FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Rather than derail the OSC thread (Hey dkw!)

Author Topic: Rather than derail the OSC thread (Hey dkw!)
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you going to change your last name to Scopatz or the IRL equivalent? P.S. Sorry if this has been discussed a million times and I've missed it.

[ October 26, 2004, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
She signed her posts for a while* as ***The Future Mrs. Bob Scopatz***, so I think that's a yes.

*In this case, "a while" = about fifteen seconds, for a joke, before she sugared herself out.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
or should Bob be Mr. Dana Williams?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Or the formidable Williams-Scopatz?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Williams-Scopatz sounds like a chess opening or fencing technique.

"Unless you have studied your Williams-Scopatz - and I have."

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, please.

It should be Scopatz-Williams.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a fan of merging the names.

Mr. and Mrs. Willpatz

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Or Scopiums
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Scopiums sounds like something you need to take Cipro for.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually it sounds like a super-villan's wimpy brother in law. Evil, but only in a cute little hellion kind of way.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Even if someone keeps her name it is proper to address her as "Mrs. <Husband's full name>", so that doesn't necessarily indicate her taking his name.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Has no one even thought of Willopatz? I also think they should combine their first names.

Bana Willopatz.

Dob Willopatz.

Baba Willopatz.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still voting for Willpatz.

quote:
Even if someone keeps her name it is proper to address her as "Mrs. <Husband's full name>", so that doesn't necessarily indicate her taking his name.
Oooh that's going to piss off my sister. It's one of her objections to getting married. She can't stand the idea of suddenly becoming Mrs. <husband's name>.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Suneun,
Willpatz is fine, I just liked the "o" to make it flow off the tongue a little easier.

And I disagree that it is proper to call a woman by a name she chooses not to be called. (except in this case, where we are renaming the couple at our whim.)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I’m changing my name, but I’m keeping my initials.

As detailed in this thread.

[ October 26, 2004, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Danbert (using "Robert" rather than "Bob")
Robana

[Big Grin]
AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Robana fana fo fana!
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Danbert fanbert fo fanbert...
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
*groan* okay - now that is going to be stuck in my head the rest of the afternoon, Dag!
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

[Evil]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

He has that effect on people, Farmgirl.
fugu13
Member # 2859

One should not call someone a name they do not want to be called, but in terms of etiquette where no further information is available it is an acceptable form of address.

For instance, it is perfectly acceptable to send an invitation to Mr. and Mrs. Bob Jones, unless you know that Mrs. Bob Jones prefers to be called Mrs. Samantha Rogers, in which case you send the invitation to Mr. Bob Jones and Mrs. Samantha Rogers.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Dr. Bob and Rev. Dana Scopatz.

It’s kind of fun to type. If I had a notebook, I could write it surrounded by little hearts!

♥♥♥♥♥

Okay, I’m gagging myself out again.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Actual of all those convoluted names, I prefer Raven.

Yeah, it is the best name.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Further note: It is still not well settled whether or not a woman who does not take her husband's name should use Mrs. or Ms.

I know one teacher where I went to high school, for instance, that uses her husband's name and Mrs. in personal situations, and her own name and Ms. in professional ones.

dkw
Member # 3264

Obvious solution: she should get a degree that comes with a title and not have to worry about it. [Wink]
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, fugu, it's never proper to use Mrs. if the woman keeps her own name, it's always Ms. That's why your teacher switches the honorific when she's using her own vs. her husband's name. So in your example it would be Mr. Bob Jones and Ms. Samantha Roberts, or Mr. & Mrs. Bob Jones. And if she has taken his name but you want to use both first names, it would be Mr. Bob and Ms. Samantha Jones. You should never use Mrs. and then use the woman's given name.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Who makes up these rules anyways?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
Dr. Bob and Rev. Dana Scopatz.
Also, does anyone else think of the muppets everytime they hear/see "Dr. Bob?" Just wondering.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Huh. I wonder if that's why he uses "Robert" on professional stuff. I shall have to ask.
ElJay
Member # 6358

He's probably too old for that to be the reason for him.

[Wink]

dkw
Member # 3264

No, we discussed childhood TV memories this weekend and he watched The Muppet Show.

He was too old for Sesame Street, though. So he probably never read Monster at the End of This Book. It's sad, really.

ElJay
Member # 6358

Everyone has their faults.
fugu13
Member # 2859

ElJay -- I understand that in a vacuum that's what one would choose, but I also know there are many women who ask to be called Mrs. when they are still using their own names, so many that while formal etiquette might prefer otherwise, it has to acknowledge the demand.
ElJay
Member # 6358

See, while if someone told me that was their preference, I would certainly honor it, the way I understand formal ettiquite is that it does not acknowledge such demands. So while the polite thing to do is to use the form of address the person prefers, it is still the wrong form of address.
fugu13
Member # 2859

Formal etiquette changes, whatever some practitioners would like to believe. It is not well-defined, either, even when it has not changed, partly because it relies on such things as common sense, which are also not well defined [Wink] .
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"He was too old for Sesame Street, though. So he probably never read Monster at the End of This Book. It's sad, really."

