FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Vrrooom, vrooooooom! (Updated: First rides) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Vrrooom, vrooooooom! (Updated: First rides)
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I got my motorcycle permit today. [Big Grin]

[ April 10, 2005, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] JUST what you need, girl! [No No]

[Big Grin] FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool] [Cool]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Ride, ElJay, Ride!

Very cool.

So...what bike are you buying? Do you have one already?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I know you took the motorcycle safety course and so they probably told you stuff like the first six months of riding are the most dangerous. You need to practice your skills frequently. Remember the 3 second and 12 second rules. And drive as if everyone around you can't see you.

Be safe!

We'll ride together sometime, I hope!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
moooooooorv, mooooooooooooorv!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Actually, I am taking the safety course this weekend. You need your permit first, and then they test you at the end of the course and you are fully licensed, as the instructors are also examiners. And I probably will not be getting a bike this season, as I'm saving up so I can pay cash. I would have kinda perferred to wait to get licensed until I was ready to buy the bike, so the class would be fresh in my head, but I had a couple of friends taking it this year and the idea of taking it in a group outweighed the reasonable idea of waiting until I could afford a bike.

That said, this is the bike I want. With the optional studded solo seat. But purple. [Big Grin] And a couple years old, since I certainly don't want a brand-new bike for my very first.

Um, yeah, did I mention I'm a little excited?

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

That is a VERY nice looking bike, Eljay!

However they build these babies right here in Wichita, just a couple blocks from where I work,and they are mucho cool.

The company was started by the same Coleman guy that owned Colman company (the outdoor products stuff) before it sold to some other big corporate giant. This is his "retirement" hobby company. I've looked at these bikes in the showroom window, and they are just awesome.

Farmgirl

( HERE just for you guys who need new computer wallpaper)

[ September 30, 2004, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Farmgirl, those are fantastic, but if I save up until I can afford one I'll never get to ride. I'm betting they're a little steeper than the mass-produced bike I had in mind. [Wink]

If I win the lottery, however, you wanna go out to dinner when I fly down to pick one up?

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
That's so fun and exciting!!! [Big Grin]

Just make sure you don't do anything stupid - like drive recklessly without registration, insurance, your motorcycle endorsement, a helmet, and with a suspended license and a warrant out for your arrest. Otherwise, you may be off to jail while someone else gets new body-styling by Yamaha. [Smile]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

dkw, what? It's a cute little bike...

Edit to add: And of course I will obey all traffic and insurance laws... I am a fine, upstanding citizen. [Big Grin]

[ September 30, 2004, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, does this make you, like, a bad girl? Does that mean I'm, like, one of your hootchies? Use me anytime. Tee-hee!
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

No, no, it’s a very cute bike. I just think I’m starting to feel . . . outnumbered. Or something.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, she IS going to wear a helmet and all that black leather protection stuff,.....aren't you ElJay?

I don't think your future-brother-in-law will let you put one leg over the bike unless you do....

FG

ElJay
Member # 6358

Let me? I don't think he's silly enough to think he gets to let me do anything. [Wink] But yes, I have a helmet, and intend to wear it. And it doesn't take a motorcycle to get me to wear leather, so no problem.

And Lalo, a bike doesn't make me a bad girl. More, you could call it a symptom, not a cause.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Just makes all my suspisions proven true, that's all.

Somehow I think you won't have a problem meeting guys in coffee shops if you pull up with one of those between your....

nevemind...

[Evil] kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh My, adding black leather and a bike to your image just isn't fair!

Be safe and have a ball.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, eljay! Congrats! And the VStar is a very popular machine, very stylish, not too much power for a beginner, and a good size for a woman.

I'd like to point you to my motorcycle blog -- I haven't posted much on it lately, but the first two years of archives are a chronicle of my progress from a beginner rider to an experienced one... I kept it expressly with the hope that someone in your shoes would find it instructive, if not entertaining.

From the link above, click 'monthly blog archive' and start back in 2000 [Cool]

Ride Safe -- I know you'll enjoy the course. Keep us posted on your progress!

