FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Rehab is for quitters. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Rehab is for quitters.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I've never heard anyone say, "It's impossible to stop drinking without AA." I have heard them say, "It was impossible for ME to stop drinking without AA."

I'm sure there are those who preach the first, but I haven't come across them.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Did I come across that way, Dag? I didn't intend to. I'm simply saying she is there, in that group, so don't undercut it, please.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
No, this was a reply to an earlier post - likely the one you were replying to. I liked both your posts on the subject.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope I didn't sound like I was trying to undercut anything. I'm actually incredibly supportive of what she's doing; I was just trying to let her know that if she felt uncomfortable with the whole "higher power" business that putting faith in it wasn't her only option for successfully beating her addictions.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I use 12 step for overeating, but I use Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and meditation for my Anxiety and OCD. They are not incompatible ideas. The important thing is to realize that if I had the power to stop these things on my own, I would have done it years ago because they were making me miserable. I have to do some things that don't come naturally in order to get past some of the unpleasant aspects of being me. I've had to redefine my "Self".

I think a "higher power" that is community and love is just as close to the truth as the white bearded emporer of heaven that I grew up with, and had always believed in but who I always regarded as competition when it came to my interests.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave] [The Wave] [The Wave] Three Cheers for NdRa!!!! You can do it, Sandy!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you, NdRa! What [The Wave] a strong decision.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on your progress thus far, NdRa, and good luck for the future!
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
[Kiss]

You can do it.

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig avoiding landmarks
Member # 6792

- posted      Profile for Danzig avoiding landmarks           Edit/Delete Post 
I promise I am not trying to undercut AA... that said, there certainly are other options. I have a hunch that the individual's sincere commitment to sobriety is far more important than the program used to help. Different programs for different people. If AA is obviously not working, it might be time to try something else, but as long as it is stay in it.

I will undercut to some extent the other *A programs. AA was developed by alcoholics, who understood that drug. It really is effective for most alcoholics who truly want to quit, enough to be worthy of being considered the "default option" for alcohol. Different drugs have different issues, though. Different highs, different social issues, different reasons to use. I am not saying the *As do not work at all. Certainly for any drug the desire to quit is the most important factor. I just think the default needs to be tailored to the specific drug more than it is.

On a more practical note... Sandy, they might have already told you this, but maybe not. If you should relapse once, it is not the end of the world. Not saying it is fine to have just one... but if you do have just one (or more) one night, that does not mean it is hopeless so you might as well give up. The next morning, figure out why you slipped, and move on. If there is one common trait I have noticed about users of any drug, it is letting the one time snowball.

Hopefully that last paragraph will be irrelevant. About the higher power and faith... often, if one repeats a statement enough, they begin to believe and/or internalize it, even if they did not believe it at first. (However, the more one accepts the validity of the statement to start with, the better this works. It is also more effective with opinions and attitudes rather than plain facts.) This can also be used to change attitudes and desires.

Make a written list of every negative aspect of alcohol, narcotics, etc. that is true and real to you. Positives will probably come, but leave them in your head. If there are any other negative aspects that may not be real, but you wish them to be, put them down too. Rather than leaving them at the end of the list, disperse them between the ones you already believe. Say every item on the list either mentally or out loud, two to ten times through two or three times a day. Repeat until it works or it has been a year and obviously is not. It is easier to turn down a drink or pill when your brain is emphasizing the negatives instead of the positives.

Back to faith in a higher power, or the program, or anything... this will be harder to do, but still worth trying. It is free and always will be. I doubt it will make you believe in God or any given religion, but it could very easily work for a vaguely defined higher power. Something like, "AA will work if I work with it." "There is a power greater than myself that/who will help me through this." I would caution that this should not be done if you are very good at denial. If you have regularly and sincerely gone to meeting for a year or two, and are still drinking regularly, obviously the faith is misplaced.

You mentioned smoking like a chimney during rehab. If you currently use caffeine, it is a better overall drug than nicotine. Healthier, cheaper, more socially acceptable, longer lasting high, and arguably more enjoyable high. On the other hand, if you do not use it then do not start. It is approximately as addictive as cocaine. Withdrawal is unpleasant and caffeinated beverages are shoved in your face everywhere you go. It also has its own set of health problems. Still better than cigarettes.

Watch out for other subsitute drugs. Antidepressants might be worth it but might not. Sugar, especially processed sugar is bad for the teeth and not particularly healthy. Chocolate has sugar, caffeine, and theobromine in it. Food in general is a drug, one that is currently an epidemic in this country. Substitute drugs are sometimes a good idea, but generally not. Alcohol might make you miserable, but nicotine is more likely to kill you.

Better substitutes are activities that release dopamine and/or endorphins. Internet, books, movies, poker, whatever. Hell, as much as I rant against television it could take the place of a cold one. Gambling would work but is probably not a good idea. In my own experience community service will give a head buzz similar to a low but long-lasting dose of MDMA, although no body buzz. On the other hand, it has no comedown, is usually free, and any brain damage is reversable. It seems to work even if you are only doing it to get high.

