FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Grrr (a rant)

Author Topic: Grrr (a rant)
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Paying a visit to the cold drinks section of my local convenience store brought me to a vast array of beverages. When deciding which one to choose to satiate my thirst, I thought "Maybe I'll get lucky and win a free 20 oz in one of those 1/8 wins a free coke contests."

So I bought a 20 oz coca cola classic. I eagerly hurried to the cashier so I could pay and then see if I won! After getting 94 cents of change back (since it cost $1.06), I quickly rotated the cap counter-clockwise, releasing the oh-so-familiar sound of escaping carbon dioxide. Then, I turned the cap upside down to see if I won! Alas, this I would not find out for several hours. Imprinted on the bottom of the cap was a series of about 20 numbers and letters. I thought to myself, "Huh?", and read the back of the label. Not only did I notice that one serving has about 20g of sugar, but you have to submit the code online to check if you win! [Wall Bash]

At this moment, I realized that things were better in the older days. Children respected their elders. People woke up to the sounds of roosters crowing. No one ever complained. Teachers were paid enough. The verbal section of the SAT's didn't have an essay. Coke bottles clearly stated wheter or not you won a free coke.

Anyways, I quickly rushed home to check online. And to my dismay, I was not one of the elite one-out-of-eight people who win a free 20 oz coke [Cry] [Cry]

[ September 27, 2004, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: kaioshin00 ]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, that does stink. Whoever thought of that is a dodo. They should have an instant win aspect, it could be inside the lid, and a code on the part of the lid you peel off to get to hit the website.

:recalls the days of the elusive "smile": Not that I drink coke. We just would collect the caps from the construction site across the street.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
go with Mountain Dew. Personally, I prefer Livewire. And you find out if you've won right away!

[Cool]

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what else sucks? Cracker Jack prizes. I got a freakin' sticker for somthing I'd never heard of. Man, I remember the day when in a box of Cracker Jacks, you could get a little blue plastic jointed donkey that you had to assemble yourself. And these days were in 1986.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm don't mean to ruin your rant or anything but I think it does say you've won under the cap when you have won. When it says the numbers I think you have to check to see if you've won any other prize. [Smile]
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that an admission of guilt? Or an indication that you did win but have thrown away the winning cap in your prior state of unawareness?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

No! it is an indication of my ignorance of the rules of the free coke. I never knew that the numbers meant you win one of their other prizes. [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
The SAT has an essay portion now? About damn time.
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, they added more math, hacked out analogies, and popped in an essay. 2400 is a perfect score now, but the grading on the essay is real easy.
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
What Chaeron said, except there's a whoosh of escaping breath afterwards, signaling my relief that I took the test before that crap came along.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
The numbers just mean you COULD have won something else. It's really just a ruse to get you to register and supply them with your address so they can sell your name and put you on a bunch of junk mail lists.

I'm not just cynical, really! You know they do that!

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
Anthro: you mean my 1600 isn't king any more? *sniff*
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not just so they can sell your name, it's so they can get you on the site, and probably try to sell you more product. Aweful. I hate what's happened to this market in the last 7 or 8 years. All this mumbo jumbo blah.
Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I have one from like 3 years ago that I never claimed. I wonder if it's still good. From back in the good old days, I mean. When small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri, and you could tell from your coke top whether or not you'd won!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.