FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » In which I spew out my political opinions (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: In which I spew out my political opinions
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Quoting myself

quote:
I challenge you to use the "search" function on this board and search "homophobe" and see how many times it actually comes up. And how many people that used the word were actually on the conservative side of the aisle. (Excluding this posts itself, I only believe one liberal poster widely known for being outrageous and who has been chastened by the mods several times has ever used the word in the last year.)

(Another interesting number is how many newbies used the word in inflammatory rhetoric)

AJ

Quoting Chad:
quote:
The correct arguement would be: "Yes it has happened in the past, but not very frequently and usually by newbies who come and go" ....You can defend that. You can't really defend it never happened and then do a search and still try to defend that stance.

That is exactly the argument I MADE, I just didn't give the numbers and left it as an excercise for the reader to verify if they wished. I NEVER said it NEVER happened.

I picked "homophobe" because it was arguably the most hurtful word in the list. And I did the search before my inital post and was surprised that other than Lalo just about everyone that mentioned it was a newbie or conservative.

To continue the excercise:
quote:
bigots, homophobes, religious zealots, right wingers, enemies of democracy or peace, or morons or duped into believing in God
Search word
"bigots": 43 hits
"bigot": 136 hits (I would expect this number to be higher because it isn't as inflammatory as the word "homophobe")

"zealot": 24 hits
"zealots": 12 hits
"religious zealot":10 hits
"religious zealots":5 hits

"right wingers": 12 hits

"enemies of democracy":3 hits
"enemy of democracy": 2 hits
"enemy of peace": 3 hits
"enemies of peace": 2 hits (one is this thread)

"morons": 42 hits
"moron": 202 hits
(the majority of the moron-type hits are totally non-political, and more that moron drove me off the road!)
"dupes, duped": 20 total and most are again non political

Those are ALL staggeringly small numbers given the amount of verbage that goes through Hatrack in a year.

AJ

[ October 21, 2004, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
I shall do as I did 50 posts ago:

Oooooh, bitchslap! GO AJ!

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Chad,

How about this:

While you didn't intend to come across as "liberal bashing" I felt it was such.

While I didn't intend on being "vitrolic" you felt it was such.

I'll apologize for the fact that you percieved my post as "vitroic". It wasn't my intent to sound so in either post.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Chad, there's some serious confusion here.

You posted an explicit analogy stating that people who do Y should not criticize other people who do Y.

As you've now clarified, the people criticizing OSC for doing Y don't do Y. None of the people who do Y have criticized OSC for doing Y here.

What was the point of posting that analogy?

Dagonee

As has been made abundantly clear, but I guess needs more clarifying:

That for the same "techniques" used by OSC, people on this board have used the same in opposition to him or his ideals.

Now I feel it is important for people to read the original post and specifically fugu's replies and Amka's replies.

None of them have anything to do with this board but Ornery and Amka's well founded angst about it.

My point, in case some missed it, is that some board members are as guilty as OSC in their "delivery" and to keep that in mind when attacking his.

Simple.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Your defense of OSC boils down to "Other people do it too."

I don't think he'd thank you for that.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My point, in case some missed it, is that some board members are as guilty as OSC in their "delivery" and to keep that in mind when attacking his.
Why should the fact that other people have qeustionable deliveries be kept in mind when by people attacking his delivery? That's the part that is unclear to me and, I think, several others in this thread.

Dagonee

[ October 21, 2004, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Would you care to elaborate as to which board members? Because you're either saying us, in which case you've been lying about not meaning us, or you're not saying us, in which case it doesn't much matter to us and so we don't need to particularly keep it in mind, and your point is essentially pointless.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

And I apologize if my post got interpreted as being aimed at Liberals, because it never was intended as such, but was intended as I have stated repeatedly now, to show that there are posters on this board who are not higher on the "moral word usage" pole than OSC as well.

Should we care? Maybe some do not. I do. Was I wrong in pointing out in a thread bashing OSC's delivery that the delivery employed by some in bashing him or ideals he espouses in this forum are just as bad?

I guess some don't see the connection and have asked. That's fine. You've asked and I answered.

And Amka, I agree with you. Am I wrong for posting that as well?

If so, I ask, what does half the posts questioning me have to do with the topic or discussion of Amka's thread?

You want to bash Chad, start a new thread, but Amka posted this and deserves to have it be a discussion of her topic and what it relates to, not me.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad,
What is the definition of bash that you are using here? It's not one I'm familiar with.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
Why should the fact that other people have qeustionable deliveries be kept in mind when by people attacking his delivery? That's the part that is unclear to me and, I think, several others in this thread.

Dagonee

Because as a poster, we don't want to be hypocrites do we?

And the simplest answer Dag I can give you is to re-read your question, and answer it yourself.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Chad,
What is the definition of hypocrite that you are using here? It's not one that I'm familiar with.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

quote:
Was I wrong in pointing out in a thread bashing OSC's delivery that the delivery employed by some in bashing him or ideals he espouses in this forum are just as bad?