I would guess that for at least two thirds of users, being high means they are not bored. Even if you are part of the one third, you probably were not bored when you were acquiring or actively ingesting drugs. Boredom will be your enemy. Obviously meetings will help, but if you do not want to be one of those people who attend three meetings a day for the rest of their life you will need something else.

We're all rooting for you.

Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I do believe in the program, and I've seen it work miracles in the lives around me. I want it to work so badly for me, but can't seem to embrace it in a way that may be essential to my everlasting recovery. Without meaning to sound too melodramatic, this really is a matter of life and death for me. I'm afraid I can't seem to fully surrender the way i'm supposed to. Damn questions keep popping into my head and this isn't due to defiance as I am going to "work" the program regardless.

I need a sponsor, but am finding it so difficult to call anyone. It's so comfortable at my parents house, and even nicer not being a social person for the first time. *Groan* working this program means I have to socialize, and get really involved.

My sobriety excites me, while the 12-steps doesn't.

Sandy, it's not melodramatic to say that it's life or death. It may very well be the truth, and it's to your credit that you see it. It tells me that you're willing to be totally honest (brutally honest, even), not only with yourself, but with others. To me, that is very encouraging for you being able to stay the course on a program about which you have doubts.

I'd be surprised (and alarmed a little) if you were gungho and enthusiastic about the 12 Steps this early in your recovery. The first premise is one that is *very* hard to swallow in a genuine sense, and it is my belief that it only comes with practice. Being willing to suspend disbelief, or at least pretend that you're suspending disbelief, is what I've heard called Step 0. Beyond that, I also find it helpful to stay away from the idea that I don't surrender as much as I'm "supposed to". We surrender as much as we can for that moment. Putting more pressure on is just discouraging.

If nothing else, the community associated with the 12 Steps will help you build the accountability and social connection that makes staying clean and sober thatmuch more possible. Even if you can't swallow the Higher Power stuff, go to your meetings. Do your Inventory and reconcile what you find there. If you isolate, I will worry about you...I've never seen that work out well. In fact, if you start to isolate, please drop me an email so I can reply telling you to get on the phone to someone in your group. Right now.

I believe that some people can get clean without AA or its equivilents (hubby practices an equivilent, though he's done AA also). I have a private, fully admitted prejudicial belief, however, that people who are successful with AA are ultimately much happier than those who try other methods, but that's just my own prejudice. It has to do with dealing with what led you to use and getting it healed rather than covering it up.

I'm so, so rooting for you and proud of what you've accomplished so far!

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
Where is Sandy? Please post again soon, if you can. We all want to hear from you. [Smile]
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NdRa
Member # 2295

- posted      Profile for NdRa   Email NdRa         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Oh man, I was pumped at the beginning of all this. I'm afraid I am isolating a bit. As a non-sober person, I was quite the social butterfly. Constantly, people surrounded me at all times, and I loved it. Now I find it hard to even want to see the few people I still care about. I can't even manage to speak with people over AIM.

I am forcing myself to attend meetings. I haven't called anyone from the program and I don't bother answering my phone. This behaviour is very unlike me.

The cravings to use are not there. I have no desire to drink or get loaded. I spend my days alone excersizing, reading, and writing. This feelss like an onset of depression that I refuse to cure by using. I'm completely living in my brain right now and can't fathom doing anything else. Staying at my parents house feels safe and good.

Thanks again for all your support.

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NdRa
Member # 2295

- posted      Profile for NdRa   Email NdRa         Edit/Delete Post 
I apologize for not being able to better express what is going on. This whole living sober thing is surreal to me, and my head is mostly in a fog. I really do appreciate you guys for listening to me whine as I am finding it hard to speak to anyone. It is suprising that I am managing to share with you folks. [Smile]
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's good to hear from you. As far as your recovery, there are plenty of options, if you find your current approach is making you depressed, try something else. If you need someone to talk to, there are plenty of people here who would be more than happy to lend their support.
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*hug* It's a big adjustment, Sandy. You're still figuring it all out, and that's ok. [Smile]

Drop me a line when you feel up to sociability again. (and with any luck, it will be at a time that I am in the mood as well -- I have never been a social butterfly [Wink] )

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The cravings to use are not there. I have no desire to drink or get loaded. I spend my days alone excersizing, reading, and writing. This feelss like an onset of depression that I refuse to cure by using. I'm completely living in my brain right now and can't fathom doing anything else. Staying at my parents house feels safe and good
Keep going to meetings and working through it. What you are describing is not unusual for this stage of your progress. Just hang in there with your resolve to not let it drive you back to using, and you will get through it okay.

Sometimes we have to find a new "normal" compared to our old one.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs sandy*

I've missed you on IM. But, if you don't want to talk that's fine too.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.