FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Craftspeople (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hatrack Craftspeople
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle... WOW!!!! Those scarves are simply stunning. I love the richness of the colors.

The mustard color scarf with the leaf pattern looks as if it could be worn by an actress in a scene from one of those romantic movies set in New York City in the Fall. The red one is just so beautiful with the swirl patterns.

I was wondering, have you thought of doing a scarf in silver or a gray colored material in the same pattern as the red scarf?

How exactly did you make them, if you don't mind my asking?

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
larisse, that's pretty funny - given that the abstract pattern in black/grey is my next project! Great minds....

I can't claim much credit for the scarves - I buy 'em like that. The only thing I do is dye them.

The reason the colors are so rich is I use professional quality dyes - not RIT or any other cr*p you could buy at a supermarket. The sad thing is - good quality dyes are less expensive than stuff like RIT - because it's much more concentrated. You just gotta know where to get it and be willing to buy in bulk.

I buy the scarves in bulk, too, cheaper that way. I sell them occasionally, I mean I don't work on dye projects every day, but when I have a chance I do some. Those two are up on Ebay right now, and I'm listing a bunch of hand-painted silk scarves later. We had a real sunny day Wednesday, so the twins and I went outside and painted scarves in the sun. Been experimenting with darker colors - I haven't done that much before, but tried to work with deep teals, browns, greens, oranges. I'll put up pics of the painted ones later if anyone's interested.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Shameless promotion:

I, alas, am not a crafty person. My fiancee, however, is! She's a quasi-Hatracker, doesn't have a username, but has met about a half-dozen Hatrackers.

She has a new web site for her dry needle-felting:

http://www.karenkrafts.com

Check it out [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Wow! She is very talented. I am impressed. [Smile]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Update: Both my scarves sold! I'm so excited! I didn't really expect to sell them, there are a lot of velvel scarves on sale at Ebay. The first one went for the opening bid, but the second one had a mini bidding war! Made a good profit on the first - and a fantastic profit on the second. Guess I gotta list some more.
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Belle!!! It's a great feeling when someone buys something you made with your own hands. (Whoa... how cliche does that sound... hehehe.)

Would you mind sharing with us the auction urls for the next time you place more scarves up for auction?

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
*echoes larisse* The colors are perfect.

And what precious ornaments!! I love the expressions [Big Grin]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.