I already respectfully disagreed on this point with Dagonee earlier saying that I believe the "bashing" people you are referring to are generally fringe and not mainstream Hatrack. This is further collaborated by the Hatrack thread hits on the inflammatory words you, yourself gave as being generally discriptive of the "bashing" group.

AJ

CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
Chad,
What is the definition of bash that you are using here? It's not one I'm familiar with.

If you need me to define "bashing" and how "bitch slapping" another poster is bashing...I have nothing more to say to you.
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
Would you care to elaborate as to which board members?
To use another poster in this threads suggestion....do a search for the words.
katharina
Member # 827

So you don't know?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

Kath...raise the bar on your posts please.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

While I appreciate the sentiment behind St. Yogi's words as one of support, "bitchslap" was not my intent at any point.

I was digging after the facts and will let them speak for themselves.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

So far we've come up with ONE "liberal" name. Lalo. (And knowing Eddie he'd be proud he was that "one", but that's a different story.) Any others?

AJ

katharina
Member # 827

Stroman, I'll let you know when you can critique me. You're not there yet.

---

So...you don't know. You answered a request for elaboration with an insult.

[ October 21, 2004, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Chad,
My post was probably the highest profile post disgreeing with OSC's usage and the one you engaged afterwards with this tack. As such, you pretty much said I was both bashing him and being a hypocrite. I guess I'm questioning how you feel I was doing either one of these or how it would be reasonable to assume that these comments weren't directed at me.

Do you get this yet? When you say things here, they don't just go away. You don't get to say whatever you want. There are consequences to your actions. Own up to them already. Stop tying to weasel out of things and maybe you'll stop saying things that you need to weasel out of.

[ October 21, 2004, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

CStroman
Member # 6872

Then if you are so concerned about the "delivery" of OSC, why aren't all the posters here crying foul over his?

And yes Dagonee, that is exactly my point, which mutes the arguments against OSC's deliveries.

The outspokenness against his deliveries by those posting here, and the silence at some of the vitrol in the deliveries in this thread towards my posts.

It really hurts the validity of "crying foul" when one is so selective of it.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Chad you haven't been around long enough to see the outspokeness against some of OSC's deliveries. The people who were outspoken against them have often been made to feel unwelcome and as a result many are no longer here or post infrequently and rarely.

AJ

CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
So...you don't know. You answered a request for elaboration with an insult.

You have no right to "insult" me by assuming that by not answering, I don't know.

Look at yourself Kath before you post or make insulting claims like that.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Because as a poster, we don't want to be hypocrites do we?

And the simplest answer Dag I can give you is to re-read your question, and answer it yourself.

So this was a generic warning to people not to engage in a particular undesirable behavior that they weren't engaging in?

Again, none of the people criticizing OSC's delivery are engaging in these delivery methods.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
Chad you haven't been around long enough to see the outspokeness against some of OSC's deliveries. The people who were outspoken against them have often been made to feel unwelcome and as a result many are no longer here or post infrequently and rarely.

AJ

Thanks to all of you in this thread for trying to make me feel the same.

Think about it.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

quote:
Then if you are so concerned about the "delivery" of OSC, why aren't all the posters here crying foul over his?

Which "you" did you mean here? was it a specific person or a generality? Just trying to make sense; I'd appreciate the clarification.

AJ

katharina
Member # 827

Stroman: Fair enough - I was implying that your reticence was due to ignorance.

What is it due to instead?

CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
So this was a generic warning to people not to engage in a particular undesirable behavior that they weren't engaging in?

Again, none of the people criticizing OSC's delivery are engaging in these delivery methods.

Dagonee

They have against me, so it's valid. Their posts have proven as much. Read the responses by some of people in this thread, and then tell me they don't engage in that type of delivery or that type of vitrol.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:

And yes Dagonee, that is exactly my point, which mutes the arguments against OSC's deliveries.

The outspokenness against his deliveries by those posting here, and the silence at some of the vitrol in the deliveries in this thread towards my posts.

It really hurts the validity of "crying foul" when one is so selective of it.

Actually, except for the Bitchslap comment, none of these strike me as particularly vitriolic.

Dagonee

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
Stroman: Fair enough - I was implying that your reticence was due to ignorance.

What is it due to instead?

How about the fact that I'm not a dictionary and that blatant bashing has occurred on this thread directed at me, DIRECTLY.

And that I am only one person trying to respond to the bashing, questioning attacks of multiple people at once.

katharina
Member # 827

You and Tom should bond about that. That happens to him a lot.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Chad, this is not bashing. This was an attempt to get you to answer questions in a fact-based substanitive way.

And to be slightly snarky I admit intentionally, "If you can't run with the big dogs stay on the porch."

In other words EVERYONE else posting in this thread is capable of and has in times past had to deal with rebutting mutiple people at once on a controversial subject (quite often we've done it to each other.) Don't whine about it. It isn't becoming and we don't sympathize.

