FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Firefly Questions (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Firefly Questions
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*another bump* for JemmyGrove

It's so fun to read these threads after ignoring them for over a year until I could finally watch the show! [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I've been rewatching Firefly. Again.

Tonight was "The Message". I don't know who the actor who played Tracy was, but he did an amazing job.

Really good episode.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
I lent the series to my mom so she could finish watching it. Now I want it back so I can watch it again (and so I can show it to my boyfriend, who had never heard of it but keeps asking about the various FIrefly-related t-shirts and posters I have around.)
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercomplicated
Member # 5160

- posted      Profile for supercomplicated   Email supercomplicated         Edit/Delete Post 
I had heard a lot about this show and finally had a chance to watch it yesterday (borrowed the DVDs from a friend.) I've now seen all 14 episodes... [Smile]
Posts: 22 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
My fave is "Out of Gas." I liked starting in the middle and getting half the story through flashbacks. Leaves me with hope that we'll eventually get the low-down on Wash and Book.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

Forgot to mention, my favorite episode is definitely "Jaynestown". Anytime I'm feeling slightly down, I watch it and am immediately cheered up.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Do you sing along with the ballad?
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I started watching just after the first of the year. After I watched them all on Netflix, I bought the series and the movie. My favorite is also Out of Gas, but they're all good. The only one I haven't watched multiple times is "Bushwacked".
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

quote:
Absolutely.
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard not to.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
Jayne! The man they call. . . Jaaaaaaaayyyyne! He robbed from the rich and he gave to the poor! Stood up to the man, and gave him what for! Our love for him now ain't hard to explain! The hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne!

Scary that I did that all from memory, no?

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Solo Wing Pixy
Member # 9489

- posted      Profile for Solo Wing Pixy   Email Solo Wing Pixy         Edit/Delete Post 
I pulled Firefly out again today also, actually. Coincidence? Yeah probably... Watched Ariel, my second fav, behind Objects In Space.

"And what about the cordical electrodes?"
"Um... we forgot em."

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
"Mercy's the mark of a great man."

Poke.

"Guess I'm just a good man."

Poke.

"I'm alright."

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend came over with his kids Saturday so we couod see Pirates, and after we got home a quick runthrough of the episodes revealed he ahd missed seeing "Safe," so we were, of course, obligated to watch it. And then he realized his kids hadn't seen any of them, so we started at the pilot and watched a few more (although he had his kids leave during the intial Inara-in-bed scenes).
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
lol Chris. My fiance got me the DVD's for my birthday (such a smart girl) and We watched through them all up until The Message.

"Ariel" or "War Stories" has my vote for best episode.

I wish they would keep making movies.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
So do we all. Given Serenity's poor performance at the box office, though, I doubt it'll happen.

Still, I wouldn't have thought that a movie based on a half of a season's worth of a TV show would get made into a movie at all, so you never know.

Chris, I haven't been paying much attention to the Firefly fanbase recently. Are many people still holding out hope for more movies, or for direct-to-DVD episodes?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
From Wikipedia:

had hoped that if Serenity was successful, it might lead either to a revival of the television series or a film franchise (colloquially referred to as the "Big Damn Trilogy", or BDT). The former was always unlikely, since Fox still owns the Firefly television rights and Joss Whedon refuses to work for Fox again.[46] Fans' hopes for further theatrical films appear to have been partially dashed by Serenity's poor box office showing. However, on December 1, 2005, IGN Filmforce reported that Universal had expressed an interest in making a Serenity TV movie for broadcast on the Sci Fi Channel (which is owned by Universal), and eventual DVD sale. It is expected that commissioning of a television sequel would be contingent on strong DVD sales of Serenity.[47] Joss Whedon, in response to the many rumors and speculations, has always said that nothing will be decided until the DVD sales are known.

In February 2006, a rumor swept the internet that a number of the starring actors were seen emerging from Paramount Studios.[48] This rumor has led some to believe that a continuation of the story may be planned after all. However, Joss Whedon himself debunked the rumor in a post at WHEDONesque.com.[49]

On June 23, 2006 a number of fans organized "Serenity Day", spreading word to all fans to purchase a copy of Serenity on in an attempt to convince Universal that a sequel would be profitable. The significance of this day is that June 23 2006 is the one-year anniversary of the third and final advance screening of Serenity prior to its release, and also Joss Whedon's birthday. The impact of the event could be seen from Serenity reaching #2 in the Amazon DVD Charts.[50], the highest ranking the DVD reached since January 16. [51]

I think the prospects are high actually.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd prefer a series of direct to dvd episodes, personally. Joss needs time to develop his characters that a movie doesn't give.

