FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This is my own fault, but any advice would be appreciated - update, closing notice (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: This is my own fault, but any advice would be appreciated - update, closing notice
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I got a letter from the IRS today saying they are proposing changes to my 2002 tax return because the information I reported doesn't match what was reported to them by my employers, banks, or other payers. According to their calculations, I owe them an additional $934.

Here's the scoop: I had a 401K plan from a previous employer that I was just kinda ignoring. It was around $4000, and when I left the company my boss said something along the lines of "It's in a good plan, it won't hurt you anything to just leave it there and let it grow." I was a stupid kid, and did so. I then moved a couple of times, and didn't change my address with the company in question. See stupid kid statement above. I've been thinking lately about how I really should track that account down and get the money rolled over into my IRA.

Apparently in 2002 they sent me a check for the amount in the account and withheld the appropriate taxes. Or, rather, about half of the appropriate taxes. I think this is because the company in question doesn't exist anymore and the amount in my account wasn't big enough for the financial company to bother with.

I never received or cashed the check.

The company I worked for no longer exists.

The company listed on the IRS paperwork as disbursing the funds is State Street Retiree Services in Boston, MA. It does not come up in a google search or DexOnline yellow pages. There is not a phone number listed, only a PO Box address.

The IRS needs to receive my response by 11/17 or they "conclude that their proposed changes are correct." I need to respond with supporting documents.

If I could contact the company, confirm that the check was never cashed, and hopefully get a new one, I would have no problem paying the early withdrawal penalties for not having it rolled into an IRA when I should have. But I really don't want to pay them on money I never got.

If no one has a better idea, I will try to find the last paperwork I got on this account and go from there to try to get contact info for the company, and if all else fails send the IRS a letter explaining the situation and asking for more time to prove I never got the money. So, does anyone have a better idea?

Thanks for reading... and in advance for your help.

[ December 31, 2004, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
ELJay, that sucks. I would despute that amount to play for time, and then explain what happened.

Worse case situation is that you can arrange a payment plan with them.

Good luck!

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess this would be a bad time to mention that, where I'm currently living, I pay no taxes?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
If you can prove you didn't receive the money, you won't have to pay taxes. Proving that will be difficult and may require a very painful audit.

If the financial company is still around, I'd get in touch with them first. Try to get proof the check was cashed.

Whatever you do, don't miss the IRS deadline.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The company listed on the IRS paperwork as disbursing the funds is State Street Retiree Services in Boston, MA. It does not come up in a google search or DexOnline yellow pages. There is not a phone number listed, only a PO Box address.

State Street manages my firm's profit sharing plan. In fact, I just received my quarterly statement today. So they are in fact still in business. I only have a P.O. box for them as well.

Does your state have an "unclaimed money" division in their department of revenue? In Illinois it's called Cash Dash. If a legitimate attempt to pay money owed is unsuccessful, the funds are sent to the Department of Revenue to be held until such time as the claimant finally comes around. I discovered late last year that I had a final paycheck from a company I'd worked for almost 10 years ago sitting there - and my tax statements at the end of the year did in fact reflect that income. Try going to the website for your DOR and see what you can find.

As for the IRS, you may be able to get an auditor to waive penalties based on the money being in your state's equivalent of Cash Dash for all this time, but I don't know. You'll definitely owe the actual income tax on that distribution, though, which is of course all the more reason to track down those funds so you can cover the tax hit. All you can do is talk to the agent about that part and do so quickly, and see if you can request an extension to handle the actual payment.

[ October 21, 2004, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Goody Scrivener ]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Goody, that is a great idea....MA just started advertising the same thing for residents...basically "come and get your money!".

That might be a help, ELJay!

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Dagonee & Goody, thanks! I definately won't miss the deadline, and I'll check with the DOR first thing... if the money is there, that would rock.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

*sigh* It couldn't be that easy. There's a list on Minnesota's Department of Commerce website, and I am not on it. A Dana Williams is though, with no address attached, dkw you should check it out.

