FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Movies that were better than the book (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Movies that were better than the book
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm probably gonna get lynched for saying this, but I couldn't even read a chapter of Harry Potter without falling asleep, and I'm an insomniac (Diagnosed by a real doctor even).
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
While I think the Fight Club movie was amazing, and was an extremly difficult book to turn into a movie(understatement), the movie was NOT better than the book. A great adaptation..Yes. Better...No.

Though this is just my opinion. You don't have to agree. [Smile]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh! adam, I loved the movie "Blow." I had no idea it was a book as well. Who wrote it?

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1376

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, whoever backed up Harry Potter. I thought I was going to be run out of town...err.. board.
Posts: 154 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but you're obviously somebody who likes Terry Goodkind, so who's going to trust your judgment?

[Wink]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just_me
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for just_me           Edit/Delete Post 
Bourne Identity... I don't know why exactly but I just think the movie is better.
Posts: 409 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1376

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, that was a cheap shot, but fair.

I'd just like to point out that picking my SN came long before the later books have come out. It was in the 1st and 2nd book era... and THOSE were good.

Posts: 154 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Fight Club really just WAS the book. Almost all of the lines were taken straight out of it. The only thing they changed was the ending, and Chuch Palahniuk said that that ending fitted the tone of the book better than the one he had written.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
WARNING: This post could be damaging to your health and you are urged not to take it seriously.

The animated version of The Hobbit.

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flyby
Member # 3630

- posted      Profile for flyby   Email flyby         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, that was beautiful! I loved that post, little doctor! And yet, sorry Tolkien fans, I agree! (And the LoTR movies were better). Shoot me now.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Contact. Carl Sagan sucks at scifi. Awkward prose, my goodness!

As for Harry Potter - yeesh! Ye are the devil incarnate!

[/creepy music]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*shudder* All of you are wrong.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryoko
Member # 4947

- posted      Profile for Ryoko   Email Ryoko         Edit/Delete Post 
The Godfather

Also, it is one of the few movies for which the sequel may be better than the original.

Posts: 194 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Cry, the Beloved Country.

The movie is almost exactly the same as the book, but more streamlined. And you get to hear James Earl Jones. That can tip the scales in any contest.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read Contact. Maybe his prose is awkward (although I didn't notice it), but at least the story makes sense in the book.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second The Godfather.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
LotR???? ARE YOU ON DRUGS? And if so, what drugs are so powerful as to create such gross intereference with judgement???
Agrees with Toretha. [Eek!] [ROFL]

quote:
Whoever said LOTR or Harry Potter has been added to my axis of evil
Agrees with Beren, too. [Razz]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go with The Godfather and Forest Gump. Especially the latter, as Tom Hank's simple-minded Gump had little to do with the novel's moron.

Does it make a difference which version you encounter first? While I love the movie The Princess Bride, I'd already loved the book for years.

Then again, I read LOTR many years back and frankly I prefer the movies. When I read the books I tended to skip past the songs and the page after page of exposition, and that's a lot of pages. I do miss Tom Bombadil, though.

Better books: What Dreams May Come, The Queen of the Damned

Better movies: Psycho, Blade Runner, Jaws

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
margarita
Member # 6856

- posted      Profile for margarita   Email margarita         Edit/Delete Post 
The original King Kong (movie) was better than the book. I remember wanting to read the book after I saw the movie, so my dad got it from the library and we read it together (I was little). And I was disappointed.

Something entirely different happened with East of Eden. I watched it because I had just seen Rebel Without A Cause, and had fallen madly in love with James Dean (that passed after I watched Giant - thankfully, I watched Giant after Rebel and EoE). Liked East of Eden so much I asked for the book for Christmas, not realizing it was Steinbeck (my exposure to Steinbeck in school up through 9th grade had left me with an intense loathing of the man), and that the movie only covers a very small portion of the book.

So I opened the book Christmas morning, started reading, and emerged from my book-induced trance four days later. I probably would have finished it more quickly, but my parents made me stop for meals, sleep and obligatory family "togetherness".

Loved it. It blew away the movie. I couldn't even imagine Dean as Cal Trask while I was reading it - he became someone completely different. And I adored Lee, who isn't even IN the movie.

So, while I do love the movie, for its own sake, the book is far better. Really, I love the pair, and how one was made into the other - I was fascinated by the translation of literature into film, and made that the topic of every school project after that (when I could get away with it).

Maybe I'll translate literature to film as a profession. After I do everything else I want to do with my life. [Smile]

Posts: 54 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elfenn
Member # 7151

- posted      Profile for Elfenn   Email Elfenn         Edit/Delete Post 
My imagination is built on LOTR. So, when i've seen the movie, i felt (to feel... ???) a shock. I wonder how Peter Jackson can see in my mind... [Confused]

Anyway, i'm not able to say if the movie is better than the book... Les deux sont des chefs-d'oeuvres (i don't know how to translate it).

Posts: 5 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does it make a difference which version you encounter first? While I love the movie The Princess Bride, I'd already loved the book for years.
I loved the movie, but loved the book much more when I read it after the movie.

I think the Princess Bride movie was close to the best movie possible that could be made from that book. But the book added a whole extra layer of humor, insight, and plot that couldn't be made put into the movie without ruining it.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The biggest and most inexplicable change in The Princess Bride from the book to the movie? At the end of the book, the princess saves them all from a last round of guards. She does something.

In the movie, she's pretty much useless.

