FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Are you really a girl? Gender MIx Up on Hatrack (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Are you really a girl? Gender MIx Up on Hatrack
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
When I first joined Hatrack I thought Shan was a guy (because she posted on the other side and I assumed she was named after the Ender's Game character). [Embarrassed]

A lot of people also assumed I'm a girl. Can't blame them, since Vwiggin is short for Valentine Wiggin. I changed my name to Beren One Hand, but that just invited a lot of onanism jokes.

Does anyone else here feel they have a misleading name on hatrack?

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

I also thought Primal Curve was a really, really hot girl. *purrrrrr*
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
People always mistake me for a girl because of my name...errr....
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been mistakenly thought to be a woman by several people here on Hatrack.

I think it's my legs...

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
vwiggin I have to say that in my mind you were female.

I'm pretty sure I was "status unknown" but then most people are, that was sorted out rather quickly though.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the beard, isn't it?

Damnit.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, everyone knows I'm a guy...

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Aren't you? Seriously, I'm not joking people. This thread is to clarify things, not make them more confusing for my feelbe little mind!

BTW, I also thought RRR was a guy.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Aren't you?
*laugh* She didn't used to be! [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Space can be a lonely place I guess. [Wink]
rivka
Member # 4859

[ROFL]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
vwiggin, I thought you were a girl because I thought your screen name was a reference to Valentine Wiggin.

Oh, you said that in your first post. Never mind. [Blushing]

[ October 12, 2004, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Megan ]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
KarlEd called me a "he" the other day. One other person in the past assumed I was a guy. Oh, and when I started posting as "Trisha the Severe Hottie" everyone thought I was Pat, Nathan, or Jonathon. I mean, nothing like adopting a very unambiguous name to get people guessing the wrong gender.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Don't worry Megan. My confusing name is just an evil ploy to get Lalo's guard down. We all know he has a soft spot for da ladies. [Smile]
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
A bunch of people thought I was a guy on my early days on the 'rack. It's so trying to assert your femininity at times...
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I know! Honestly people.

[Smile]

<-- is a she

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

OK, Dragon was an easy one. The first time I met her online she linked to a foobonic picture. What a show off. [Roll Eyes]

:looks at picture: Well, I guess I would too if I looked like that. [Wink]

[ October 12, 2004, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: vwiggin ]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It was quite a while before I realized that mack is a girl.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Did the finger give it away?
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what made me think nate (T_Smith) was a girl. Some story about a water balloon fight, maybe?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
My name should be unambiguous enough for anyone who knows who and what the original "Verily" was. Of course, sometimes it seems like the most unambiguous names are the most misleading. So just in case anyone still isn't sure, I'll clarify that yes, I am a guy.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I have mistaken for male on hatrack so many times I've stopped counting.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a girl. It's generally about 50% of the time that people mistake me for a guy online.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I was mistaken for a girl once, something that I used to think was funny but now suspect I wear as a point of some kind of pride considering how often I bring it up. Wonder what that means?
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
*Request* What is Icarus? I've never figured that out. And I'm a guy.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

The name Icarus always reminds me of those "wings" commercials on TV. And I don't mean Red Bull.
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus is a guy. And so am I.

Edit: So what does vwiggin stand for anyway?! Valentine, and you just like playing with us?

[ October 12, 2004, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Corwin ]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Valentine was my favorite character in the Enderverse. She's patient, kind, articulate, and insightful. Everything I'm not, so naturally I loved her. [Big Grin]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I *think* I'm a girl. <checks> Yep, I am. Huh. Go figure. [Confused]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
something tells me that certain people will get on my case if I don't post here...but for the record, I'm a guy
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] [Laugh] quidscribis [ROFL]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Really Reiko? Ooops. It's the Demosthenes/Valentine thing again.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Well, in our defense, the original Demosthenes was a guy and Valentine is a guy's name.

<checks also... hey, I've been looking for that...>

[ October 12, 2004, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: vwiggin ]

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*Request* What is Icarus? I've never figured that out. And I'm a guy.
I'm female, 19, and hawt. Wanna cyber?

<3

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm often thought to be female, I'm not sure if that's because of my rather non-partisan name (so to speak) or if it's related to the fact that half of my high school thought I was gay. I'm niether, just so you know. [Razz] [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Personally, I was really disappointed when I found out your girlfriend's name wasn't Susie.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I also thought Primal Curve was a really, really hot girl. *purrrrrr*
I would have thought my disregard for other people's feelings would have been a dead giveaway.

Ah well. Primal Curve is still more masculine than Perelandra.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say assuming female is actually the safe standard in this type of forum, for it is in general demographically populated more heavily by females. At least from what I know, which is nothing but a speck.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

"I would have thought my disregard for other people's feelings would have been a dead giveaway."

Umm... that's exactly how hot girls act. Well, that's how they act towards ME anyway. [Smile]

Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
the original Demosthenes was a guy and Valentine is a guy's name.
Well, I know about the fact that Demosthenes was a man (obviously), but I would never call any poor, unsuspecting boy 'Valentine', so in my mind it is a girl's name.

Also, "Reiko" is sort of non-gendered, so coupled together...

Actually come to think of it I'd probably never give anyone the name Valentine. Hm.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Guess.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Set anything on fire lately, Carrie? [Big Grin]

*Looks around suspiciously for pigs blood*

Edited to add: pssst, Beren - that's SHEN - with an "e" that you're thinking of . . .

[ October 12, 2004, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
::rolls eyes::

Yup, never heard that one before. Though it does come in handy when people ask how to spell my name...

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, I know about the fact that Demosthenes was a man (obviously), but I would never call any poor, unsuspecting boy 'Valentine', so in my mind it is a girl's name.

Also, "Reiko" is sort of non-gendered, so coupled together...

Actually come to think of it I'd probably never give anyone the name Valentine. Hm.

Non-gendered is constantly worth some fun, I find...
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Hemaphrodite.

quote:
Umm... that's exactly how hot girls act. Well, that's how they act towards ME anyway.
Good point. I never had that problem myself of course, but I can see where you're coming from.

Hmmm... I don't think I've quite gotten my masculinity across enough. <asserts>

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
<----- Has been mistaken for a guy. Must be the deep voice.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
That was your 777th post fiazko!

I'm a girl. I think most people know this, but since I corrected someone last week it bares repeating.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the typo Blac - it made my night. [Big Grin]

And for the record, Mack isn't a girl - she's a sword with an attitude.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
that's SHEN
and shid! Shuven!
vwiggin
Member # 926

"Edited to add: pssst, Beren - that's SHEN - with an "e" that you're thinking of . . ."

I thought you were a guy, and a bad speller. [Razz]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.