FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Craftspeople (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hatrack Craftspeople
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Inspired by the Hatrack artists thread, I thought the crafty among us could show off too. I love looking at and being inspired by other people's work.

This is a dress I made for Emily and it was my first venture into crazy quilting technique. Ignore the hemline because it wasn't hemmed when my mom took the picture (it's still not hemmed, it was big on her so we're waiting until Easter next year, and I'll hem it then)

http://members.sparedollar.com/Belle0511/dress1.JPG

Here's a closeup of the bodice

http://members.sparedollar.com/Belle0511/bodiceclose2.JPG

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
That's lovely, Belle! I would love to be able to make things but I never have the patience.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, I like that dress.

I don't have any pictures scanned in, but I do many crafty things. I have sewn my whole life, haven't made anything really amazing though, maybe one really cool three quarter sleeved shirt, with a boat neck over lapping shoulders (like onesies have), made out of a leppoard print poly knit.

I have made lots of beaded jewelry, right now my thing is blown glass beads on clear elastic cord, very trendy bracelets. In middle school I sold sculpey beaded necklaces at craft shows, they were really cute, at little out of style now. I've also done some hemp work, but the necklace I was really proud of never gets worn.

The crafty thing I do that is most unique is making leather saddles in one ninth scale for breyer horses. They can be very ornate, with silver and tooling.

I want to learn to knit this winter, my grandma does, but I know if she tried to teach me I would get very frustrated, so I'm going to try a book.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a shelf I made for my daughter's room.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some of my trompe l'oeil furniture decorations. I haven't updated these pages in a while, and i wish the photos were better, but it gives an idea.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
John... wow!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Lost - thanks!
Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
WOW again John! That is great. Is that hand painted?? The "treasures" on the chair look almost like photos. You couldn't come to Hanover PA and do a ceiling mural for me could you??

I have some photos of some beadwork I've done at this link.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't any pictures, but I'm a bead chick in the worst way. I made custom jewelry for my senior prom and then proceeded to tear it apart and reuse the beads for other projects. I'll try to get a picture of the pearl necklace I'm working on when it's finished.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
ooo... sm... I would love to see your work. I do beaded jewelry as well. I started out using seed beads. Now, I am using gemstone beads and sterling silver. It's definitely fun and satisfying to see a design on paper come to fruition in something you or someone else can wear. Heck, it's fun just to come up with a piece on the spur of the moment.

Belle... I like the patchwork and the pearl additions in the bodice.

mph... very nice shelf. How long did it take you to make it?

John... that is cool. I wouldn't mind something like that along a wall or a ceiling either.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I started with seed beads too! I got a bead loom for christmas when I was ten, and it all went from there. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

larisse, every one of those beads and seed pearls has already fallen off, LOL!

Handwork is not my strength. It is, however, my mother's - she does all the hand sewing for the pillows I sell. She's going to re-do all the beading on that dress by Easter.

I'm starting (after I finish sewing pirate costumes for Halloween) an entire throw out of the crazy quilt technique. It will be in blues and silvers - I have a nice collection of velvets, brocades, and satins in ice blues and silvers. It's going to have a holiday feel, and I hope to finish it and auction it off next year as a fundraiser for my church library. I won't finish it this year because I want a lot of hand beading and embellishment on this one, I want Mom and me to take our time with it.

Last year at our silent auction a string quilt went for over $200, so who knows? Maybe I can get a good bit for it.

Oh, and speaking of jewelry and beads - this is the bracelet my oldest daughter made to go with the crazy quilt dress.

http://members.sparedollar.com/Belle0511/bracelet-closeup.jpg

[ October 09, 2004, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Belle ]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
A bead loom? Wow, that brings back memories.

My mother's a home ec major, so I know my way around a needle and fabric. I made some baby blankets for Christy (well, technically they're for Sophie), and I'm using my (fairly nonexistant) painting skills to make something for Bernard for his birthday.

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
So many crafty people! I learned to crochet late last year, and am currently working on my third baby blanket. I haven't used a pattern out of a book yet; they're just simple patterns I make up myself. I started on a fourth baby blanket for my friend using granny squares out of a book and it's not going too well. I keep on missing a stitch somewhere, which is very frustrating. I'm going to see if I can get a friend to teach me how to quilt this winter.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom said once that the best bit of advice she got when she had to tiny kids at home (me and my one-year-older brother) was to do something every day that would last. The house and the kid work was important, but she was going a bit crazy feeling like she wasn't accomplishing anything concrete, but when someone told her that she needed to do something that lasted every day, it made perfect sense.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I made this doll in 6th grade...