Yes, but he was old enough to be able to watch the Brady Bunch on Friday nights, and that cancels out the sadness of a Sesame Streetless childhood.

Wait. He might have been too old for the Bradys as well. OK, let me think.

The Munsters! He is old enough, and was young enough, to be able to watch first run episodes of the Munsters. Go Bob! (or should I say Robana...)

dkw
Member # 3264

The Sesame Street thing doesn’t bother me nearly as much as the fact that he’s never read A Wrinkle In Time or any of The Chronicles of Narnia, though.

But he just found out that I’ve never seen Young Frankenstein and almost had a coronary. I guess I shouldn't spring stuff on him like that. You’ve got to be careful with these old guys.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh, Dana! No "Young Frankenstein," and you are marrying Bob? And the sad thing is it just won't be as funny as it would have been when you were a teen. Funny, but not AS funny. Just like The Chronicles could never be the same as read when a child.
dkw
Member # 3264

Oh, I don’t know -- when I figured out that the Green Lady was really Ludwig Feuerbach it gave me no end of amusement. Much funnier than when I read them as a child.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Contrary to popular opinion, I did not help edit the 1st draft of the Bible.

Elizabeth...Addam's Family was more my speed, but the Munsters were definitely worth watching. As was Batman. Good corny jokes. [Big Grin]

I do remember when TV was ONLY black & white. But I remember the shows as if they were all in color. Go figure.

Push button phones were a BIG deal and not that many people had them when I was learning to DIAL a phone.

Radio still had a few serials but mostly for nostalgia's sake.

I did have Captain Kangaroo, Romper Room and Mr. Rogers.

Sesame Street might've been a possibility had I lived in one of the few PBS markets back in the early days, but I think it started where I was back in the early 70's, in which case I was a little too old.

Fortunately for dkw, I own a copy of Young Frankenstein and she can give it a try whenever she'd like. I was a little shocked that this viewing would also be her introduction to Cloris Leechman (sp?)!!! That just surprised the heck out of me.

I'm just glad Dana is taking it easy on me. More shocks like that and I might have to check into the ICU for a few days!!!

[Eek!]

[Grumble]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You should never use Mrs. and then use the woman's given name.
*shakes head* Actually, that is the proper form of address for a divorcée. So I am formally addressed as Mrs. Rivka <insert last name here>. Which is good, because I don't wish to be addressed as Mrs. <TheJerk> <insert last name here>. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Rivka: [ROFL]
quote:
Formal etiquette changes, whatever some practitioners would like to believe. It is not well-defined, either, even when it has not changed, partly because it relies on such things as common sense, which are also not well defined .
Fugu and I agree [Eek!]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"But I remember the shows as if they were all in color. Go figure."

Bob, I do too. Weird.

Must go watch the game.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Go Sox!

Bob, you aren't really that much older than me, I remember all of those too.

I was originally from PA, and I have met Mr. Rogers...what a wonderful man! I was too shy to sya hi to him (I was 6!), and after the flight HE came up to ME and asked if I wanted a picture, autographed. He had noticed me staring at him the enire filght.

He was a wonderful guy, and everyone in PA loved him and his show.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I just have to comment about the whole hyphenated name thing that was happening on the linked thread, but I didn't want to drag it back up again, so I'm posting it here.

Can you imagine if Dana and Bob had a kid with a hyphenated name and the kid married someone else with a hyphenated name? Jill Williams-Scopatz-marries Tom Smith-Jones and become Jill Williams-Scopatz-Smith-Jones? I mean, really, where would it all end?

I really liked the idea in Father of the Bride. Where they take the letters of the existing name and make up a whole new one. I think Steve Martin said something like, "You mean I could have a granddaughter named Sophie Zenkman?"

In my family, for some weird reason, my son, brother and father all have my grandmother's maiden name as their middle name. I had such hopes when I was young. I desperately hated my name. It's one syllable, one syllable. Jane Doe. Like that, you know? I really wanted something with two or more syllables. So of course, I married Bob Smith and became Jane Smith. Ugh. So, I decided to use my middle name for everything. Jane Kathryn Smith. I'm such a dork.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Obvious solution: she should get a degree that comes with a title and not have to worry about it.
A friend of mine asked me recently whether I would be Ms or Mrs when I was married.

I replied instantly "Neither - I'll be Dr of course"

[Blushing]

Guess I should finish this year before I count the PhD as a given...

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Thank you, Bob and Dana, for making me laugh on so many different occasions before even getting married. [Big Grin]

Edit 2:

Wait a minute, does that mean that "dkw" will now be posting as "dks?" [Eek!]

[ October 26, 2004, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

No. Read my first post on this thread.

Not only am I going to stay dkw for all internet related activities, I am going to continue to initial real life things this way. I'm much more attached to my initials than I am to my last name.

(Besides, it would have to be dk_s)

Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A friend of mine asked me recently whether I would be Ms or Mrs when I was married.

I replied instantly "Neither - I'll be Dr of course"

That is simply beautiful.

Good luck on the degree!

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.