It was kinda like checking lottery numbers...

Kwea
Member # 2199

What...don't I count?

J/K, they had some constructive advice....lol...

Kwea

ElJay
Member # 6358

[Razz]
ElJay
Member # 6358

Here's my letter to State Street, which will go out priority mail tomorrow with any corrections y'all suggest before I leave for work:

quote:

State Street Retiree Services
for Innuity Savings Plan
PO Box 1389
Boston, MN 02104

October 21, 2004

Attention: Unclaimed Property

I received a notice from the IRS today of proposed changes to my 2002 income tax return, based on information reported to the IRS by your company that I did not include on my return. The identifying informtion provided is as follows:

Liza J. Williams
<removed>

I am aware that this is from a 401K plan that I had with a previous employer. I also am aware that I moved without providing a forwarding address. As a result, I never received this disbursement and was unaware of it until opening my mail this evening.

Please research this issue for me and determine where, exactly, this check was sent and if it was ever cashed. If it was cashed, please send me a copy of the front and back of the canceled check. If it was not cashed, please send me a replacement check as soon as possible.

If you need to contact me, I would prefer you do so by phone or e-mail so as to expedite this matter, as I am curently in arrears to the IRS and will not be able to pay them without settling the issue with you first. My contact information is as follows:

Daytime phone: <removed>
Evening phone: <removed>
e-mail address: <removed>

Thank you for your prompt response,

Liza J. Williams
<address removed>

[ October 21, 2004, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Your letter looks good. N.B. though, it's 401(k), not 401K. Refers to a specific section of (I think) US Revenue Code.

Were there any L. Williams' listed on the DOR site? I know the Illinois list has lots of first initial last name entries. If not, perhaps State Street still has this money, especially since this is 2002 tax year. It might simply be early enough in processing that it didn't get all the way to DOR submission.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

There was one L. Williams, but the address was not anywhere I'd lived and the amount was not right. and you're right about the (k), thanks. Wasn't thinking. [Smile]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
ElJay, you're a girl!!!!

I don't know why, but I thought you were a guy.

Not that I know anything about US tax law, but yeah, the letter looks good. One thing I would add, though.

"Please send me as soon as possible by mail a letter confirming the status of this check."

See, they may not issue the check for months, but getting the letter now may help your fight with the IRS, and it's likely that the IRS will require official correspondence from them on letterhead.

But now, as I think about it, you've specified that you prefer to receive correspondence via phone or email. I think it would be better to specify correspondence via phone or email AND letter so that you have hardcopy to provide as proof to the IRS. At least, for anything/everything that will help you in your fight against the IRS.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Actually, I was thinking of adding my work fax number and requesting written confirmation that way.

And yes, I'm a girl. I dunno what kind of guys you know, but you've been active in my mouse thread and I don't personally know any guys who would admit to being scared of mice. [Smile]

And I don't really think of it as a fight against the IRS... I prefer to think we are working collaboratively to get this worked out to both of our satisfactions. [Big Grin]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Whereas I used to be an accountant, and personal experience dictates that I view all interactions with any section of the government as possible opportunities to become a fight if not subverted in time. Whew! That sounds paranoid! [ROFL] In other words, do absolutely everything you can to protect yourself in any way possible. Document everything, every single phone conversation. Write detailed notes.

Laurie's law states that if you have them, you won't need them. But if you don't have them, you're scr*wed.

I know guys who admit to being scared of mice. Or spiders. Or something. I'm pretty sure I do. I dunno - I still thought you were a guy despite the mouse thing. But as I think about it, the chocolate bit should have given you away. [Smile]

ElJay
Member # 6358

Oh, I fully intend to document everything. Just 'cause I'm friendly doesn't mean I'm stupid.

And Noemon's a guy, and he's as weird about chocolate as I am, apparently. [Big Grin] So I guess there's just no telling.