I've done a lot of other "crafts" but I don't have pictures of them... One of my favorites is the dress I made for my 8th grade graduation

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I shall assert here that craft is art.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IvyGirl
Member # 6252

- posted      Profile for IvyGirl   Email IvyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
This is such a great thread! I love crafts and know how to do quite a lot, thanks to a very crafty great-aunt. Although I don't think I could take pictures of everything I have made and put it up, though. It would take to long. But let's see....I can sew, embroider, crochet, scrapbook, build....pretty much anything. Lately I've had to do a lot of mending. It's so much fun! Sorry, I'm a little overexcited, because I actually get to work on my projects today! Yay! [Big Grin]

Ivygirl

Posts: 156 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, that dress is GORGEOUS!!! Wow, I love it!

mph, very cool shelf.

Kral Ed, I love the beadwork. I have some very talented beadworking friends, but I'm lucky to string beads on elastic cord successfully.

All I do is bath stuff and chocolates, but I have been told my truffles are a work of art.

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been crafty, but I don't really have any pictures of my stuff. I was crazy into beadwork up until a year ago, when I suddenly got bitten by the knitting bug and have been doing that obsessively ever since. I know how to crochet but don't really do it, and I've made a few forays into cross stitch now and then; I have a beautiful, big, complex dragon one (the only one I've actually finished, I believe) framed on my wall.

Because I'm too lazy to rewrite it all, here is a link to my LJ that has pics of a very ambitious knitting project I just finished not too long ago. It helps if you're familiar with the webcomic Something Positive, but the journal entry has a link to the specific strip that inspired the scarf.

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
And what great blankets they are Mayday!

I don't have any pictures either. I've done some simple beadwork bracelets and chokers, mostly with elastic thread or leather. My sister made my cousin in the army a bracelet with a small cross and he wrote back saying that his whole division liked them so she sent him as many as she could make. I thought that was really awesome.

I've sewn some simple things as well, but am definitely an amateur. Pillows are fun. I made some door snakes for my relatives for Christmas one year and I'm rather proud of the sheer curtains I've put on our livingroom windows. It made me realize how poorly I sew in a straight llne, though. Luckily, the pleats cover up for my waviness.

I love to scrapbook, but usually do 8 1/2 x 11. Sophie's book is the first 12x12 that I've done, and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

I still haven't knit or crocheted although I did learn how. Theca, if you're reading this, I should just photocopy those patterns you gave me and mail them back to you since I've been so bad.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat]

I clicked on each and every link and everything was absolutely beautiful!

*applauds*

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
margarita
Member # 6856

- posted      Profile for margarita   Email margarita         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Annie. Craftwork IS artwork - just because something you've created is functional in the everyday sphere (you wear it, it furnishes your home, etc.) doesn't mean it can't be art, as well.

I actually think it's a little sad that mechanized, mass production of so many of the tools and other things we use has created this distinction between arts and crafts.

(You know you're addicted to Hatrack when you post before breakfast.)

Posts: 54 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Stray, I read S*P, and the Choo-Choo scarf is fabulous. Have you sent a picture in? I'm sure they'd love to see it.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I started quilting a little over a year ago.

I think this is my favorite quilt top so far.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
dkw... that quilt is gorgeous. I love the patterns. It reminds me of a psychedelic cosmic trip or one of those fractal pictures. Are you planning on a making a quilt with a wedding ring pattern? [Big Grin]

I am gonna try and get some of my work scanned. Gotta borrow some equipment first.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Whoa....Dana that is stunning! Nice job.
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Stray, I read S*P, and the Choo-Choo scarf is fabulous. Have you sent a picture in? I'm sure they'd love to see it.
I did indeed, the post is...*rummage rummage rummage*...here. Gotta say the day and a half or so of ego stroking was nice indeed [Big Grin]

And dkw, that quilt is amazing! I love it!

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, looks like maybe I posted this to the wrong thread LOL
Jenn's cross stitch stuff

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian_Berlin
Member # 6900

- posted      Profile for Brian_Berlin   Email Brian_Berlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Ropes and such...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/berlinvirus/LJ1/mats_1203.jpg
(the 5-turned one hadn't been tightened when I took that photo)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/berlinvirus/LJ1/rope_mat.jpg

$10-$20 of manilla rope makes great Christmas gifts.

Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my craft is building things in 3D. [Smile]

All about anesthesia!

(and, btw, that's not my voice)

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
I mostly make jewelry-I make my own bead looms when I need them, but lately I've been into wire and bead stuff (no pics, sorry)
I also knit a little, crochet, sew, make wire scultures (those I only do for my mother or godmother, mostly I don't care enough to do it, but they love them) and make pine-needle baskets. Any craft I see, I generally want to learn to do. It's very unhealthy.