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Kwea, do you really think I have a problem meeting guys in coffee shops now? My problem has never been lack of opportunity, rather, it seems to be exceedingly poor taste.

John, your page looks very interesting, thank you! I'll read through it as I have time... or maybe I'll save it an do a little at a time this winter, while I can't ride. [Smile] As I get more excited, I'm looking more and more for ways to save money and be able to get a bike sooner. I can't wait!

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved my 750 Nighthawk. [Big Grin]

Anyone else a fan of American Chopper?

(Cool, ElJay! [Cool] )

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

*not surprised Sara had a "naked bike"*

JohnVP -- using the earplugs with your bike -- does that prevent you from hearing emergency traffic, etc. as well?

FG

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I like streamlined. [Big Grin] Bare essentials, baby.

Ummm, Farmgirl, just so you know -- if you were wanting to link to a "naked bike" explanation for a family friendly forum and were to put that phrase (in quotes) into the Google search engine, and then you were to click on the first link ... that would be not good. Apparently there are people who have naked bicycle tournaments, and these people do not susbcribe to the "fools' names and faces (err ...)" philosophy.

[Monkeys]

I was so young, so naive. My innocence is gone! [Eek!] [Cry]

[ October 01, 2004, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

[ROFL] no, I wouldn't recommend doing that! [ROFL]
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

I am having a fit of the vapors. [Embarrassed]

I have to go lie down now.

John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
FG:
quote:
JohnVP -- using the earplugs with your bike -- does that prevent you from hearing emergency traffic, etc. as well?
No.

Earplugs simply reduce the overall decibel peak of everything in the ambient soundscape. So very soft sounds are unreadable, but very loud sounds are heard just fine -- just not at damaging levels.

[ October 01, 2004, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: John Van Pelt ]

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And drive as if everyone around you can't see you.
In other words, clothing is optional, and nose picking is fair game.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Um, turns out it's supposed to be about 40 degrees out tomorrow morning while I'm taking the class. So no, clothing is not optional. That'll be a litle chilly.
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
YAY FOR ELJAY! That is the coolest.

And DAMN isn't it cold today?

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you see the episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show where Rob gets a motorcycle? Classic. [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Wheeeee! All done, and I passed the test. I don't officially have my endorsement until I go turn the examination results in at the license center, but for all practical purposes I'm good.

Which, as one of my instrcutors said, means "You've proven you can safely ride a motorcycle around a parking lot at about 12 mph.) [Wink]

It was a lot of fun. I got all the points on the U-turn box and the swerving, and lost 1 point on the quick stop for going just under a foot too far for my speed and 5 points on sharp turn for going .05 second too slow. That's right, you lose a point for each hundredth of a second too slow. Wow.

Anyway, so, yeah. I passed. [Big Grin]

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure to pose with your bike in a swimsuit or other impractical motorcycle-riding gear. [Wink]

Have fun zipping down the road!

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations.

And Sara, I love American Chopper. Especially that machine that cuts metal with water.

Too cool.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Very cool, ElJay!

And I really like the Yamaha V-star. It's a great bike and for the money is probably the best buy out there. Great warranty too.

I've NEVER had a problem with any Yamaha I've owned.

Cool.

Now, ride safely! [No No]

dkw
Member # 3264

Congrats.
ElJay
Member # 6358

*bumpity*

So, I have my bike now, and I've gone riding a couple of times, and I'm just thrilled with it. The first time out was a little nerve-wracking, but we took it easy, stayed on the back roads, and just practiced starting and stopping, turning, and staying visable and being aware of our surroundings. (We being my friend Claudia, who took the class with me and also bought her first bike this spring, and me.) Her friend Jim also came along with us our first time out and gave us some pointers, he is an experienced rider, and it was really nice having him along. The most helpful thing he pointed out to me was that I was tensing up across my upper back, which caused me to pull the bike back and forth. Once he said it I noticed it, and could consciously relax those muscles. It made a big difference!