[ October 22, 2004, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Oh hey, ElJay, I would never assume you were stupid. But there are plenty of smart people who don't document and then get into all sorts of trouble. I've met a lot of them. No, wait, they were clients, and that was what they did before they hired me.

And I kinda thought Noeman was a guy - mostly cuz when I see his name, I think of Newman from Sienfeld. Poor guy. Noeman, I mean. Not Newman. [ROFL]

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Just to let any other fledging workforce compatriots out there know, if you switch/lose your job, and your 401(k) has less than $5000 in it, the money management company will almost ALWAYS send you the money. This happened to me after working at IBM for a year (though I was able to use the internet, and IBM's and my new company's HR depts. effectively). If you know this is going to happen, or want to rollover your plan to your new jhob's 401(k), be sure to try and and get a "checkless" transfer/rollover. This reduces tax complexities that you might get involved in if they directly cut a check to you.

Good luck ElJay, I hope it gets resolved soon (and in your favor)!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur
Member # 4026

- posted      Profile for Arthur   Email Arthur         Edit/Delete Post 
ElJay - I am awaiting for an answer form my mom. She is the education coordinator for the IRS in the eastern US. As soon as I get an answer I'll let you know.

[ October 22, 2004, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: Arthur ]

Posts: 153 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

quidscribis, I knew you weren't implying you thought I was stupid... sorry, that was an occasion where a [Wink] would have worked.

See, the account was over $5000, before they withheld the taxes, and they kept it for at least 5 years if they sent the check in 2002. [Grumble] Not like that matters, but it makes me grumpy.

Authur, you are my hero. Thank you so much for asking, that is fabulous.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

One thing - it's almost always better to rollover your 401k to an IRA than another 401k. Your investment options are far less limited, and you will almost definitely lose less money to operating expenses, as long as you select your funds carefully. I use Vanguard; there are others as well.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Arthur, what a kindness. [Smile]
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur
Member # 4026

Eljay,
This is what my mom said to do -
Check box two on the letter saying that you do not agree and put in a note explaining what you said in the letter. Tell them that you will try to get information on the check. DO NOT SIGN THE LETTER. If you do that means that you agree with it. Then try to get proof that the check was never cashed or was cashed by someone else if you never got it. I would go back through your bank records if you can to be sure you didn't cash it and deposited it in your account and forgot about it. You got the letter because the company reported a distribution for that amout made to you. The IRS doesn't know if it was cashed or not, only that it was sent, because that's what the company reports.

You certainly do not want to pay the penalities and charges that were added on - especially if you never cashed the check. I hope this helps! If you need anything else please let me know.

Posts: 153 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I nominate Arthur for Hatrack Hero of the Day.

[The Wave]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Do we have an expert on everything here? I'm having some trouble translating some ancient Sanskrit...
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Boon is the other tax guru around here, but I think she's got personal issues keeping her away at the moment. But it sounds like for the moment you are set with what you need to do. I actually work across the street from one of the big IRS regional branches, but you can probably get the forms you may or may not need off the internet or locally in MN. But if you need anything specific let me know and I can get them for you if worse comes to worse.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag - If I remember correctly, my little brother reads Sanskrit.... [Wink]

[ October 22, 2004, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

This is one of the many, many reasons I love Hatrack.

Thank you so much, Arthur, and please thank your monther for me.

I sent the letter to the financial company today, certified mail, and I will fill out the form to send back to the IRS tonight with a letter and a copy of what I sent to State Street.

I'm breathing somewhat easier now... plus, I have stomped my mind back under control... I will admit that I had thoughts about what I could do with the rest of that $4,450 check once I had paid the taxes, assuming I ever get it. But the answer, of course, is that it is part of my retirement savings and I can put it right back into them where it belongs. (not motorcycle, not motorcycle, not motorcycle.)

[ October 22, 2004, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Always found it odd that the IRS doesn't have to work on the premise of innocent until proven guilty.