And karl-the middle picture, that's really cool looking!

[ October 12, 2004, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Toretha ]

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
What's a pine needle basket? I've never heard of it before.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

It's almost Christmas - I thought I'd revive this - maybe it will help those of us that aren't sure what to get people get some creative ideas flowing!

Here's some bags I've made in the last year or so.

http://members.sparedollar.com/Belle0511/Abigal.JPG

http://members.sparedollar.com/Belle0511/gym7.JPG

And these are tooth fairy pillows:

http://members.sparedollar.com/Belle0511/tf2e.JPG

http://members.sparedollar.com/Belle0511/toothfairy2-copy.jpg

By the way, this isn't advertising - I'm backed up on personal projects and won't be selling any items on Ebay anytime soon! But...I wouldn't be adverse to shopping if some jatraqueros have wares they will be offering!

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
:jaw drops:

Wow. I can only wish I were that creative. Those bags and pillows are awesome! I mean, I'm still back at knitting scarves, when I do anything creative at all.

Though I promise, someday I will finish my awesome Greece scrapbook. [Smile] Yeah.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Carrie, please keep in mind that I own a hideously expensive embroidery machine that was practically given to me by a family friend that does all the hard stuff for me. I can't take credit for any of the embroidery, I just thread it and push a button. [Wink]
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, are you saying that for the fairy on the pillow, all you have to do is push a button? The pattern is in the machine?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Yes, that is correct. I buy the design - in this case I downloaded it from a website for a fee, and then I just have to push the button, and when it comes to a color stop, change the thread.

The designs run from $1.00 apiece up to $9.99, the ones I normally buy though you can usually get bundled sets of designs for less. I also only buy designs that I can reproduce on items for sale, so I don't get in copyright trouble. [Smile]

Edit: I left out a step. I download the design, then I have translation software and a card reader that hooks up via USB. The software writes the design to the card, and I take the card and put it in the machine. Some of the newer and sexier embroidery machines can read directly from a CD.

My software will also take a jpg or a scanned image and convert it into a stichery file. The software was more than what I paid for the machine, but I got lucky - a family friend upgraded to a real sexy model and I got her cast off machine for a song.

[ November 04, 2004, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Belle ]

zgator
Member # 3833

I know technology is capable of far more complicated things than this, but for some reason, this just floors me. I remember my Mom working on cross stitch when we would go on our cross country road trip vacations. She would work for months on one piece.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I know. It's kinda sad in a way.

One reason I've gotten into crazy quilting, is because even with the machine to do most of the seams for you, it still takes time cutting and piecing, and most of the decorative work is still done by hand.

But I have little patience for hand sewing of any kind. My love for the process stems from the design - once I finish creating it in my mind I want to see that vision become reality as fast as possible so I can move on to something else. Probably my ADD. [Big Grin]

zgator
Member # 3833

For the few pieces of furniture I've built, I've used stock molding. I'm sure with time and the right tools, I could create the molding myself, but to me, that's only part of the overall piece. That's not what I want to spend my time doing. It seems similar.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh oh! I have have a craft now!. I designed a set for the Sam Shepherd play Buried Child. It's all broken down with the wallpaper hanging off the walls all stained and ripped. It's cool, if I do say so myself. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's still impressive. Even if you are a cheater [Wink]

Truthfully, I didn't know machines like that existed.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
ooh! I have a cool painting I did a while ago...too bad I dont have a camera...or a picture of my painting [Frown]
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
I make ceramic tile mosaics. Really tacky ones that are slightly below Motel 6 standards. But at least its not much fun and I can cut my fingers to shreds.
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, who are Emily and Lydia? I'm asking because my name is Lydia, and my sister's name is Emily. And while there are a lot of Emily's out there, there aren't many Lydia's.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Emily is my daughter - many of my sample items are hers. Lydia is my six year old niece, same story. When I make stuff to sell I usually offer it customized, but make one first for my kids - so the same names always crop up. [Smile]
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
*twilight zone music*

I have a friend named Emily who has a sister Lydia... creepy.

And everyone's stuff looks awesome!!

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
And there's the family from Lovelock. [Smile]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Couple scarves I did this week, both are silk/rayon velvet hand dyed.

http://members.sparedollar.com/Belle0511/cut-scarf2-002.jpg

http://members.sparedollar.com/Belle0511/cut-scarves-001.jpg

Closeup:

http://members.sparedollar.com/Belle0511/cut-scarves-004.jpg

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.