Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Willow

Author Topic: Willow
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched willow last night for the first time in....a while.

I remember enjoying it when I was younger, but it seemed a bit cheesy and when compared to LOTR had some major plausibility flaws. (I hope that makes sense considering it's a fantasy story)

I still thought it was an ok movie. The little "brownies" were the Jar-Jar binks of the film (and there were TWO of them!) so I see where George Lucas get's his "cookie cutter" character types from.

Anyone seen this lately, or revisted it after not seeing it for a while?

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a poster here who started the Best Willow FanSite on the web once, although said poster is no longer associated with it.

I love this movie - the perfect archetypal hero story.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a trilogy of books about what happens in the future by Chris Claremont (yes, the X-Men guy) and Goerge Lucas.

It was pretty good, but the feel is entirely different than the movies.

The brownies kick butt in it, though.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I considered seeing that movie again. It's been a long time.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

It just screamed "Failed Star Wars import into Fantasy" for me. You had the rogue hero (Han Solo), the Evil Queen (Darth Vader), the Unlikely Hero (Luke Skywalker), C-3P0 and R2-D2 comic relief (the brownies) and the strong, yet feminine female (The Princess). You even had the stolen battle plans (the baby).

It was hard not to compare it to Star Wars as a standard for me.

I still enjoyed it, but some parts were just a little too "out of place" or inexplicably "over the top".

I'm nitpicky though, so that probably explains it.

[ October 22, 2004, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: CStroman ]

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the Evil Queen (Darth Vader)
[ROFL]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"You even had the stolen battle plans (the baby)."

"...when they face the power of this fully functional little person!"

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the Star Wars link when I first saw it, but I had the Queen being the Emperor, the General being Darth Vader (minus any redemption, of course).

You also had a Ben and Yoda (the fairy lady and the old sorcerous).

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

Doh you're right Dag. That's even better.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Joseph Campbell - Hero with a Thousand Faces

There's a reason it reminded you of Star Wars, but it's not because it ripped off stories. This is an old, old story.

If you want to know about it, here's a place to get started.

Both Willow and Star Wars are examples of the archetypal hero story, described best by Joseph Campbell in the 1940s. It wasn't that it was trying to copy Star Wars, but it was pitcher of water from same spring from which Star Wars was drawn.

[ October 22, 2004, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the Evil Queen (Darth Vader)
Didn't know he swung that way.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

Could you imagine the offspring of that match up?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.