FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Teacup Tempest? or Looming Disaster?

Author Topic: Teacup Tempest? or Looming Disaster?
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Electronic Voting Security questioned in ComputerWorld Magazine.

In a nutshell, it seems some technical experts are questioning the coding and security procedures for the new voting machines that are scheduled to go online for 50 million voters in a couple of weeks.

The worst part of this article is that all the people with a vested interest in there not being any problem are basically saying "trust us, everything is OK" without actually addressing the issues, or even acknowledging there are issues in the first place.

To me this seems like it is going to be a major fiasco. In a race this close, where litigation is extremely possible after the results are tallied, a huge number of the votes will be unverifiable (no recount possible).

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the original Diebold code wasn't subjected to unit testing
If this is true ... wow ... I think I speak for programmers evverywhere when I say: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect if there is litigation in any of the swing states this election, all the e-votes will have to be thrown out because it will be impossible to verify their authenticity or to perform a recount.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it would have been good to have a year where we use the old method as well as the new method. :sigh:
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been very concerned about this since I first heard about it. It seems only logical to me to expect that this will have major problems. I hope I am wrong.

[Frown] [Angst] [Frown]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I wonder if they will have any problems with people who are deeply allergic to technology. You know, like people who can't wear watches? It's really more like technology is allergic to them.

When we first had intimations of this kind of problem, why didn't we request absentee ballots? Aren't those generally all written? I don't mean to put my head in the sand, but worrying about this now is just going to stress me out.

[ October 22, 2004, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, you can dial in to these machines, change the vote tallies around, and leave--all without leaving any traces.

In fact, the access password is KJN B*****

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Federal Government
Member # 6807

- posted      Profile for The Federal Government           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, no you don't!

Everybody, look away while I erase this password.

OK. You can look back now.

(Whew!)

Posts: 11 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
What gets me -- what really gets me -- is that everyone I know who knows about this issue is deeply concerned about it, and almost everyone I know knows about it. But despite this, there's been no serious effort among politicians to respond to that concern.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

What have various people done? Written their reps? Hunger strike? It's too late to even do that effectively.
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, Tom. I think the reason is that this is really a difficult problem, beyond the technical ken of nearly every politician who might have the means to effect changes in this area. The fact is, there is provably no way to design an election system that

• has a secret ballot and
  • allows for accurate auditing of the results.
If you want a proof, I'll be happy to oblige.
Therefore there must be some trust within the system. Putting such trust into the hands of a company that has shown its partisan leanings as well as its general incompetance is probably a bad idea. This problem of trust is nothing new, by the way. The new part is that the system is becoming more homogeneous, so is more susceptible to a single attack.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.