AJ

[ October 21, 2004, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard of martyr complexes, but around here, some days there's a competition for the pariah complex. [Angst]
Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

But the silence of posters, who cry foul in this thread at OSC, but say NOTHING at the "delivery" of others here, makes their arguements moot.

And I'll say this again ONE last time. If you can't understand it, then that is your problem. The original post was aimed at those who used those terms in the past (and I make an emphasis on TERMS as in Plural for those who purposely ignored it) on this board, the posts since then have been more evidence of "foul deliveries" by people in this thread which have backed up the original post.

They cry foul at OSC's deliveries, and then spew vitrol in their deliveries aimed at me. Some..not all, but it's YOUR responsibility to read the thread and see who those with foul deliveries are.

katharina
Member # 827

Stroman, you've missed Dag's essential point which is that is it DOES NOT MATTER what other people are doing (which is NOT a concession that other people are doing it) when discussing what OSC is doing.

Which is why I don't understand the purpose of this thread, because this, rightfully, couldn't be an open discussion because of the location.

fugu13
Member # 2859

What few things that might be construed as insults here have been rather mild. Spewing vitriol is more than a bit of an overstatement. OSC says things like that the deep, dark, secret of homosexuality is that many homosexual are converts due to sexual molestation and rape, which is several levels up from any insults that have occurred in this thread.

Second, OSC's insults (that we take offense at) are mostly aimed at whole populations, and can be refuted for many specific members of those populations. Many of the insults at you have been warranted; I fail to see a need to defend you from insults you have earned.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
Don't whine about it. It isn't becoming and we don't sympathize.

AJ

Nice delivery.
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
Many of the insults at you have been warranted; I fail to see a need to defend you from insults you have earned.
So if you earn a label, I can call you it?

Please.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Please name names chad and give a specific instance in this thread. Here's a list of people who have actually posted in this thread:

AmkaProblemka
fugu13
pooka
BannaOj
Scott R
Lost Ashes
Icarus
beverly
Xaposert
Synesthesia
Mr. Squicky
Godric
celia60
aspectre
St. Yogi
Katharina
Ela
Dagonee
Bokonon
TomDavidson
Noemon
SaraSasse

I think that's everyone. Please give us specifics as to all of the outrages things said about you and we will believe you.

So far I'm the worst offender other than the bitchslap comment which I didn't make. And the worst things I've said about you specifically personally directed is that you are "nearsighted" and that whining won't gain you sympathy here.

AJ

[ October 21, 2004, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
Stroman, you've missed Dag's essential point which is that is it DOES NOT MATTER what other people are doing (which is NOT a concession that other people are doing it) when discussing what OSC is doing.
It may not matter to you, but it hardly makes OSC "odd" when others do the same. It deflates the argument that he is doing something that others don't. Especially when it comes to those attacking his views.

That it doesn't matter to you, is your opinion. Glad you finally got it out there and tied it to the original thread.

fugu13
Member # 2859

I would be happy to hear what labels you think I have earned [Smile] .
CStroman
Member # 6872

Hey AJ,....search for it. [Big Grin]
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
So far I'm the worst offender other than the bitchslap comment which I didn't make. And the worst things I've said about you specifically personally directed is that you are "nearsighted" and that whining won't gain you sympathy here.

That you think I'm actually seeking it, is "nearsighted" snarky.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

[Roll Eyes] Uh, yeah Chad, I went through the last three pages of this thread in pretty excruciating detail to pull those names and failed to find the "it" you are talking about. Perhaps you can help me?

AJ

fugu13
Member # 2859

What people here have been saying OSC is unique in what he does? That's a silly position. People here have been saying OSC uses rhetoric in ways that polite people making well-reasoned arguments do not.
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

Does it really take 12 people to debate Chad? Couldn't you take turns? Draw a number out of a hat or something, or at least take shifts.

I hate to see some of Hatrack's finest wasting their time here. Of course, I enjoy a "gotcha" game as much as anyone, but I'm not a pillar of this community. [Smile]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

quote:
They cry foul at OSC's deliveries, and then spew vitrol in their deliveries aimed at me. Some..not all, but it's YOUR responsibility to read the thread and see who those with foul deliveries are.
And this isn't looking for sympathy? And I looked for the vitriol and I haven't found anyone, so what should I do now?

AJ

CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
People here have been saying OSC uses rhetoric in ways that polite people making well-reasoned arguments do not.

Funny, comming from the rudest threads active on the forum at the moment.

Actually, hilarious. [ROFL]

CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
And this isn't looking for sympathy? And I looked for the vitriol and I haven't found anyone, so what should I do now?

AJ

Ask Jesus to restore your sight (see I can be just as "nice" as you all!) EDIT: Should I stoop to the level displayed by many of you?

[ October 21, 2004, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: CStroman ]

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.