In a perfect world, you could just simply ask them to provide information that you had received and cashed the check. [Frown]

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[aside] That's funny that you should say that Dag. Just the other day when I was reading Kat's candy/feeling like crap thread, I learned about the dehydrating effect that sugar has when you eat it. That made a lot of sense to me and actually could explain some of my problems. I relayed this information to my mother and she said "Where'd you learn that?" I simply said "Hatrack." and she answered with "Oh. Ok." It's funny that my family excepts Hatrack as a reliable source for expert information on any subject! Cause it is!! [/aside]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur
Member # 4026

No problem Eljay- I don't have a lot of stuff to talk about here so whenever I can help I'm glad to do it.
Good luck.

closeyourmind
Member # 5916

- posted      Profile for closeyourmind   Email closeyourmind         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi LJ. I did a search for the PO Box and the zip code that was listed in your letter and there was a number associated with it. Check out the next to the last entry on this website. Under Employee Benefit Plan Participants. It might be a long shot, but you can try calling that number.

Also, State Street has a website, statestreet.com, and their corporate office is in Boston. There's a number on their website that you can also try calling.

Hope everything works out for you.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

closeyourmind, you are also ubercool.

Arthur, I don't have a lot to talk about either, but that's never stopped me. [Wink] Regardless, you seem to be the expert of the day in both of my threads today, so that's kinda neat.

ElJay
Member # 6358

I am floored. I called the number off statestreet.com and they pulled the account right up, said they merely administer these accounts for another company so when the check wasn't cashed they sent the money back to the other company. They provided me with an 800 number and a plan number to reference.

I'm on hold now...

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Wow. That's pretty good response. Keep going - maybe you'll get to the bottom of this today.

*fingers crossed*

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Awe ... some.

(Yay, Hatrackers. [Big Grin] )

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

The chase continues... if I was at the same address they could just send another check, but with an address change they need authorization from the plan administrator. They gave me a name and last known phone number and her last known home address. If that information is not correct, I need to contact the department of labor, which they also gave me the number for.

I'm not getting much work done today, but this is kinda fun. [Wink]

I'm also wondering if I have any shot at being allowed to still put this into my IRA and make up the $899 that was withheld for taxes and not be penalized on it. I think the chances are pretty slim, but I will certainly try.

Here goes the next call...

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
This is very cool. I love Hatrack - greatest resource EVER.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
If nothing else, it seems like you wouldn't owe the IRS until this year's taxes.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The time limit is from when it's disbursed. If they count that from when the new check is cut, then you can roll it over. Find out before they cut it, and have them do it so it rolls over.

Good luck.

Dagonee

Arthur
Member # 4026

If you get them to roll it into a current/new 401(K) then you don't owe taxes on it until you actually take it out. Tell them you would rather do that than to have them cut you a new check and give them your information [Smile]
ElJay
Member # 6358

Number disconnected.

Found her in the white pages.

Boy, was she surprised!

She agreed to call and request the check. I looked in her and saw Dagonee's very good advice and called the company back up.

The rep had to check on it, because he thought it was a valid question, but came back and said that they would not be able to do that.

However, I also found out that once she approves the request I should receive the check in 10 days. It was not yet noted on the account that she has called in, but I called pretty quick so it might not be there yet...

Dagonee
Member # 5818

When mine rolled over, I got the check but it was made out to Vanguard. This qualified as a successful rollover.

They might not have the right to refuse to rollover for you. If you have an IRA, call them and ask them for info on rolling a 401k into your account.

They're always happy to help with that. [Smile]

Congratulations on tracking her down.

Dagonee

Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
Woot!
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Feel the love.

[Group Hug]

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
This is great ElJay!

In a way the community here functions as kind of a gestalt being, you know?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

It's not quite over yet... one more complication.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
What?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

The reason they needed the plan administrator's approval is that there is a $25 stop check fee that needs to be paid. Since the company I worked for no longer exisits, they ain't gonna pay it. So I have to send a certified check for $25 to New Jersey, and then they'll send me the check. *deepbreaths*
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.