But I'll forgive almost anything for the sword fight.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer LOTR movies to the books, but I wouldn't say they were better. Different would be better.

I definately think that the books of Harry Potter are much much better that the first two movies. The third movie, although it is quite different, rivalled the book from which was adapted for level of enjoyment.

But the book is still better.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
My old fencing instructor rated it very highly.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed the LOTR movies tolerably well until Legolas skated down the stairs shooting arrows. After that point, I had it in for Jackson.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
The Shining

The Wizard of Oz

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree East of Eden is better than the movie, which is wonderful. But but but, Giant is Dean's best movie, I really like it.

*off to stare at the "body language" keychain for a few more hours* (only allegra should get that joke)

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm inclined to agree that Fight Club the movie was better than the book, even if they were really similar. Sorry, but Palhinuk just isn't a great writer.

By the way, Fight Club is basically the story of a fascist organization.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
MOVIE QUOTE!!!

quote:
Moby Dick
"They made a movie out of that!?"

Sorry, I couldn't resist... [ROFL]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally can't think of a movie I liked better than the book version...
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
The Scarlett Letter.

Anything is better than that book.

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Kaioshin, having seen the movie, I'm not sure...

I like the LotR movies better because I can experience all of them in 12 hours while it takes me about 12 weeks to finish the books.

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
LOTR?? Harry Potter?!?! Clearly whoever said that is so innundated with modern TV/Movie culture that they just don't know how to enjoy a good read anymore. Long books, long reads, ARE GOOD!! The longer the better, cause it means more story and more time in that wonderful alternate universe. Movies can never, ever, ever come close to that. Especially movies where they take long books and make em single movies, becuase they are always too short, and leave far too much out. I love rereading LOTR and the Harry Potter books over and over, becuase thats several weeks where I can escape into that universe. The movies don't touch that.

Though PJ did a darned good job at making the LOTR movies. They were good for movies, but still don't come close to the book.

In general I don't think you can compare the two, becuase they are completely different mediums. And I like books better on the whole than movies.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackcatwings
Member # 7077

- posted      Profile for blackcatwings   Email blackcatwings         Edit/Delete Post 
I did not like any of the HP movies better than the books! I particularly loathed the third book. [Mad]

I thought the count of monte cristo was better than the book. The ending of movie is so much happier. [Smile]

Posts: 22 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackcatwings
Member # 7077

- posted      Profile for blackcatwings   Email blackcatwings         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like any of the HP movies were any better than the books. I particularly hated the third movie. [Mad]

I thought the count of monte cristo was better than the book. The ending of the movie was much happier.

Posts: 22 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
Election.

It's not even close.

Edit:
Okay, I noted that already. But it's a point worth making twice.

[ December 21, 2004, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: MattB ]

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
all of you are fools.......the only movie that is better than the book(that i can think of) if Forrest Gump......there may be others but who cares..............LOTR movies were better than the books too i almost forgotted...i used a nonsense word......because the books were too description filled.....i read really fast.......like 200 pg an hour but those books took me months of time......they were good.....but way too slow(moving i mean)......the movies were better they made more sense of things

[ December 21, 2004, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackcatwings
Member # 7077

I liked the details, but i'm a slow reader. I like to just soak it in. I did love the movies though.
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
Lemony Snicket's A Serious of Unfortunate Events

The movie had personality and a smidgen of depth. The books did not.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"i used a nonsense word......because the books were too description filled.....i read really fast.......like 200 pg an hour"

Perhaps your problem is that, in reading too quickly for your brain, you skip over descriptive sections. [Smile]

Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Scarlett Letter.

Anything is better than that book.

I love you.

Anyway...

I personally enjoy watching the LotR movies more than I do reading the books. I just find Tolkien to be really...dry. The bext way to explain is comparing the LotR novels to a history textbook.

The Hobbit, however, is the one of the best books ever, and there is no way that Peter Jackson's version, if he ever makes it, could live up to its greatness.

Peter Pan (all of them) is better than the book, but that started out as a play anyway, so...

I haven't really watcted all that many movies based off novels I've read...

Herrm...

quote:
The longer the better, cause it means more story and more time in that wonderful alternate universe.
Assuming that all this extra time isn't just filler or info that is completely and utterly worthless to the current story. Assuming the author doesn't get caught up in his own invention that he is unable to restrain himself from assing in little details that don't need telling, or even add anything if told.

Its a big problem in fantasy. The authors come up with these worlds and places and stuff that they seem to have to take the reader to every location just so they can show it, regardless of the importance of the chapter. Tolkien had it so bad that he couldn't even finish the book without adding appendices to tell us of stuff he couldn't figure out a way to put in the actual novel.

[ December 21, 2004, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: Ginol_Enam ]

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Peter Pan (all of them) is better than the book, but that started out as a play anyway, so...
Ummmm..........no it didn't. The book by J.M. Barrie inspired the plays and movies(all of them). And I actually like that book more than the Disney version. The rest of the movies are somewhat better, but the plays aren't better.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
No... JM Barrie wrote the play.. Then he wrote a novel called "Peter and Wendy" based off of the play...
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a pretty good review of the new version of Peter Pan , one of the best movies I have ever seen.

The reviewer is spot on, although I don't usually agree with him on most things..... [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
Foust:
quote:
By the way, Fight Club is basically the story of a fascist organization.
How is Project Mayhem fascist?

I agree that the movie was better than the book, but sometimes the ridiculous, ham-handed 'Jack fights himself OMG' scene makes me change my mind.

Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
Runaway Jury
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.