FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Debate #3 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Debate #3
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Here it is. Final election time. The dynamic of the race has changed radically over the course of the last few weeks. George has some serious catching up to do. Anyone think he can do it? Who's got their sets turned on to the pre-election coverage already?
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure George Bush didn't want him invited [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think a non D/R has been invited since the "mistake" of '92.

No one thought an insane, Frank-Purdue looking millionare could do well against established debaters. Perot proved them wrong.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya but who are they to subjectively decide whether the public should hear Nader's opinion? Who knows, maybe it would've turned this election around from whoever it was favoring.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

They (Dems and Repubs) are the ones who organize the debate. They raised the standards after '92. It's a rigged deal.

Nader will be lucky if he can get on the ballot in 40 states.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

That's why I think we should get rid of the whole party system and have the candidates run on issues alone.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
^
|
|
Agrees, wishes it were so.

You know, this is an interesting first question: "Will our children ever live in a world as safe as the one we grew up in?"

Obviously, both are going to twist the question to tout their policy, but something else comes to mind: was the world "they" -- they being their generation-- grew up, was it really safe?

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

How does the English company that had contaminated vaccine underscore the problem with our health care system?

Good segue to the prefab answer, though.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

Heh-- Bush is controlling the podium-banging, this time.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Does Kerry get a kickback from BCBS now?
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

*snort*

--j_k

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
The world IS safer then the one they grew up in. The cold war was no joke, folks.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
George Bush is doing much, much better out of the gate than John Kerry. His delivery is better, his energy is higher, and his project sincerity is better. He's saying things that actually make sense and don't sound like pre-fab talking points and he's actually playing back the balls that John Kerry is hitting to him. Senatior Kerry is going to have to turn things around if he's not going to lose this debate.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

"Pay-Go" [ROFL] There's the soundbite.
Speed
Member # 5162

Why is he talking about school? 50 year olds who lost their jobs don't want to go back to school.
pooka
Member # 5003

"Pay-go Pay-go". Wasn't that some fruity dance the redheaded guy kept pestering Barney Fife about in "Strictly Ballroom"?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkWizard
Member # 6186

- posted      Profile for DarkWizard   Email DarkWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
uhm i might have heard it wrong but did kerry just say something about a fictional character? [Confused]
Posts: 42 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
Why is he talking about school? 50 year olds who lost their jobs don't want to go back to school.
Because he can't answer the actual question. But man, what a bad way to point out that he dodged it. Come on man, say something like, "I think I might have missed something there. That question was about jobs, right? Why was he talking about schools and not about jobs?"

He's boring the crap out of me.

[ October 13, 2004, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
I've definitely lost assistance through Pell Grants and my brother didn't get any even though we needed more assistance. I'm believing Kerry there.
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

Bush is playing the Keep It Simple card. Say it again and again...

--j_k

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

You can believe both of them. They're both right. President Bush is just being very deceptive.
Speed
Member # 5162

Bush is starting to get high-pitched and defensive. He started out the debate okay, but he's already going downhill.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

"I don't know."

That was the best, clearest answer Bush has given all night, no sarcasm intended. Saying either yes or no would kill him.

--j_k

Speed
Member # 5162

Am I wrong for laughing at Kerry when he described the Constitution as "unbelievable"?
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Bullcrap. The bishops don't have the authority to declare that a sin. If the bishops are actually doing that (and I wouldn't be suprised if the ones doing are the same three who said they'd deny John Kerry communion), than they are exceeding their authority.
GaalD
Member # 6222

I'm not sure who's winning yet, but Kerry seems to have been using one strategy through all 3 debates, focus on the state. So far it seems like every debate he's been talking about the statistics of that individual state where the debate is taking place. I thought it was a good idea at first but it's not as if only people from that state are listening, this is televised nationally. Also, I don't know how well the moderator is doing, it seem like the questions he's asking are just questions to put the candidate's feet on fire rather than actually try to get some decent answers here. Last thing, Kerry's hand motions are boring me, same thing over and over and over. That's all, sorry for analyzing pointless parts of the debate.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

You know what I'd like to see? I'd like to see a debate format where when one of them makes a claim, that claim gets checked and we can see the results of that check. I think it would change the debates drastically.

Candidate A: <blah blah blah blah>

Moderator: Can you source that?

A: err...no.

Moderator: Because we checked up on it and your information is completely innaccurate. Were you trying to deceive us or are you just badly informed?

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

Gah.

Kerry: "More illegal immigrants are coming across the border now than they were before September 11th."

Bush: "No, that's not true. The borders are more secure now."

See, the thing is I have a feeling I'll never get the "truth" on that.

--j_k

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

What the heck? Is the President's answer to any jobs question to talk about education?
Speed
Member # 5162

Minimum wage... reading... yeah, that answered the question.

