know, practice a lot and compete nationally and such. I guess i could just teleport that extra 2 feet and suddenly stab someone who i was a safe distant away from moments before. Or maybe read their minds and predict every move and think of its counter before the other person even moves.
[Dont Know]

Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
My three wishes would be for things that are more or less out of my control but that I deeply want.

1. No one in this world goes without basic necessities: Water, food, clothing, shelter, safety, medicine.

2. Everyone gets an education that includes literacy and is appropriate to the learning abiltities and talents they exhibits.

3. Universal language translators: no matter what language anyone spoke, they would be able to clearly understand what anyone was trying to communicate.

Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Those are commendable wishes Amka.

And that Ladies & Gentlemen is why I feel like this.

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, sticking in "ands" "as well" "except for" etc. into your wish to string more and more things together doesn't mean it still counts as one wish.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Yes it does.
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Teleportation.
2. Lots of land i can have horses on, and the ability to build everything like i want it.
3. Hatrack as a state. Or a country. Whatever.

Ni!

[ September 27, 2004, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: kwsni ]

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
All I wish for is Global Domination [Evil] [Evil Laugh]

Soon, Pinky. Very soon...

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
1. To be able to wrestle again

2. To pass AP American Lit

3. To meet the perfect girl (and have her like me)

But then again, I could make due with just the first one.

[ September 27, 2004, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: J T Stryker ]

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"I thought we were talking about a situation in which your wishes would be fulfilled... If not, I don't really see a reason to play this *game*"

In this game, there are three wishes which are guaranteed to be fulfilled. I was merely pointing out that exactly how one phrases a guaranteed-to-be-fulfilled-wish can have extreme consequences.
In this case, a first guaranteed-to-be-fulfilled-wish for an unlimited number of wishes/desires without further provisos on its fulfillment causes an attempt to fill a finite brain with infinite information/wishes, hence:
::head explodes::

Let's suppose that for your first guaranteed-to-be-fulfilled-wish, you wish for only a hundred wishes.
Next thing you know, you have wishes/desires in your head that weren't there before. And your second guaranteed-to-be-fulfilled-wish is made for eg brussel sprouts, with the third guaranteed-to-be-fulfilled-wish made for eg anchovies. And you didn't even like brussel sprouts or anchovies before making that first guaranteed-to-be-fulfilled-wish for more wishes/desires. And you still don't like them cuz you didn't wish to like them.
You've just wasted three guaranteed-to-be-fulfilled-wishes on stuff you don't even want. And still have 97 unfulfilled wishes/desires nagging at your sense of success/failure.

Would you want every wish to come true?
Never been so annoyed by someone that you wished them harm? but only for that moment? and only because you know that your wish wouldn't actually harm them?
Need a "magic"word/ritual to prevent wishes from being fulfilled unless you truly desire them to be fulfilled. A changing password/ritual lest saying that word, doing that ritual becomes reflexive.

Okay, suppose you phrase the guaranteed-to-be-fulfilled-wishes correctly.
Then you wish to be the world's fastest runner. How would riding a wish be different from riding a motorcycle? Would you feel any more successful outrunning other competitors than you would if you beat them using a motorcycle?
Suppose you wished that a heart throb loved you. Would you feel any more loved knowing that they didn't have a choice in the matter?

Even "Pick the two that you want the most and use your last wish to be happy." has undesirable consequences.
Would you really want to be happy when eg your puppy got run over by a car? etc...

Be careful what you wish for, especially if you know that your wish will come true.

[ September 27, 2004, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

I repeat:
1. Platter of sushi
2. Cup o' tea
3. Good book

I can get the rest myself. And for the large worldwide wishes, in the (paraphrased) words of a Weatherwax, it doesn't really help that much. Better to work to change the people.

Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what my first two wishes would be exactly but for the third:

I wish that the genie granting these wishes will have the same happiness or misfortune that I experience from the granting of my first two wishes.

That one kinda keeps the genie from mucking about with what you wish for...

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish to start a new page in this thread.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.