I wanna spend time with Mal and Kaylee and Jayne... Not watch them go through the "pacing"...

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Thanks BlackBlade! I was unaware of any of that.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Thanks BlackBlade! I was unaware of any of that.

[Edit--Well, I knew about Serenity Day, of course, and the fact that it caused Serenity DVD sales to spike, but I didn't know the rest of it]
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
I'd prefer a series of direct to dvd episodes, personally. Joss needs time to develop his characters that a movie doesn't give.

I absolutely agree.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I had this wild thought the other day of what would happen if, without warning, there was a t.v. ad for a Firefly miniseries.

I concluded that half the people I knew on Hatrack would scream like little girls. [Smile]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
So...ummm...what makes their butts glow?
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I see Firefly as just tettering on the edge of sucess and it needs just a bit of a push from its fans. Several made for TV movies to me really are a possibility. If only we could find a celebrity that likes firefly and could sink about 10 million into the project.

There are plenty of TV shows that are far worse than Firefly and they get plenty of air time.

I am not sure why Fox continues to posess the rights to Firefly TV episodes, is it really hard for somebody to buy it from them?

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I haven't been paying much attention to the Firefly fanbase recently. Are many people still holding out hope for more movies, or for direct-to-DVD episodes?

There's hope, but it's slim. While the direct-to-DVD is an option, and one that would require a rabid cult base to work, Joss is knee deep in Wonder Woman right now (as it were) and already has another project lined up (the movie Goners) afterwards. Serenity would require a huge initial and ongoing budget, which is one of the things that caused FOX to can it.

He has said there will be another comic book miniseries which will probably be next year, and there's still an original novel deal hanging out there, waiting. But no plans for more movies or more TV.

Me, I'd like to see an animated version. Much cheaper to produce, it would still have the same dialogue and excellent plots, and most of the cast has already done voice work elsewhere. And voice work is fast and easy, especially for a cast that's as comfortable with each other. Just commit to an hour show, pick a good animation style, and it would be a hit.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Why come up with a cool name like "Kaywinette" if you're just going to call her Kaylee?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by skillery:
Why come up with a cool name like "Kaywinette" if you're just going to call her Kaylee?

most long names are shortened, either by the person themselves, or by everyone they meet. Its often too hard to fight against the constant attempts to shorten names when friends speak to you, and most people just do not care too much.

Frederick = Fred
Harrison = Harry
Bartholomew = Bart
Jonathan = Jon
etc etc

I have met very few AMERICANS that have kept the long elegant names their parents gave them intact. My sisters name is Alexandra and she became Lexy almost instantly. My brother is Gregory, and he has become Greg.

In some parts of Europe there is more of a feeling of pride in ones name so when my niece (Mary Katherine) was in Italy they all said "Maria Katerina" here in the US most people call her MK or Mary Katherine as her parents refuse to let anyone call her just Mary or just Katherine.

An animated FireFly would definately be interesting. I do not think I would appreciate a CGI one though. I think Miyazaki could create a great look for Firefly characters, though I would not let him direct it at all, as much as I love him, what makes Firefly awesome is something I do not think would translate well into his style.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Nope, gotta be Joss or Joss-picked directors. Hey, Ben Edlund has some free time...
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

It give's Kaylee's character some depth. Her nam eis Kaywinette Lee (I think) so she shortened it to Kay-Lee. Kaylee.

For example, my name is Juan, but I go by John. My friends call me Johnny though.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone picked up the Firefly comic? It's a one-shot that bridges the gap between the end of the series and the beginning of the movie. I've yet to purchase it, but I've glanced at it occasionally at the comic shop.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
You should get the Firefly comic, I really liked it....
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
It is really excellent. The cover art of the individual issues is especially beautiful (particularly the Zoe one).

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
Nope, gotta be Joss or Joss-picked directors. Hey, Ben Edlund has some free time...

Too bad. [Frown]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I managed to put it on my phone, so I can listen to it whenever I want. [Big Grin]

*crosses fingers that someone will get me Firefly on DVD for my birthday*

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.