FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This is my own fault, but any advice would be appreciated - update, closing notice (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: This is my own fault, but any advice would be appreciated - update, closing notice
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's too bad. Could you pay with a credit card or something so as to hurry the whole process up?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur
Member # 4026

- posted      Profile for Arthur   Email Arthur         Edit/Delete Post 
I would question that - if the check has not been cashed it should have been returned to them (seeing as how you had moved)and then you shouldn't have to pay a stop request, besides the check is 2 years old and should not be able to be cashed.
Posts: 153 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I did question it, for just those reasons. They said that if the check was being sent to the same address it would be an issue, but to send it to a different address they needed to do it this way. Which says to me that it's not really a stop-check fee, but some other administrative fee, but that's what they insisted on calling it. And they will only accept a certified check.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Annoying, but if that's the only obstacle you're doing real good. [Big Grin]

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I kinda thought so. I've got the check, writing the letter to send along with it.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
closeyourmind
Member # 5916

- posted      Profile for closeyourmind   Email closeyourmind         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I'm glad things seem to be working out well. Hopefully the roll over can still happen.

Patrick Brown

Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur
Member # 4026

- posted      Profile for Arthur   Email Arthur         Edit/Delete Post 
Eljay,
You have 60 days from the date on the check to roll it over - even if it is made out to you, then on your 2004 taxes you would list the amount and write rollover next to it you will owe no taxes until you withdraw it from your 401(k). If you want to keep the money and use it now you will report it on your 2004 taxes and pay tax on it normally without being charged the interest and penalities.

[ October 22, 2004, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Arthur ]

Posts: 153 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
This has been an amazing day! Great that it works out so well.

the tax penalty on using your retirement account money is so high that you'd be better off rolling it over than EVER spending it at this point. You can finance the motorcycle another way and lose a lot less in taxes.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Arthur... are you sure? The financial company seemed pretty sure that I would not be able to do that and would have to take the tax hit. I would love to be able to do this instead... although I still need to come up with $900 that I hadn't been planning on. [Wink] 60 days is plenty, however, to take care of that.

Bob -- I was kidding on the motorcycle. This is retirement money, and that's where it's staying, one way or another.

Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Even if Arthur's not sure, I am. Just make sure you add the amount withheld for taxes when you roll it over. (The amount withheld will then show up as a credit on your return, so you won't really be out that money...but you will have to come up with it first.)

It's usually best to email me if you need to ask me a question. AJ's right, I do have some personal stuff going on right now, but I'm happy to help with this stuff. [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Boon, you rock!

Of course, I already knew that... [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Okay, thank you! The link still doesn't seem to address my exact situation, but I bet it's rare enough that it wouldn't be documented on-line. [Wink] I will trust my Hatrack experts.

The $899 isn't that big a deal, but I do have to say I'm glad it's October, so I won't be out the money for too long!

Boon
unregistered

"Any taxable amount that is not rolled over must be included as income in the year you receive it. If the distribution is paid to you, you have 60 days from the date you receive it to roll it over."

[ October 23, 2004, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Boon ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

Ah, gotcha. So very literal, these tax laws. [Wink]
Boon
unregistered

Yep, so when you roll it over, just add enough from your personal funds to cover what they held out. That way you'll avoid all penalties for early withdrawal. If you just rollover the amount of the check, you'll still get penalties for the amount of the taxes they held out. Ridiculous, I know...the IRS sucks.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
But Hatrack rocks. Holy canoli.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

So, the check came on November 3rd, with a date of November 2nd, they overnighted it to me. But I didn't want to do anything with it until I heard back from the IRS, just to be safe. Since I had 60 days, I figured I could wait a while before depositing it.

On December 2nd I got a letter from the IRS. Stating that they had received my letter and would respond within 60 days.

I decided to continue to wait until the week before Christmas to make the deposit. I had until January 2nd, but I wanted to be sure the credit union had time to process it and stuff.

No word from the IRS, and I got busy right before Christmas, so I ended up adding the check plus the $899 of my current funds to my credit union IRA last Monday, December 27.

Last night when I got home, there was an envelope from the IRS. I almost couldn't open it. It's amazing how these things make your stomach drop, even when you're pretty sure you're right.

quote:
CLOSING NOTICE

Thank you for providing us with additional information about the issue we recently wrote to you about. We are pleased to tell you that, with your help, we were able to clear up the differences between your records and your payers records...

YAY! [Big Grin]

Thank you, once again, to all of Hatrack for all the wonderful advice and support I got on this thread. It really helped, both with knowing what to do and fighting down the initial panic. And I promise to be more responsible with my retirement funds going forward. [Wink]

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

You handled this well from the get-go. Congratulations!

Now you just need to get your IRA into some kind of index fund. [Smile]

[ December 31, 2004, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! [Big Grin]
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Totally wow. [Smile]

It's in on of the credit union CDs now, I'm not sure if index funds are an option. I reevaluate the funds my current 401K are in every January and July anyway, so I'll probably go over my choices on the IRA again when I do that, too.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Cool. Long-term investments need to be more heavily in equities (stocks). If your CU doesn't offer them, there's plenty of firms such as Vanguard who will help you make the switch easily.

Asset allocation is the second most common mistake in retirement savings, behind not saving enough.

</end preaching mode>

Dagonee

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
*applause
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a little question... shouldn't the IRS refund the money already paid to them, since it's going back into a retirement plan?

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*dances*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ElJay!!!!!!!! I'm so glad this all worked out for you!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
So glad to hear it all worked out so well! [Party]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

quote:
Just a little question... shouldn't the IRS refund the money already paid to them, since it's going back into a retirement plan?

Yep.

quote:
Just make sure you add the amount withheld for taxes when you roll it over. (The amount withheld will then show up as a credit on your return, so you won't really be out that money...but you will have to come up with it first.)

ElJay
Member # 6358

Yep, I'll get it back when I do my taxes, I just had to come up with the difference up front first, so it was the same amount going in.

And Dags, I totally agree with you... over 80% of my retirement money is in stocks. But since I'm a long way from retirement, I probably will end up pushing this money into something more aggressive, too.

Right now I'm just happy I have it.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.