FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Over Thirty and Outside the Norm (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Over Thirty and Outside the Norm
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
For the record, I think this is pretty wicked cool, Olivia.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
Olivetta:

I had no idea you were at Kennesaw State! I'm doing my Master's there. Small world! I think age has no real meaning in the classroom. Experience, yes, age, no. I'm 37 and just beginning my Master's. I earned my BA in English just two years ago. Technically, I'm about ten years off schedule career-wise.

My probably unwanted advice--don't let your age get you down. It sounds like you're having a blast. That's what really counts. Also, if it makes you feel better, I hate downtown too. I'm definately an "outside-the-perimeter" kind of gal.

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. Heya Jess.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

Hey, Trevor! [Razz]
Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Olivia, this sounds so exciting!

I had to drive from Gwinnett to Marietta every day for a week for my thesis project and it was a total nightmare.

BTW, my mother sent me a bunch of stuff for the house, including a set of proper silver steak knives (not bonesaw style) and it made me think of you. [Smile]

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs. M-- That's so funny! The steak knives incident is one many of my friends still laugh about. Me, too, actually. [Big Grin]

Jess-- I had no idea! What's your Master's going to be in?

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

Olivette:

I am getting a Master's in professional writing. My concentration is Composition and Rhetoric with a bent toward ESL learners. My real love is creative, but I have to feed my family. I'm on campus one night a week, and it's difficult,but I enjoy the challenge.

So are you just studying film production for fun?

Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
That is so cool! When I get both kids in school, I want to see about getting into Agnes Scott, as they have some interesting things to offer a returning student.

That would, however, entail a horrendous commute. And it may not be what I want to do after all. When the time comes, we'll see if opportunity and interest converge. [Smile]

CLASS TONIGHT WAS FABULOUS!

Tonight's class was all about cameras. How they work, why it takes two or three people to run them under some circumstances and what each of those three people has to do. We got to play with horrrendously expensive 35 and 16 MM film cameras as well as a digital monster, like the ones used for TV news. Bill was kind and answered all our questions exhaustively.

I'm getting on with a few people in the class, too. A really neat girl from Alaska who will be going to SCAD next year, and a somewhat quieter girl (who may actually be close to my age) with a chin piercing and a Ramones t-shirt. The males in the class were quiet, except for the older guys who were affably more clueless than anybody, but really nice.

I felt so calm. I asked reasonably intelligent (I think) questions, and surprised myself by already knowing the answers to some of the questions other people asked. Like how to do that thing where the person stays in the same place relative to the picture size, but the background seems to shift focus (You zoom in or out as the camera actually physically moves in the opposite direction). I did learn that Alfred Hitchcock was the first one to use that particular technique.

One of the scenes we'll be doing is one that was familiar to me, but I couldn't place it. We have been encouraged to bring in actors or willing victims of our own to film the scenes (and our own props and set dressings-- whatever we want). Bill said he'd feed 'em, so I think that may help us get people to come.

Then, I realized that Nash was perfect for one of the scenes. I asked him to come, and showed him the scene. He recognized it-- it's from Ronin. He's all jazzed about doing it, though he can't commit right away because of work. He is so unbelievably perfect for the part. I'm all a-twitter. Also, I want to ask an old friend in town who used to do all the nifty character parts in the plays back when we were in college. It won't be a long trip for her, I think. Maybe she'll do it. *crosses fingers*

Thing is-- and this is a big revelation for me-- I CAN DO THIS! In your FACE, Jane Campion! [Razz]

*hysterical old lady dance*

Oh, and my editing job is almost a 'go', too. But that is not really relevant to this thread. [Smile]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.