Increasing minimum wage has a negative impact on small business and jobs. I'm not saying we shouldn't increase minimum wage, but if he didn't want to, there are arguments he could have made that didn't have anything to do with reading.

Speed
Member # 5162

They're both just answering whichever question they wish the moderator would have asked. I wish he would start calling them on it.

Also, points for Bush (finally) for answering the question and shutting up instead of rambling for the rest of the time period like he did in debate #1.

[ October 13, 2004, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Zamphyr
Member # 6213

This is like watching a horribly coached soccer game.

While both sides think it would be theorectically nice to win, they're really playing not to lose.

Speed
Member # 5162

The best way to protect people from guns is to wait until someone gets shot and then try to catch them?
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

And this is why I think George Bush could give a crap about actually supporting our troops. "I talked to them and they're all happy about this." Does anyone believe that this is true? Would we even need a stop-loss order if these reservists were itching to go "serve their country" for 2 or 3 tours of duty? These people deserve as much support as we can give them. They deserve to get to go back to their families after serving in dangerous and stress conditions. Does anyone really think that the troops, upon being told "Yeah, we told you that you'd be going home in a week, but instead you're going to be here for another six months...or a year...or, well, you'll get home someitme." responded with cheering support?
Speed
Member # 5162

Oh, no, Kerry's being born again.
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

The President looked just as shocked as you sound about Kerry's finding faith.
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
"finding" faith? Didn't he just say he went to a Catholic school? That he was an altar boy?

[Wink]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

And now, the Oprah moment.
AbeLinclon
Member # 6923

- posted      Profile for AbeLinclon   Email AbeLinclon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm.. The debate's on what are you doing online...wait what AM "I" doing online?...

I see John Kerry saying I have a plan. What is that Plan? "I will do this., I will do this, I have a plan to do this..." wehat?

*runs off to watch the debate*

Posts: 42 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Is there some humor I'm missing in Abe's SN or did he simply misspell Lincoln?
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I see Kerry repeatedly saying "This is a problem, and I'm going to fix it by doing X, Y, and Z, followed by a few Qs and Ns.". And Bush responding with, "See, he doesn't have a plan!"
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

...and that's a wrap.

--j_k

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I don't know if there's any point in calling this debate. It was just bad. If I had to label winners or losers, I'd say the America people lost. Voter turnout will be lower because of this debate.
RRR
Member # 6601

- posted      Profile for RRR   Email RRR         Edit/Delete Post 
It looked like Kerry had one of the Lance Armstrong Foundation bracelets on.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

I just want to say kudos to the govt for C-SPAN. Split screen the entire time, with the current question they were "answering" displayed across the bottom.

Also, they're airing phone calls afterwards with viewers take. Very entertaining.

Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm... this one is tough to call, I think.

Kerry was being far too nice (not unusual for him.) When Bush came out and claimed his "global test" was a veto for other countries, Kerry should have come back more aggressively - Bush was standing right next to him just a week ago when he emphatically pointed out that was not his global test. Bush needs to be held accountable for his campaign of attack ads, just as much as for his record.

Kerry also still failed to adequately explain his payment plan, and also should have mentioned that Bush is really the big government candidate here, rather than Kerry - that Bush's plan is more costly than his own, and that Bush's wars make up such a significant part of the deficit. In general, Kerry missed a lot of opportunities.

Bush, on the other hand, just didn't sound very credible on anything - just because his economic record undermined most of what he said. He kept dodging to education to escape questions about jobs. The No Child Left Behind laws are actually job laws? In an abstract sense maybe, but the people aren't going to buy that.

Both candidates looked good on the "mushy" questions - abouts religion and their women. I didn't think, though, that the question about women in their personal lives was substantive enough to warrant being the final question in the final debate. Aren't there more important things to discuss - things where the candidates will actually illustrate differences of viewpoint, rather than give out anecdotes?

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

RRR: I think he did-- there was an article about the LiveSTRONG bracelets in my school's paper recently, and he was shown wearing one.

--j_k

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I must say, I loved that Bush pulled out a new program. People familiar with how he operates now know that he has little intention of doing anything substantial on immigration.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Xap, Bush supporters felt much the same after Debate 1- Why wasn't he more aggressive? But the risk of seeming unpleasant is too great.

P.S. Squicky is right, this thread is sinking like a stone.

[ October 13, 2004, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Kerry's answers displayed more thought and a clearer understanding of specific issues. Kerry didn't do anything wrong, yet he came across as inspiring trust and vision. Bush has four years, a huge deficit, an energy lobby, and a divided nation to run on. As with the other two debates, Kerry came across as more competent, and with the thought process befitting a President of the United States.

[ October 14, 2004, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.