This morning Claudi and I went out alone, and went down to the Minnehaha Parkway, which is a lovely little road that twists gently along a creek for awhile. Less stop signs, so we could actually ride further than a block at a time, but still not much traffic, and nice, gentle curves. We ended up circling Lake Nokomis, and then heading back.

Intellectually I knew that there were going to be rude drivers out there, but I was surprised at how soon I experienced it. I was leading, with Claudi behind me, and as we were slowing down for a stop sign we had a car just pull up past her and beside me, and then turn right in front of me. The road came to sort of a Y, and I clearly had my turn signal on that I was going left. Then on the way back we were on a straightaway on a slightly larger road, and were probably going 3 or 4 mph under the speed limit. Two cars pulled out to pass us. It was a passing zone, it was perfectly legal for them to do so, but at least while they were passing me they were not more than halfway into the other lane, and already starting to pull back into the right lane. I was flabbergasted. I realize this will be somewhat less of an issue when I'm actually going the speed limit, as people will be less likely to feel the need to get by, but still. It reinforces for me the need to be extremely cautious and a defensive driver.

On the positive side for my fellow man, it was also amazing how many smiles and waves we got from random people. When we were first starting out, and not going more than 15 mph, a woman getting out of her car gave me a huge grin and called out "You look great on that!" A child waiting with his dad to cross the street waved frantically as we went by, the father smiled happily when we waved back. A woman raking her yard yelled "You go girls!" as we rounded the last corner home. And everywhere, every time I caught someone's eye at a stop sign, they were smiling. Intense concentration warred with joyful glee within me, to be out riding on my beautiful new motorbike.

[Smile]

TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
*grins* Go grrrls go!

Seriously, I'm glad your outing went so smoothly.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, you ride?

Seeing you in a leather jacket and sunglasses on a chopper would totally make my day.

[ April 10, 2005, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: jebus202 ]

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

I have a Yamaha myself. [As of yesterday! [Big Grin] ]

[Big Grin]

[ April 10, 2005, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, ElJay! *vrooooom*

I love seeing big groups of riders go by. I'll pump a fist in the air at them or just wave, and most of them are happy to wave back.

Have fun and stay safe. There are a lot of idiot drivers out there, but your brother-in-law can fill you in on that better than I.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

T & Dags: [Wink]

jebus, Bob rides a 2003 Yamaha Midnight Venture. It's a pretty sweet bike, and the biggest in the same "family" as mine. But definitely not a chopper. If I ever get an opportunity I'll take a pic of him on it, with dkw on back, both of them in their leather jackets. And helmets, of course. [Big Grin]

twink, I hope you enjoy your Yamaha as much as I enjoy mine. [Smile] Of course, you'll get to use yours year-round. I am somewhat jealous.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
ElJay, I'm glad you're enjoying your new toy. Stay safe! [Smile]

twinky, I'm glad you're enjoying your new toy. Stay safe! [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's amazing that Yamaha makes everything from motorcycles to grand pianos. Just amazing.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
twink, I hope you enjoy your Yamaha as much as I enjoy mine. [Smile] Of course, you'll get to use yours year-round. I am somewhat jealous.
I get to use my motorcycle year round... [Razz]
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I am somewhat jealous of you, too. [Razz]
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you, ElJay!

[Cool]

Stay safe and have fun!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
So, when are you guys coming to Bike Week in Laconia, NH?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

*laugh* Not anytime soon.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool twinky, I tried one of those recently and realized the key weighting had come a long way. I'm still holding out for an eventual baby grand though.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smokey
Member # 6531

- posted      Profile for Smokey   Email Smokey         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Intellectually I knew that there were going to be rude drivers out there, but I was surprised at how soon I experienced it...
Aunt ElJay, I'm just glad you took that safety course so you know to watch out for those nasty people! Bob said that he learned the hard way that you just can't make them see you. If you see them doing something stupid, react! That's the rule. You have to drive safe enough for everyone!

And don't waste time lecturing them or giving them signals with your paws. It never works.

Be safe!!!

- Smokey

Posts: 11 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.